[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Agreed, but me thinks they’ve given up on printing numbers at the expo and are only set up to transfer numbers. 
In 2023 this shouldn’t be a problem any longer. Maybe it’s just trying to create FOMO …?

I phoned them and they said its possible to be done at the expo..

2 hours ago, Pure Savage said:

Can confirm 2nd lap was social. This year will be the short route for me though

CTCT.JPG.1384e5653b9ff4aa5135819eb579db7e.JPG

You the dude in the Charlie Chaplain hat in the shade or the oke chilling next to Francois Pienaar? 🤣

On 3/3/2023 at 4:15 PM, Scary Rider said:

Joh, that is young! My aunt started at 47, after her weird brother said she'd never survive one edition, yet, here were are going for her 22th at 70 next weekend. 

Tannie Ansie is 'n yster!

My first 4 were on the back of a tandem. 5th one was solo.

I want to be like your Aunt, still able to race it at 70!!!! Wat n yster!!!

28 minutes ago, mrdaynes said:

Here is a Cape Town Cycle Tour Split Time Calculator I found worth sharing.
Well worth noting the times and markers
especially for those wishing to go sub 3hr - more fire to 1A 🔥

To edit this gsheet - go to > File > Make a Copy ...

Split-time Calculator - Cape Argus Cycle Tour 2022.xlsx 294.12 kB · 4 downloads

Apologies for being dismissive but the time split calculator is fairly useless for anything other than missing the cut-offs. Wind strength & direction on the day and the relatively big climbs in the 2nd half are huge factors, you are not going to cover the route at a uniform speed.

Usually only around Suikerbossie you will know if you are on target for your sub-whatever...

Edited by Skubarra

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

21*
sunny
~ no wind (relatively)

Thank me Monday.😅

Epic ride weather says 28km/h winds. That’s pretty breezy but not unbearable.

Received this in a mail a few min ago. I know it gets discussed every year.

1A group (06h30) - 1H group (06h51)

All groups up to 1H will be treated as having a bunch start time (ie when the gun goes, not when you cross the timing mat). All other age group prizes not mentioned above will be awarded to the fastest person irrespective of starting group.

13 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Apologies for being dismissive but the time split calculator is fairly useless for anything other than missing the cut-offs. Wind strength & direction on the day and the relatively big climbs in the 2nd half are huge factors, you are not going to cover the route at a uniform speed.

Usually only around Suikerbossie you will know if you are on target for your sub-whatever...

obviously there's no perfect tool, but if you look a little bit closely there is a second tab that takes into affect the terrain over each section.

it is not just a bog standard average speed across the course, and there could well be a lot of historical data gone into this.

13 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Lekka to see the manne in management and political office is welcoming all fellow sufferers. 

Image-14.png

this is flippen excellent news.

this laaitie has a bigger boep than Winde, it will do him the world of good healthwise.

AND having a cycling mayor can only be good for local cyclists

30 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

obviously there's no perfect tool, but if you look a little bit closely there is a second tab that takes into affect the terrain over each section.

it is not just a bog standard average speed across the course, and there could well be a lot of historical data gone into this.

ok - but then you must still be hoping for an "average day" for the splits to work? A few years back I  compared my splits with the computer and most of the times I was nowhere near the predicted splits until after Suikerbossie.

I guess it's helpful to the the extent where you in control of your average speed over the route, but most of the riders in the front half of the field are not going to drop their starting groups (or drop from their groups) to keep pace with their time splits....