Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

Around Lakeside a chap asked me to work together with him. He was after a 3h30 after doing a 4h10 last year while I was happy to do a sub 4 bearing in mind conditions and lack of training. We did quite well but I dropped him at Smits and saw later he did just over 4 while I did  a 3h51. I think people underestimate what it takes to knock time off. I recall the mid 90's when I was trying really hard for a sub 3 and had several sub 3h20's before everything worked and I did a 2h58. Its a combo of factors from weather, training/health, start group and race experience.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Thomo said:

Sometimes enforced rest can do one the world of good.!

Keep reading the thread ... it may inspire you to make a return. 😊

For your 1st line, I couldn't agree more.

For your 2nd, maybe but probably not. I run more now, and only spin for a bit of cross-training.

1 minute ago, Headshot said:

Around Lakeside a chap asked me to work together with him. He was after a 3h30 after doing a 4h10 last year while I was happy to do a sub 4 bearing in mind conditions and lack of training. We did quite well but I dropped him at Smits and saw later he did just over 4 while I did  a 3h51. I think people underestimate what it takes to knock time off. I recall the mid 90's when I was trying really hard for a sub 3 and had several sub 3h20's before everything worked and I did a 2h58. Its a combo of factors from weather, training/health, start group and race experience.

Willing to drop 40mins off of his previous time was quite a goal 😄

On 3/15/2022 at 10:21 AM, Eldron said:

Oh sweet jesus. Did the winky face not give it away?

Or the fact that it does 80kph?

Of the fact that Chris and I were having a laugh about lugging a heavy e-commuter around the CTCT course?

Or the fact that it does not, in fact, have any pedals?

Referring an electric motorbike as an ebike wasn't really that funny in 2016 when you first tried it. A winky face will only make a ******** commenter into a winky.

2 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

I think I was club 21 before my first sub3. 

well that would save me a lot of effort then!...edit: pretty sure a tandem result does not count for sub3!

Edited by Shebeen

20 minutes ago, Headshot said:

For me improving from 3h40 to 3h10 was fairly easy, but shaving off that last 10 minutes took a far bigger jump in effort, equipment, training & planning (+ luck!)

Just now, Shebeen said:

Referring an electric motorbike as an ebike wasn't really that funny in 2016 when you first tried it. A winky face will only make a ******** commenter into a winky.

Ladies and gentleman I have a fan. Stalkerfan sure but given that he has been a fan for 6 years by his own admission I'm counting it!

Bike + Motor = Motorbike. Whether you switch the motor on with a button or by slowing turning the cranks you get 250w or more for free right? They're motorbikes. If your ego feels better when you call it an ebike go right ahead.

10 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Ladies and gentleman I have a fan. Stalkerfan sure but given that he has been a fan for 6 years by his own admission I'm counting it!

Bike + Motor = Motorbike. Whether you switch the motor on with a button or by slowing turning the cranks you get 250w or more for free right? They're motorbikes. If your ego feels better when you call it an ebike go right ahead.

So according to your definition the server motor in AXS and DI2 et al would make those motorbikes too?

You have been a winky about ebikes for long enough for me to be anything but a fan of your viewpoint on them, we've had this exact discussion before. Kinda sucks because you're not a bad guy to have around here. Most of the vocal ebike opponents have accepted that they are both here and have a place. This shouldn't really be relevant in this thread, but i guess this funride is ground zero for mass participation events with ebikes. for the record here is the CTCC definition, and not suprisingly doesn't cover what you posted.

image.png.beda67cc631b18f4b9ec1ab2566a4a9c.png

ps. I don't own an ebike, I'm just an advocate for them. 

28 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Incorrect actually, by definition at most it = a moped. 

9 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

So according to your definition the server motor in AXS and DI2 et al would make those motorbikes too?

You have been a winky about ebikes for long enough for me to be anything but a fan of your viewpoint on them, we've had this exact discussion before. Kinda sucks because you're not a bad guy to have around here. Most of the vocal ebike opponents have accepted that they are both here and have a place. This shouldn't really be relevant in this thread, but i guess this funride is ground zero for mass participation events with ebikes. for the record here is the CTCC definition, and not suprisingly doesn't cover what you posted.

Oh sweet jesus x2. 

I posted those exact rules in the "should ebikes be allowed yadda yadda page" along with a comment that said something along the lines of this:

On 2/22/2022 at 12:48 PM, DuncanDoughnuts said:

Its only a race if you racing ... 

if you having fun and don't give a **** about time, then what ? you should not be allowed to enter cause you not a strava chaser ?

After Danger Dassie's post and some thought I reckon ebikers at races is cool as long as they have their own category and don't use race chips/get a time/result.

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Eeeee no SteveO….

because a car has an electronic gearbox does not make it a hybrid similarly have electronic actuated gears does make it an e-bike. 
having an electric drive motor does make it an e-bike though.

As you were <blows whistle to resume wrestling match>

Edited by DieselnDust

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Eeeee no SteveO….

becssue a car has an electronic gearbox does not make it a hybrid similarly have electronic actuated gears does make it an ebike. 
having an electric drive motor does make it an ebike though.

As you were <blows whistle to resume wrestling match>

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

**** me. It's like the bad old days around here again.

9 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

PS says hi.

GC9bxt5RtRgBbjGMhegw45-768-80.jpg

For the record, he only wore white shorts for one race, the Abu Dhabi Tour in 2015, his first race in the rainbow stripes. Little to zero chance of rain in the desert.

From 2016 he wore black shorts, starting at Tour de San Luis, followed by Omloop Het Nieuwsblad.

6 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

I think I was club 21 before my first sub3. 

6 hours ago, ouzo said:

yes but you've been doing the tour since you were 3 :) 

Some say he did his 21st Argus on his 21st birthday
And that he does all the pedalling on the tandem
And his Dad is only there for encouragement from the stoker's seat
All we know is that his name is LWB