Cheap & Quality Running Shoes

JM Rides Bikes

On 6/23/2022 at 2:49 PM, TheoG said:

Stats from Comrades 2019:

The most popular shoe chosen by runners in 2019 is Asics (9056), followed by Nike (4953), New Balance (3020) and adidas (2866).

Where did you get this data? Fascinating.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Those 5k Nike's with the carbon sole are used almost exclusively by moms pushing trolley's in the local woolies from what I see

hahahahaha

It's a bit like most of us riding on our over specced carbon race weapons!

15 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Those 5k Nike's with the carbon sole are used almost exclusively by moms pushing trolley's in the local woolies from what I see

hahaha I also thought so until my mate who is a runner pointed out to me that the "training shoe", which looks very similar and still costs over 3k isn't the same as the "racing" shoe which has the carbon plate in the sole. Told him the price is absolutely ridiculous, he then pointed to my bike and shrugged his shoulders. My only comeback was that my bike lasts more than 800kms unlike his shoes.

On 6/23/2022 at 2:49 PM, TheoG said:

Stats from Comrades 2019:

The most popular shoe chosen by runners in 2019 is Asics (9056), followed by Nike (4953), New Balance (3020) and adidas (2866).

Cheap and Quality..... every time i see this topic i hear someone saying if you want cheap don't expect quality

Anyway, I wonder where Hoka shoes feature on the list of shoes?

"The most popular shoe chosen by runners in 2019 is Asics (9056), followed by Nike (4953), New Balance (3020) and adidas (2866)"

Just now, SwissVan said:

Cheap and Quality..... every time i see this topic i hear someone saying if you want cheap don't expect quality

"The most popular shoe chosen by runners in 2019 is Asics (9056), followed by Nike (4953), New Balance (3020) and adidas (2866)"

Hoka is for sure earning some market share slowly but surely.  I'm also busy trying a pair of Arahi 6, so far so good.  Would like to see this years stats on shoes for Comrades.

9 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Hoka has the the tri market covered. 

The Comrades runners, set in stone regarding their shoe brand loyalty.

At least now, Hoka is available in SA, back in the day had to import.

Greg minaar rides A santa Cruz and not A Trek. Loic rides A spez and not A pivot.

Sponsored athletes use what they're sponsored by not what they personally think is best.

So the MRP athletes using the cheap MRP shoe in whatever race holds no weight.

4 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Greg minaar rides A santa Cruz and not A Trek. Loic rides A spez and not A pivot.

Sponsored athletes use what they're sponsored by not what they personally think is best.

So the MRP athletes using the cheap MRP shoe in whatever race holds no weight.

True, but the thing is, with a neutral shoe, on road, you don't really need much tech. I swap between three shoes ranging from mid spec to rather fancy, and my fastest runs have all been with the cheapies. When it comes to trail running in pretty reliant on traction, so I don't mind spending on Salomon for that. But for road running, my next pair will be MRP or whatever I can find on the markdown table. 

22 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

True, but the thing is, with a neutral shoe, on road, you don't really need much tech. I swap between three shoes ranging from mid spec to rather fancy, and my fastest runs have all been with the cheapies. When it comes to trail running in pretty reliant on traction, so I don't mind spending on Salomon for that. But for road running, my next pair will be MRP or whatever I can find on the markdown table. 

Unfortunately I pronate hence need to use stability shoes, not many too chose from ...

Am I missing something here?
Shoes are the only contact point between you and the road/trail/treadmill.
Why would someone want to skimp on quality?

Not saying the cheap shoes aren't quality, and that brand names aren't. One would think that to prevent injury, shoes and technique are two of the most important factors to limit getting injured.

I certainly wouldn't buy a cheap saddle, bib shorts, gloves and shoes when those are the major contact points on a bike.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Am I missing something here?
Shoes are the only contact point between you and the road/trail/treadmill.
Why would someone want to skimp on quality?

Not saying the cheap shoes aren't quality, and that brand names aren't. One would think that to prevent injury, shoes and technique are two of the most important factors to limit getting injured.

I certainly wouldn't buy a cheap saddle, bib shorts, gloves and shoes when those are the major contact points on a bike.

My take on this is a bit different.

I'm currently doing a bit of an experiment with shoes. While I am no pro, I cover a fair amount of KM and do some big runs by anyone's standard.

I was a bit bummed with the price of shoes. Brand's top models are about R1000 more per pair than they were 2 years ago. I know, COVID, stock shortage etc.... SO.....

I looked at some stats. 

Last sub3 marathon 2017

Fastest trail 100 miler 2008

Fastest marathon 2008

Fastest half 2004

Fastest 100km 2011

SO.... With all my fastest times a decade in the past, do I need this years shoes at this years prices?

Simply put, no. I was faster on much older shoes. 

So with that in mind, I have been buying last years model or previous previous model shoes at massively discounted prices.

I knocked out a 327km non stop trail run last year on shoes released in 2019. 

So my point is that while one can look at it as skimping, or one can look at it and buy smart, as the reality is that for most of us, our performance bottle neck is not last years shoes

20 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

These R12k Garmins as well.

cf-lg-00da6fe7-1ac1-4b51-9013-be9c61672cc7.jpeg

4 minutes ago, M L said:

These R12k Garmins as well.

cf-lg-00da6fe7-1ac1-4b51-9013-be9c61672cc7.jpeg

Haha. Yes indeed. Shopping at woolies is hard work you know. Got to measure them calories and count steps.

On 6/23/2022 at 9:28 AM, JeanneMichael du Plessis said:

Hi Hubbers,

Previously I had a pair of the cheapest MRP Sport running shoes but they are no longer cutting it and are about 2 years old.

Example: https://www.mrpsport.com/en_za/begin-running-shoes-7252010382

I'm looking for a pair of cost effective running shoes MAX R1000, however I'm looking for advice on the best QUALITY at that price.

I don't want to buy a pair of name brand shoes that suck

TIA

Total Sports bargain isle should do the trick.

ID what you like, googgle the reviews and pull the trigger