Dave, I've got your bike (CTCT)

sluiper

Bit of a long shot, but don't really know how else to get hold of Dave. 

I was spectating this morning at the bottom of Edinburgh Drive when I saw a cyclist next to the side of the road. His rear derailleur had snapped in two and it didn't look like he was going to be able to continue.

I live quite close by and have a bunch of bikes, so offered to lend him one to finish the race. I told him to remember where my house was so that he could come and pick up his bike after the race. He told me he drove past almost every day so wouldn't have a problem remembering. It was pretty stupid of me not to give him my phone number, literally all I got was his name. 

He was in one of the last groups (this must have been around 9:30) and he told me he'd decided to do the race on a whim the day before, so I assumed it would be a while before he made his way back.

It's now more than 9 hours later, so I'm just a bit worried about him. I'm hoping someone here knows who he is and could let him know to contact me here.

He was quite young and was on a bike he said he'd borrowed from a friend (who I'm guessing might be on here). It's a lesser known Italian brand, 11 spd Super Record and he was using MTB cleats, so pretty obvious it wasn't his. 

Anyways, if anyone knows who this is, please drop me a message so I can reunite him and his friend's bike. 

3 minutes ago, Thomo said:

What a story.! 👏

No race number on the bike to try and find him that way.?

If all else fails, was it at least a fair trade.? 🤷‍♂️🙈

Nope, no race number. He took it off and put it on the bike I gave him. 

It's a very unfair trade. I gave him my son's Zwift bike, a Raleigh 3000 that I can't even remember buying with an ancient 9spd Campy groupset on.

One of the shifters on the bike he left here is worth more than the bike I gave him. 

42 minutes ago, sluiper said:

Nope, no race number. He took it off and put it on the bike I gave him. 

It's a very unfair trade. I gave him my son's Zwift bike, a Raleigh 3000 that I can't even remember buying with an ancient 9spd Campy groupset on.

One of the shifters on the bike he left here is worth more than the bike I gave him. 

What size did you say it was?

2 hours ago, sluiper said:

Bit of a long shot, but don't really know how else to get hold of Dave. 

I was spectating this morning at the bottom of Edinburgh Drive when I saw a cyclist next to the side of the road. His rear derailleur had snapped in two and it didn't look like he was going to be able to continue.

I live quite close by and have a bunch of bikes, so offered to lend him one to finish the race. I told him to remember where my house was so that he could come and pick up his bike after the race. He told me he drove past almost every day so wouldn't have a problem remembering. It was pretty stupid of me not to give him my phone number, literally all I got was his name. 

He was in one of the last groups (this must have been around 9:30) and he told me he'd decided to do the race on a whim the day before, so I assumed it would be a while before he made his way back.

It's now more than 9 hours later, so I'm just a bit worried about him. I'm hoping someone here knows who he is and could let him know to contact me here.

He was quite young and was on a bike he said he'd borrowed from a friend (who I'm guessing might be on here). It's a lesser known Italian brand, 11 spd Super Record and he was using MTB cleats, so pretty obvious it wasn't his. 

Anyways, if anyone knows who this is, please drop me a message so I can reunite him and his friend's bike. 

You're a legend for this kinda move and generosity. 

That's some great sportsmanship👌

9 hours ago, sluiper said:

gave me a nice bottle of red and some Lindt chocolates

This! that young man will go far.

12 hours ago, sluiper said:

so offered to lend him one to finish the race

Preceded by this, you Sir, are a gentleman.

My Monday morning has indeed begun well.

Another thumbs up for you, Sluiper.

On another note, I wondered how many spectators would come out in the very wet conditions, and your stretch, Edinburg Drive, was as full and vibey as on a good weather day. It is appreciated!

11 hours ago, sluiper said:

Dave just picked up the bike. Really nice young guy, gave me a nice bottle of red and some Lindt chocolates. Probably a bit much for the bike I gave him but glad he could finish his first CTCT and have a story to tell. 

He managed a time of just over 5 hours. Says he'll be back next year. 

Kudos to you for doing this!  Unfortunately we live in a world that it is very hard to trust anyone and you took a leap of faith, well done. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, THE Dave here 

Thanks @sluiperfor the sportsmanship and kindness! 

The borrowed bike got me accross the line 😁 and was returned after I recovered later in the evening

What a beautiful ride it was! My first time riding a road bike and first time cycling further than 15km

I thought the carbon fibre would help make up for my lack of any training but in the end it was all thanks to @sluiper and his pit crew as well as some digging deep on the hills.

Waiting to hear the cost I incurred with the derailleur 😅