Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

1 hour ago, TheDogShow said:

Maybe a bit of a change in direction but I'm eager to know why the 947 doesn't attract as much discussion and interest as the CTCT. I live in jhb and do both races annually but for some reason, there just seems much less interest and excitement about 947. Post about CTCT and you get 10 replies within 5mins while there is very little going on on the 947 thread.

Is it just the history and legacy of CTCT?

how many guys from Slaapstad travel up to Gangster's Paradise for the 947?

Well, the one is the Aurgust , other is just a number.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to agree with some of the comments, having done 947's since 1998, I've pretty much done just about every variation of the route. Its never as interesting as CTCT. There are maybe a handfull of interesting parts, but its mostly just a challenging (for me) bike ride through closed off streets and highway.

1 hour ago, TheDogShow said:

Maybe a bit of a change in direction but I'm eager to know why the 947 doesn't attract as much discussion and interest as the CTCT. I live in jhb and do both races annually but for some reason, there just seems much less interest and excitement about 947. Post about CTCT and you get 10 replies within 5mins while there is very little going on on the 947 thread.

Is it just the history and legacy of CTCT?

how many guys from Slaapstad travel up to Gangster's Paradise for the 947?

To add to my other post, fwiw I flew up once for a social 94.7 and enjoyed it a lot, even just because its a variation on what we normally ride in CPT. Liked the riding on the closed highway into town and riding in town was interesting. I am seriously considering skipping DC next year and giving the 94.7 a proper go.

Have lived in joburg my whole life and only done 18(could be 1 or 2 out) 947s. Done 31 CTCTs. I used to ride the 947 because I had to when racing. Now that I'm more of a competitive fun rider, I don't bother. To be honest, it's a k@k race. It's not just the route, it's just not organized as well in my opinion. I have done just about every race on our calender and CTCT is tops in every aspect, followed by the kremetart. 

The comments are very fair regarding 947 and CTCT. For me, jhb is sexy but in part because I live here and I choose to see it through that lense. However, CTCT and CT is definitely much sexier. CTCT has so much pull that I've in the past, due to having a young family, flown down on my own on the Saturday, race and then fly back at 2pm on Sunday. A mate once dropped me off at the airport post-race, still in my kit. I checked in and walked into the lounge, still in my bib. Got a few funny looks from the middle managers having a few snacks before their flight, but had a nice shower and was at home at 6pm.

There's a part of me that would've loved to see some reciprocity and support for the  947 from Capetonians but logic must prevail I guess.

Both events sell out. But look CT, is a destination, globally. So it certainly has a higher touristy pull across the board, although Jhb has a higher tourist number than people would expect. Also factor that the Cape imho has a stronger and broader cycling culture that's deeper than Gauteng's largely recreational/competitive focus.

Another generalisation, Cape Town folk generally just do not travel and when they do, its rarely outside their own province. Which is a shame because theres incredible landscapes and events around the country. 

The rare time I do road. For me personally I prefer Shova, have tie to KZN and it's an easier commute. Plus the last few times I've done the rode to Shova, which is a beautiful cycling experience and epitomises alot how cycling appeals to me. 

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

To be fair, 'most' of the top commenting hubbers are not particularly good bike riders.  Some are, but most are not. The average cyclist out there is also not a particularly good cyclist and they talk even less about their hobby than said hubbers. I'd go as far as to say that the average cyclist in SA doesn't even know the 94.7 exists if they live outside of joburg.

It's difficult to gauge as the average cyclist doesn't engage much outside of just riding their bikes

The average cyclist is average 

Doing the 94.7 for the first time this year, despite LWB telling me its shite. Curiosity has got the better of me. Would normally do amashova, but since it didn’t happen this year(Durban to Pinetown and back is NOT amashova) we decided to try the 947. 

As to the CTCT vs 947, I have never heard anyone say: “Hey, let’s go on holiday for a week to Joburg!” 

Just as for a beautiful, scenic, varied route, nothing (except maybe Clarence Drive between Gordons Bay and Hangklip) can compete with the CTCT. 

Ag, why listen to me? I'm a Capie, a CTCT groupie, and I live with my blinkers and rose coloured glasses firmly on, in my own little colony here at the tip of our big rock (not under it, mind you, just at the foot of it). But at least I'm not from the Republic of Hout Bay. THOSE people are the really biased ones who don't even travel as far as the Boerewors Curtain. (At lease I can see the Boerewors Curtain from where I live!) ???? 

Edited by DJR

After 28 tours consecutively plus the windy one that didn't happen, I was hoping to get to 30. But alas no. My first Argus was R40 to enter and petrol was around R4.00 per litre. As a pensioner on a fixed monthly income that hasn't changed for 9 years, I cannot afford the R680 entry plus fuel costs tolls etc to drive down to C.T. from Jhb. Going to cost around R8000 to R9000 to come down for the weekend. Oooo eh eh. To all those who are going to do it have a good ride and keep the rubber on the road. Piggy 1951

9 hours ago, Jase619 said:

Doing the 94.7 for the first time this year, despite LWB telling me its shite. Curiosity has got the better of me. Would normally do amashova, but since it didn’t happen this year(Durban to Pinetown and back is NOT amashova) we decided to try the 947. 

As to the CTCT vs 947, I have never heard anyone say: “Hey, let’s go on holiday for a week to Joburg!” 

Not a shite race. When the roads are filled with spectators, it's pretty cool. Riding on Kyalami race circuit is pretty special too. But let's see what happens this year.

Amashova was a let down this year. Felt like a hard club ride. The rain was a nice touch ????

49 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Not a shite race. When the roads are filled with spectators, it's pretty cool. Riding on Kyalami race circuit is pretty special too. But let's see what happens this year.

Amashova was a let down this year. Felt like a hard club ride. The rain was a nice touch ????

many years ago Kyalami was open on certain days for cycling training, used to do that often.

It is the most special part of the race for me, not only the motoring heritage, the memories there with my dad watching the racing (long before they revamped the circuit in the 90's) and then my uncles ashes that are scattered in the kitty litter through the esses.

The highway section is cool mainly because you get the highway to ourselves for one day of the year.