Egan Bernal taken to hospital after training accident in Colombia

OVERDRIVE

1 hour ago, Trashy said:

2 years ago I had to conduct a funeral for a cyclist who was killed riding on a flat, straight road.

There were no cars up ahead so he was head down and going for it.

A lorry passed him and then a little way down the road they pulled over to answer a phone call. They stopped in the yellow line where he was riding and he didn't see them until it was too late.

I'm glad Bernal survived this and hope he is able to recover well enough to enjoy a full life. Returning to riding at any level would be an added gift.

I think about a month ago a similar fatal-incident happened near melkbos.

Glad Bernal survived, when you see the state of that bus it could have been a lot worse. Hope he recovers to at least live a normal life. Going back to his best level would be a bonus, but when you see how a guy like froome was affected by similar injuries, I think it would be a miracle...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible, Pro teams are strange,  his team mates sitting on their bikes, it looks like they waiting for him to get up (I suppose they used to seeing mates fall) surely that severe impact ride cancelled 

39 minutes ago, DIPSLICK said:

Terrible, Pro teams are strange,  his team mates sitting on their bikes, it looks like they waiting for him to get up (I suppose they used to seeing mates fall) surely that severe impact ride cancelled 

I guess you also learn NOT to move someone after a severe accident unless you know how to. 

Check they are breathing, have a pulse but do not move. In this case I'm really glad they didn't move him and waited for the right people. With a femur and spinal fractures, laying him out in any position, rolling him over etc could result in far more severe injuries.

Arterial ruptures, spinal chord damage etc 

Edited by Jewbacca

7 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I guess you also learn NOT to move someone after a severe accident unless you know how to. 

Check they are breathing, have a pulse but do not move. In this case I'm really glad they didn't move him and waited for the right people. With a femur and spinal fractures, laying him out in any position, rolling him over etc could result in far more severe injuries.

Arterial ruptures, spinal chord damage etc 

100%  I am not saying they should be helping medically 

hey different strokes I suppose, 

1 hour ago, DIPSLICK said:

might be like race car drivers, you have to believe you are invincible in order to do those speeds, you see a team mate have a crash and you have to believe they are perfectly fine and will be up in no time.

Also you get used to seeing people crash and get up. Much like when Senna hit the wall, I was so used to watching massive crashes happen during F1 that I laughed at "how silly a mistake he made", only after he didnt get out the car for a few minutes did the severity strike home.

8 hours ago, Trashy said:

2 years ago I had to conduct a funeral for a cyclist who was killed riding on a flat, straight road.

There were no cars up ahead so he was head down and going for it.

A lorry passed him and then a little way down the road they pulled over to answer a phone call. They stopped in the yellow line where he was riding and he didn't see them until it was too late.

I'm glad Bernal survived this and hope he is able to recover well enough to enjoy a full life. Returning to riding at any level would be an added gift.

Lord have mercy. 

Am lost for words. 

I sent the prognosis to a close doctor mate of mine to give me an idea of the severity of the injuries and his responses left me cold. Am with you totally; good health is all that matters.

Edited by OVERDRIVE

12 hours ago, 'Dale said:

The elegant Egan. Phenomenal athlete. It will be a miraculous return should he choose to return to the WorldTour stage. If he was my son, I would just want him to return to good health. 💟

Well put! Those are horrific injuries with life long consequences. We certainly love a very dangerous sport.

was thinking about this this morning on my ride.

Perhaps its time for some added safety to be introduced. I was thinking maybe a forward facing camera for TT bikes, so you can keep your head down but still see what infront of you ?