Absa Cape Epic 2022

JohanDiv

Well they had the Queen stage on the first day, maybe to trim the field down from the get-go? Weed out the woosies?

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, kosmonooit said:

Well they had the Queen stage on the first day, maybe to trim the field down from the get-go? Weed out the woosies?

What was THAT little 92km the queen stage???

Things are difficult!

2000s: “Work harder!”

2020s: “Change the standards!”

4 minutes ago, kosmonooit said:

Not cool for the average Joe that broke the bank for this race and has to withdraw after stage 1, but hey... organisers don't decide the weather

Edited by Jbr

3 minutes ago, kosmonooit said:

Another problem with this approach is that the tribal tatted Randpark Firethorn members will start with “Listen charna, I paid 150kaaay for 8 days of social media posts!”

12 hours ago, kosmonooit said:

I think Gerald is good, he certainly is informed and passionate about cycling, an avid mtb'er, and a consummate sports broadcasting professional, one needs an lead / anchor like that.

Rob on the other hand ... think I will tune into the German channel this year.

ended up riding 1 joberg2c with Gerald, he was a solo entry but he rode a few days with us, what a legend and gentleman, loves his riding, obviously we knew who he was at no stage did he mention his involvement in the sport, it was all just chatting about the route and his love of cycling and the spirit he gave us hours of entertainment

2 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Not cool for the average Joe that broke the bank for this race and has to withdraw after stage 1, but hey... organisers don't decide the weather

If a rider has not adequatey prepared for the event then they should not pitch upon the startline.

Yes it's hard, its sold and marketed as hard #theracethatmeasuresall.

A 92km 2850m stage is not a queen stage on paper so its going to be measured in the terrain. Solution:

Train harder

ride the prologue slower

and keep hydrated

its not like they routed the race a foot away from 100 bee hives or something.

Broke the bank and had to withdraw on Stage3 2016 due to bee sting induced illness and dehydration so i have the t-shirt. Solution, train smarter, harder and be better prepared overall

10 hours ago, JohanDiv said:

Interesting and tough day.. I filled up bottle and camelback at the waterpoint just before the big climb and still managed to run dry halfway up. That left me without fluids for almost an hour and a half to the next waterpoint. Was impossible to ride up that climb with everyone walking up(not that I think I would've been able to ride to the top anyways in this +45 degrees heat!), but that took way longer than expected. Started cramping, not heavy, could spin through most of the cramps, but cramped all the way to the finish no matter how many crampblocks and fluids I took onboard.

Partner took two tumbles and we spent quite a bit of tome at the medics to sort him out.

So all in all we suffered properly today!

Our moving time was less than 7hrs, but took us 8hrs30min to get over the line.

My partner went to the medi-clinic tent to check out his wounds. While we were there I just asked them if they have something to help with my cramps.. long story short, I'm currently lying in Mediclinic ER with possible kidney failure and I think their pulling me from the race.. waiting for a second bloodtest to make sure.

I'm so pissed at this moment that I asked them for something for the cramps! It wasn't that bad, I've had it way worse in the past and I wouldn't even consider asking if my partner wasn't at the tent at the moment! Definitely other people today that looked way worse than me! Legs actually feel good, it was just a bit of cramps! 

Even if I can ride, wasting time sitting around at hospital instead of preparing, recovery and sleeping now!

heal up, hope nothing serious or long term damage

I`m sorry im a weekend idiot who just like to ride my bike, most days slow, some days fast BUT I REALLY ENJOY cycling, This does not sound like fun to me, yes I have a mater with 8 finishes and he is as tough as an old leather belt, not for me, I am more of a in it for the fun factor and some health

I guess it's marketed as star centric but is financed by the average joe.

The guts of the event are the guys who spent 8 hours plus on yesterdays stage. 

It is fairly unique in it's nature in that it mixes the elite with the average joe, so the balancing act between entertainment, stretching the pro's and making it achievable for 100kg plus weekend warriors is difficult. 

They can't create 2 routes or split the field without hugely diluting the product, so I guess the issues are a product of the event's own marketing/success. 

and in all fairness, 9h45min is enough time to complete the course at an average speed of 10km/hr

There's not real grounds for complaint. If there was a significant amount of walking involved then maybe theres's a case for complaint but Stage 1 had a lot of manicured single-track  included and many of the climbs were rideable except that saddle climb where everybody but the pro's walked.and 

This route is the hardest since 2008 and its still not nearly as brutal and everyone is on a 29er so maybe there's too much hand cream inthe goodie bag? 

17 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

If a rider has not adequatey prepared for the event then they should not pitch upon the startline.

If you think that way, many of the big names shouldn't have entered WP Champs... because lots of them didn't finish

Event is doable for anyone that can commit to 10 - 12 hours per week. Easier with help of coach and packing ego away. Pace yourself, forget about the 36 ring and fit a 32 or even 30. Accept that luck plays a part, the terrain is unforgiving and stay calm. Make sure you know how to plug a tyre, fit a tube, add a quicklink etc. Stop at waterpoints, enjoy the view. Talk to fellow riders, you're in this together. Don't be a dick. Train with your partner and race with your partner. Wash your hands. Relax and rest whenever you can. Enjoy the experience! We all want to do this (again) 

PS: Will someone offer insurance against Covid? Riders getting pulled after prologue after spending a fortune. I'd be bleak 🤬

21 hours ago, Spafsack said:

Did Matt's stomach issues start before the hectic climb already, or dehydration issues?

The night before. Could not hold anything down from hour 2 and only liquids from hour 2.5. Threw the kit in the bin that he vomited all over during the stage. 

58 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Yes it's hard, its sold and marketed as hard #theracethatmeasuresall.

A 92km 2850m stage is not a queen stage on paper so its going to be measured in the terrain. Solution:

Train harder

ride the prologue slower

and keep hydrated

its not like they routed the race a foot away from 100 bee hives or something.

Broke the bank and had to withdraw on Stage3 2016 due to bee sting induced illness and dehydration so i have the t-shirt. Solution, train smarter, harder and be better prepared overall

..... not fun riding/walking up the Ou Wapad with more than a dozen bee-stings on your body🐝 😵.... luckily I'm not allergic and could carry on 

11 minutes ago, jcza said:

Event is doable for anyone that can commit to 10 - 12 hours per week. Easier with help of coach and packing ego away. Pace yourself, forget about the 36 ring and fit a 32 or even 30. Accept that luck plays a part, the terrain is unforgiving and stay calm. Make sure you know how to plug a tyre, fit a tube, add a quicklink etc. Stop at waterpoints, enjoy the view. Talk to fellow riders, you're in this together. Don't be a dick. Train with your partner and race with your partner. Wash your hands. Relax and rest whenever you can. Enjoy the experience! We all want to do this (again) 

PS: Will someone offer insurance against Covid? Riders getting pulled after prologue after spending a fortune. I'd be bleak 🤬

so, not a race for @ChUkKy?