Tried and tested ways to burn fat

arandre

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This counting calories thing is a problem. And I've only been doing it for 2 days.

Our cupboards are bare as we have been putting off shopping over december and are only going this afternoon to stock up, so last night for dinner we decided to order burgers. The entire time I'm thinking "how many calories are in this burger" . 

I much prefer the ignorance is bliss aproach. granted it doesnt normally work, but I feel less guilty when eating. :)

14 hours ago, jcza said:

Here we go again. Go Keto, you’ll be light and you’ll go far but you won’t go fast. Eldron covered it already. 

7C67EF2B-84EA-43BC-81D3-CE860CDF7ECF.jpeg

Ding ding - we have a winner!

The one thing that all diets (whether healthy or not) have in common is a focus on what you're eating. Almost any focus will produce results.

A balanced, varied diet with the correct proportions of fat, proteins and carbs will provide you with the correct nutrition and healthiest outcome. Diets that exclude food groups will not provide you with the wide variety of nutrition your body requires to function optimally.

On 1/7/2022 at 9:50 PM, BaGearA said:

anecdotally lots of people seem to get success with weight loss from the carnivore diet

I know.
And there are concerns about health and vitality. 🥩

On 1/6/2022 at 2:08 PM, Job said:

Intimittent fasting did the trick for me. I lost weight with drinking coffee at 8am, breakfast 10am then lunch was usually a yogurt with mixed trails then supper before 6pm. Did all my workouts in the evening after supper when I was full. Then covid came when I was flying high, started working from home and my fridge became my best friend, then the weight returned with a lot more of its friends/kgs. This year I want to start again.

I have been working from home since March 2020. Maybe I am very busy all day or my fridge does not contain any snacking type food but I have escaped being best friends with my fridge

my house does not have any snacks , sweets , chocolates, biscuits or chips . If we feel like a treat we have to go to nearest shop

also have no alcohol or sugar in the cupboards

and my colleagues say I am lucky that I am lean and don’t put on weight🤔

On 1/9/2022 at 11:09 AM, I FLY said:

I have been working from home since March 2020. Maybe I am very busy all day or my fridge does not contain any snacking type food but I have escaped being best friends with my fridge

my house does not have any snacks , sweets , chocolates, biscuits or chips . If we feel like a treat we have to go to nearest shop

I would be able to do all that except the alcohol part.

So are there any dieticians on this thread 😁

From my experience - as little processed sugar as possible, caloric deficit, balance of carbs, protein and fats. Oh, and cutting back on the booze, because that stuff is chock full of sugar. 

On 1/7/2022 at 2:45 PM, Eldron said:

That isn't how the body works. You can only use fat as an energy source at low intensity - as you raise the intensity the body uses more and more carbs.

You can shift the carb curve a little to the right but the overall shape of the graph stays the same.

Glucose. You consume carbs that break down to give you glucose amongst other vitamins and mienrals. 

On 1/6/2022 at 11:23 AM, Jewbacca said:

The answer is caloric deficit.

You are better off getting (and using) a calorie counter app, cut out sugar and importantly, avoid liquid calories.

So many people track what they eat and not what they drink. The sugar/calorie count in most drinks is massive.

The keto state/fasting exercising is all the rage but wont do anything noticeable if you don't maintain a caloric defecit or binge eat/drink.

A sustainable lifestyle and eating/drinking habits are better than anything that promises 'fat burning'. 

add to this- Most have a small caloric surplus for many many months and over the space many years pack on weight. To reverse that in the space of months takes a massive caloric deficit which is not sustainable no matter which fad diet/fasting plan you are on.

If you took 10 years to get fat. Assign 8 years to lose it and know it is going to be a long tough 8 years with a lot of hard decisions. Don't expect it in 8 weeks or even months...

8 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Glucose. You consume carbs that break down to give you glucose amongst other vitamins and mienrals. 

Glucose is a carbohydrate.

6 minutes ago, dave303e said:

add to this- Most have a small caloric surplus for many many months and over the space many years pack on weight. To reverse that in the space of months takes a massive caloric deficit which is not sustainable no matter which fad diet/fasting plan you are on.

If you took 10 years to get fat. Assign 8 years to lose it and know it is going to be a long tough 8 years with a lot of hard decisions. Don't expect it in 8 weeks or even months...

How long it took you to put on is irrelevant - a safe weight loss rate is 500g-1,000g per week. That's what you should be aiming for.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/losing_weight/index.html

On 1/9/2022 at 11:09 AM, I FLY said:

That one really annoys me. It's funny how often I've heard the whole "You're just lucky" thing from people.... at a braai, while they hold a beer and reach for the chip bowl. Maybe I am just lucky, for not living in denial and blaming my genetics.

7 minutes ago, NickGM said:

That one really annoys me. It's funny how often I've heard the whole "You're just lucky" thing from people.... at a braai, while they hold a beer and reach for the chip bowl. Maybe I am just lucky, for not living in denial and blaming my genetics.

Everybody is lucky and lean...when they do 10 hours a week of cardio and watch their diet.

On a sillier note - I love how people can walk around calling us thin/lean/skinny but if we reverse the conversation it's fat shaming....