[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

9 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Everyone saying the wind was "non existent" either only started after 8:30am because then by the time they hit Lakeside it had dropped completely all the way through to Smits, or they never sat on the front. I learned very quickly just how tough it was on the front with the wind..

I agree. I didn’t actually feel much tailwind tbh. There was a stretch after Smit’s through Misty Cliffs where there was tail wind but I was pretty spent already so didnt use it to my advantage. Didn’t help also that there wasn’t a proper bunch pulling you along. 

I tried my best to keep with the front of my bunch to wynberg hill but we caught so many slower riders before that it was so difficult to keep track of who’s who. Either way i dropped off before the top, then ended up doing lotsa work on the M3. A bit gutted tbh, that I couldn’t keep with the fastest in my bunch but at least i know where i need to better going forward. The start is critical and you have to be with the front group at wynberg hill otherwise it’s just a mess. Also need to do more races to get better seeding. I only did the 99er and i felt I wasn’t race sharp/

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Long Wheel Base said:

I wonder if the increase of accidents comes down to the fact that a lot of us are racing less than we used to and also a lot of new blood to the sport that, while they are strong riders, have very little bunch riding experience. 

A lot of the time, the guys are also just not concentrating, it's like they texting while riding.

saw phone use yesterday...and earphones...

I see Richard Murray won &.

Am I correct in assuming it's the same ex SA now Dutch Triathlete Richard Murray?

I mean he was at the expo and is now a Ciovita brand ambassador so too much of a coincidence to not be him?

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

Racetec never used to be this pathetic, and I'm confused as to why they are regressing in their service since they still use the exact same technology they were using when I started racing 21 years ago...

Maybe the new post covid "rolling" start procedure caught them out. The IT program for identifying the groups might have not work so well.

2 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Am I correct in assuming it's the same ex SA now Dutch Triathlete Richard Murray?

I mean he was at the expo and is now a Ciovita brand ambassador so too much of a coincidence to not be him?

Same guy. But I didn't know he is now dutch. 

32 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Looks like the rider hit a cateye, front wheel burst and that was that.... 

If you play the video very slowly the first guy to go down in the video is not on the left of the video. Unfortunately cant see what caused it but seems like he sideswiped so probably frontwheel got clipped or rider next to him started the chain, out of video shot.

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 12.25.17.png

Edited by GenoW

35 minutes ago, splat said:

I don't think that there is a way of checking the amount of accidents or incidents, but I would say that its the same every year.
The Argust thread has been full of those comments since the beginning of the Interwebs.

The front groups are full of 'idiot racing snakes' while rest of the groups are full of 'inexperienced newbies with no group skills'.

A crash in 1 or more groups coming down hospital hill is common practice, if not some kind of tradition. 

I’m in the black outfit with white helmet behind the chap in the yellow Scott kit.

i get ptsd watching this video, the sound from those falls were hectic. 

4 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

If he is on Strava, just look if he went running afterwards. 🙃

1 minute ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Yes, He and 3 others (one super strong guy from INEOS) broke away on hospital hill. We never saw them again. The bunch only caught one on top of Suikerbossie.

3 minutes ago, GenoW said:

If you play the video very slowly the first guy to go down in the video is not on the left of the video. Unfortunately cant see what caused it but seems like he sideswiped so probably frontwheel got clipped or rider next to him started the chain, out of video shot.

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 12.25.17.png

Possibly then the fact that the road on that side started to become too narrow with the road cones set out for the amount of riders all starting their descents. Too many guys trying to squeeze in not realising the cones are there..

51 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Looks like the rider hit a cateye, front wheel burst and that was that.... 

Looks like a tyre burst. 2 years ago they had the covers over the cat eyes on hospital bend, actually wondered where they were while riding yesterday. 

Edited by NeverNotRolling

2 minutes ago, Mayo916 said:

Yes, He and 3 others (one super strong guy from INEOS) broke away on hospital hill. We never saw them again. The bunch only caught one on top of Suikerbossie.

Yeah my buddy was in the & group, came 7th, He said that he never knew they were gone until someone mentioned it after Smits only or else he would've gone with, He started too far back clearly LOL.