OVERDRIVE

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I

A lot of people think that having XX1 or grip2 will make them a better rider or increase their enjoyment. Sorry to break it to you but it doesn't. 

Also don't even get me started on fox's Kashima coat...

I have a couple of friends with kashima and xx1 on their really nice bikes. SkouPonie fietse. 👌

Today I was on my singlespeed. Worth less than the cassette on the one bike. Fortunately we all have a great time when riding together no matter what bikes we ride.

16 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

A few years ago I tested a alloy giant Anthem 3. It had SLX parts. A few weeks later I tried the advanced version which had an alloy rear triangle and carbon front end and had XT components. Both had fox  performance level suspension. I couldn’t tell the difference and the alloy bike was only half a kilo heavier mostly die to the wheels and a bit in the frame. There was R25k differing price. I remember stating in a review that id take the alloy bike and upgrade it as parts wore out. I’d still spend less than the advanced version whichever way the diced landed . I then asked the distributor about a more highly specced alloy bike and they said “nope can’t do that.” The alloy frame isn’t available on its own either. Many people could use a well made alloy frame and better parts spec. Carbon frames don’t add value, just cost. But like good little golfers we’re all looking for that extra 0.01% and bike manufacturers like drug dealers are only too happy to comply

Get this man a bells.

15 hours ago, Hairy said:

Might I suggest a nice steel HT for you sir.

Yes! One day when I grow up I want my SS to be made of steel. 

15 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Brand power, baby yeahhh

6F632376-06EC-4129-810E-F81F32B88315.jpeg

Measured in watts or perceived watts?

On 8/12/2022 at 11:50 AM, MORNE said:

and while we are still at it and they havent really popped up yet... WW gets all the bad rep for being too expensive,  but when last have you shopped at a SPAR?? I always feel ripped off when I shop at SPAR, maybe it's their franchise model. Prices between stores are all over the place. You'll find a SPAR in a affluent area is more expensive than a spar in one less so....except for the crappy spar in observatory, CT. Hell that has to be one of the most expensive SPAR's in CT imo....and considering their shopping demographic are mostly dirty obz type artists and students......i dont get why. 

Spar is a franchise model with corporates in the mix. This generally means owners can determine their own prices. I can only assume the franchise fees are high meaning the stores have to push prices to make margins in order to afford the fees and still make profit. It could also be that Spar buyers are not negotiating deals deep enough with suppliers to load promos that would draw customers in from opposition stores.

On 8/12/2022 at 11:39 AM, PhilipV said:

WRT Checkers. Freshmark, their fresh supplier , has been pushing hard to provide better products in store, and it can be seen in store. 

Yep, I've done a walk through the Basson DC in Brackenfell and that is ons slick operation. The Freshmark side was very impressive as well. Fresh produce is received and shipped almost immediately. They hold minimal stock over longer than 24 hours and the reason for that is logistics planning. The outlying stores get deliveries on specific days only.

On 8/12/2022 at 9:00 PM, justinafrika said:

100%

image.jpeg.832e7e010ff37730549afe0c3eb22ea2.jpeg

To each his own,but the pre discount price is what I paid for my mtb couple of years ago and still riding it and giving me endless joy.

On 8/12/2022 at 8:00 PM, MTBRIDER1234 said:

...... Also, when it is handmade, it looks far better than mass-produced carbon (excluding my carbon rear seatstays lol).

You will be surprised to know that Carbon frames take longer and more people to build than Alu, they are by far more "Hand-Built" than most Alu frames on the market. Most Alu frames are machine extrusions that are CNC cut and CNC welded. 

I posted on another thread about the sales that are now on at CRC et al. I bought two Spank rims at R1k each less than the advertised price here (if they were available which they're not), plus some Nukeproof rim defender inserts for about R800 for two wheels at a lesser discount but still much cheaper than anything equivalent here. Bars were about R1k less than the price here and nothing available anyway. These prices were at an exchange rate of R20 or so to the pound. Crazy.

On 8/13/2022 at 7:33 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

Spar is a franchise model with corporates in the mix. This generally means owners can determine their own prices. I can only assume the franchise fees are high meaning the stores have to push prices to make margins in order to afford the fees and still make profit. It could also be that Spar buyers are not negotiating deals deep enough with suppliers to load promos that would draw customers in from opposition stores.

Our closest shop is a Spar, I go there (often by bike) for small stuff. If the Mica next door wasn't brilliant i would be there even less. The owners are often there and just look bored out of their minds.

My folks have a holiday house in a weskus dorpie that for years had only a small basics shop next to the filling station - you did your shopping at home and unpacked into the fridge when you arrived. About 15 years ago a spar was built and it was probably about a 20 fold increase in what was available before. We thought it would never survive the quiet times away from weekends/peak dezemba. It did really well, listened to the locals and now we go there and shop from them with a smile. Did so well they ran out of space, built across the road and opened during covid times. Youngish couple run it, such a brilliant offering and selection that they won national store of the year 2021.

Spar is hit and miss, because it is owner run. I think the ones that do crap should go travel more and raise their game.

On 8/11/2022 at 12:08 PM, throttles said:

I die a little everytime I see a woolies bag in my kitchen.. 🥹

image.jpg

I'm with you, brutha! Certain people will defend their Woollies like their iphone and their Sworks can hear you being rude behind their backs.

anecdotally it is way more extreme than what these studies show:

https://businesstech.co.za/news/lifestyle/581196/shopping-price-war-2022-woolworths-vs-checkers-vs-pick-n-pay-vs-spar-vs-food-lovers/

48 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Our closest shop is a Spar, I go there (often by bike) for small stuff.

49 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Spar is hit and miss, because it is owner run. I think the ones that do crap should go travel more and raise their game.

I’m happy to pay a bit more at my local well-run Spar compared to other supermarkets nearby as management and staff welcomed me to lock my bike inside the store in a safe, quiet corner next to the entrance and security guards.  Consequently I do our (just the youngest daughter and myself left) grocery shopping by bike and almost exclusively at that Spar.  The local wine store and pharmacy are equally accommodating for cyclists.

well, since this thread isn't about bikes and more about Woolworths than anything, how about we talk about Woolies and plagiarism? Granted, there haven't been accusations of that for sometime now... well, since we all got locked away for a spell and no one did much at least

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

Our closest shop is a Spar, I go there (often by bike) for small stuff. If the Mica next door wasn't brilliant i would be there even less. The owners are often there and just look bored out of their minds.

The problem with franchise / owner run stores is that people seem to think owning a supermarket is a simple matter. It's not. Not even close to being easy. I have seen so many owners who have been perceived as being successful open a supermarket, and within a few short years they've lost everything. Store, house, car - the lot.

Retail is a dog eat dog world. Prices are cut to the bone, promotions are often times below cost, and when the head office publishes the flyers for promotions on tv, then the stores must stock up on the goods. I knew a chap who called those lines wooden dollars. They give you the perception of making money, but your bank account disagrees with your sentiment.

Suppliers want to be paid in shorter and shorter time frames, and in a short span of time you are simply turning sales to keep paying the vendors who are constantly delivering replacement stock at increased markups. On average the price increases this year to date hover around 27% on Next Replacement Cost for one specific chain. Suppliers are loath to negotiate deals on promotion lines and rather want to increase the listed prices, in some cases for the 4th or 5th time so far this year. To put it in perspective, suppliers typically have at most 2 annual price increases. Most of the time its annual. 

Back to the bored owners. From my experience, it seems that owner knows his fate and is resigned to the inevitable. The problem with franchise groups is that head office often pumps cash into the store to get it going, then the owner mismanages it into the ground before a team of lawyers pull in to confiscate your entire life, and hold you responsible for the outstanding balance.

Like I said, dog eat dog.

If you have a local that treats you well and holds good stock, support them. They need you as much as you need them.

1 minute ago, lechatnoir said:

well, since this thread isn't about bikes and more about Woolworths than anything, how about we talk about Woolies and plagiarism? Granted, there haven't been accusations of that for sometime now... well, since we all got locked away for a spell and no one did much at least

Can't speak to that, but I saw a clip posted last night of a chap going around to petrol stations with a measured 20lt can to buy diesel. He asks for 20lt, the pump jockey enters 20lt on the pump, then the can receives what amounts to about 17lt.

Then as I thought this can't be true, a neighbour on the street chat group posts that this precise thing happened to him at the local Total by me, and when he complained, they took the fuel back and refused for him to pay. . . telling him to go elsewhere ! ! ! 

WHAT!?!

We're being scammed at the pumps and it seems the fuel retailers know this . . .

4 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Can't speak to that, but I saw a clip posted last night of a chap going around to petrol stations with a measured 20lt can to buy diesel. He asks for 20lt, the pump jockey enters 20lt on the pump, then the can receives what amounts to about 17lt.

Then as I thought this can't be true, a neighbour on the street chat group posts that this precise thing happened to him at the local Total by me, and when he complained, they took the fuel back and refused for him to pay. . . telling him to go elsewhere ! ! ! 

WHAT!?!

We're being scammed at the pumps and it seems the fuel retailers know this . . .

i find this very hard to believe, and oh so easy to measure.

petrol is very regulated, no way those machines can jippo it so easy

4 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

WHAT!?!

Man!! I came here to hijack a thread and you hijack my hijacking. not even the decency to wait until Friday! Onbeskof I tell you. 😆 where's the comic sans when you need it? 

20 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

WHAT!?!

I've got an ex school mate that has a filling station. He recons had he not opened it many years ago it would not be viable to keep it open today, margins have become so small that he just about covers overheads these days.

There is a filling station we use for work, consistently runs out of fuel the day before a price hike. My guess is that he holds back a certain amount and sells it at the new price the next day. Every business has their little tricks to try and maximise the little profit they make these days.

Over reading pumps as far as I know would be alot harder to do as from what I understand they are closely audited.

On 8/12/2022 at 8:21 PM, 'Dale said:

Brand power, baby yeahhh

6F632376-06EC-4129-810E-F81F32B88315.jpeg

LOL - Hello, my name is Johan, and #iamspecialized. Not only do I have the top of the range very expensive Epic Sworks, I also have a very expensive Specialized Road Bike, a Specialized top of the range Hard Tail and a super smart Specialized Single Speed, and yes a couple of other cheapies as well...  I am so sorry - I will try to be a better person... 😂