[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

49 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Its nothing to do with the data, its more to do with the Categaory winners, when its a photo finish etc they need to work out who actually won. Hell have no furry like a Vets rider being wronged of a podium spot, would get a lawyers letter for sure. People get upset if you just upload uncleaned data of people that rode with other people's chips etc. Its more of a sanity check than just clicking upload. 

The 42km was quick as there are no category prizes, so no worries if Tim from Potch used Sarahs timing chip and won the U13 girls.

I see that they are still running a sanity check on the Elite ladies category as there are several men in there!

(and that is not an invitation to a conversation about who identifies as what...)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, GenoW said:

2cents as a first timer.

My first CTCT, previous years didn't appeal, always too windy and I didn't train enough to even think about it. This last year though i wanted to experience 'racing'. Got myself into 1B with a few minor PPA events leading up. Overall enjoyed everything, nothing was as bad as i thought, ie parking & traffic, an luckily my group was not the crashy one, but it also wasn't great.

There was zero teamwork, a few guys tried to roll multiple times only to be sat on by the bunch riders and all intent lost. We caught many ahead but couldn't bridge proper. I pulled with the sub 3 in mind but eventually cooked myself and cracked on chappies/suikerbossie, minor cramps all the way to the end.

Overall 1B bros were mostly cordial, fairly polite in etiquette, almost got chopped only once or twice but i focused hard on staying safe so saw them coming. I did see the aftermath of the 1A crashes so that immediately put me in high alert for most of the race. I only started enjoying the race on chappies decent, being able to ride both lanes is too much fun, and then the flying finish after suikerbossie was bliss. I knew most of the route and where to be careful so didn't hit any potholes and got out ahead where ever i could.

It definitely is easier riding the smaller events and i even saw the same bros, one guy in particular had zero awareness or care of how **** he rides, made sure to get away from him asap.

I made one minor mistake but wasn't sweared at so i take that as a good day, unlike some other riders up chappies whom got into a heated debate xD.

There wasn't any banter at the front of 1B and at times the group was eerily silent. So to me the fanfare was great, but I've read it was subpar this year.
The coke and energade was awfully watered down and the water itself tasted of more chlorine than water, that was disgusting.

I chucked my sponsored bottle to some kid asking for one and even got a small push up the last bit of chappies. I didn't puncture so was very thankful for a clean race.

I am fairly disappointed not making the sub and that i cracked, still came in at around 3.14 according to racetec, also got shifted down to 1C.

At present I don't think I'll do another CTCT unless i can smash a 100km solo at 37km/h avg or get some fit mates to form a group.

The views were amazing, the weather was superb, and i enjoyed the experience mostly.
Thanks to everyone out there, riders, organisers, spectators and all.

I agree with your sentiments about the group, also started in 1B, managed to just miss the first break on Edinburgh, but we got back to the main group around Muizenburg (a few guys working), the mood in the group was somber and silent (I've been to funerals with a better vibe), its by far the weirdest CTCT of the 10, I've done... Maybe because most made peace with the fact that the chance of a sub 3 was gone by the time we summited Smits (we went way to slow in the wind, too many people just sitting on).... worked too hard in the first 50km, started cramping after Smits but eventually managed to get in with a 3:15....

5 minutes ago, splat said:

I see that they are still running a sanity check on the Elite ladies category as there are several men in there!

(and that is not an invitation to a conversation about who identifies as what...)

They have no corrected the E2 times either.

55 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Its nothing to do with the data, its more to do with the Categaory winners, when its a photo finish etc they need to work out who actually won. Hell have no furry like a Vets rider being wronged of a podium spot, would get a lawyers letter for sure. People get upset if you just upload uncleaned data of people that rode with other people's chips etc. Its more of a sanity check than just clicking upload. 

The 42km was quick as there are no category prizes, so no worries if Tim from Potch used Sarahs timing chip and won the U13 girls.

So you're assuming Tim is a boy? What if for his 1st ever cycling event Tims dad said he can identify as a girl?

5 minutes ago, Marsh00 said:

I agree with your sentiments about the group, also started in 1B, managed to just miss the first break on Edinburgh, but we got back to the main group around Muizenburg (a few guys working), the mood in the group was somber and silent (I've been to funerals with a better vibe), its by far the weirdest CTCT of the 10, I've done... Maybe because most made peace with the fact that the chance of a sub 3 was gone by the time we summited Smits (we went way to slow in the wind, too many people just sitting on).... worked too hard in the first 50km, started cramping after Smits but eventually managed to get in with a 3:15....

😂😂😂

if it means anything i felt like death at the finish!

50 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

The 42km was probably also quick because its wrong.... Still waiting for my time 😛

Sent the lawyers letter yet? :P

Mine is not there as I never changed the number board which had the timing chip on it.

My very average first 109km was improved drastically by doing the short one afterwards.

Longest ride he has done, told me we can throw away all my DC medals as this one is the best. He greeted about 800 people. He did his max speed of 54.1km/h as he said he could not hear me saying slow down. He is slightly upset he has been training on gravel tires as road tires are much faster...

Yes, his bars are @Sid the Sloth inspired. I also blame the bum bag on Dan as well. 

Our figures:

Official time: 1:47:32

Position: 132/768

Gender position: 93/516

Group position: 23/172

Age group (U15): 17/37

Ave speed: 23.4km/hr

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-12 at 12.01.28 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-12 at 11.38.32 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-12 at 12.01.25 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-13 at 3.02.25 PM.jpeg

1 minute ago, Pure Savage said:

Mine is not there as I never changed the number board which had the timing chip on it.

My very average first 109km was improved drastically by doing the short one afterwards.

Longest ride he has done, told me we can throw away all my DC medals as this one is the best. He greeted about 800 people. He did his max speed of 54.1km/h as he said he could not hear me saying slow down. He is slightly upset he has been training on gravel tires as road tires are much faster...

Yes, his bars are @Sid the Sloth inspired. I also blame the bum bag on Dan as well. 

Our figures:

Did not realise the timing board had a timing chip on it 🤣 Have to phone my lawyer now to retract that letter! Only changed the number on my back..

Great pics of you and your laaitie! 💪

On 2/7/2023 at 7:23 PM, mrdaynes said:

Here’s a breakdown of the average times

This is amazing! Where did you get the data from?

8 minutes ago, BMCfan said:

so, who came close to 'our' spreadsheet goals?

I missed mine by 3 mins

Target was sub4 ended on 4.03, I was really silly for the first 60kms went out of my comfort zone and paid the price in the last 15kms

6 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Our figures:

No way his shorts were aero enough. Negated all the gains which the angled shifters and red colour bike provide.

Also he needs to be taught sock length is a thing..

🤣

29 minutes ago, splat said:

Well, I think they are boys and think they should be there as they did the 78km.