Ciovita Corsa 2.0 vs First Ascent Domestique

PappaWatTrap

13 minutes ago, Comrade J said:

It was about two weekends ago in cradle, and there was a "Aunty" in her "see through" ciovita's🙃

I am still in shock.......

I am still scarred from 2014 East Londen 70.3. Was about to pass a guy on the bike when he stuck out his hand and said don't pass me. I thought what a twit but did not say anything and passed him. As I settled into the tri bars and looked up ahead I saw it. Allison with a complete see through tri pant. I could even make out the red sunburn marks on her white cheeks. There was plenty of Allison to see. I immediately sat up and heard the oke I just passed having a laugh and shouting "I told you not to pass" I burst out laughing slammed on the brakes and we had a lighthearted chat about Allison. 

I vowed I will never be an allison.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a pair of Ciovita in December, to me there sizing is definitely smaller than other brands. Fit is too tight and I won't use them for long rides. I did email them querying this but was just ignored. Won't buy again.

On 1/31/2023 at 9:13 PM, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

I have a pair of bibs that are translucent and I was wondering whether there is some kind of recycling program or similar locallly like Rapha offers, or do these just get tossed?

I know there are sewing places that can sew in a "liner" so that the bib is not see through anymore, should be worthwhile if the chamois is still fine - personally I just tossed them

On 2/1/2023 at 11:48 AM, FondTF2 said:

I guess I am a bit of a snob when it comes to bibs.

1st choice - Castelli / Assos

2nd - Santini

good that most importantly, you've found bibs that work for you.

personally, I'm super envious of those that find Rapid Sport to their liking, allowing them far greater cycling budget additional cycling toys.

I have the opposite problem. I have two pairs of Mission Workshop bibs where the outer is still perfect. They hardly look worn and are probably the toughest bibs I have ever owned. The chamois however, needs to be replaced and fixing them is likely worth it as they cost R5500 a pair. Anyone know where I can get a pair of ElasticInterface or similar chamois's from?

I was looking at these: https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/victor-cycling-chamois-pad.html but I'd need someone to bring back them in their suitcase for me to save on the shipping and duties. Otherwise, I am not sure shipping and duties makes it worth it.

On 1/31/2023 at 7:43 PM, Super Sywurm said:

I bought a pair of Ciovita shorts in November and in December I contacted them beacuse the stitches was coming loose.  The second week in January they sent the courier (10 Jan) to collect the shorts and now, no reply via email.  I sent a couple of mails without any reply.  Should probably give them a ring. 

I received a mail on 20 Jan about a hold-up with the repair, but after that, nothing.  

After sale service not that good.

@CIOVITA

An update...

After my post here, a lady from Ciovita phoned and told me I would receive a new pair before this weekend.

Nothing!

I lost all interest in this brand.

@CIOVITA

Edited by Super Sywurm

20230203_152907.jpg.556b18c0a2d60abbfd3e112c13a4ae6c.jpg

Price wise the Corsa 2.0 actually compares with the First Accent Pro Elite (BLUE).

Actual ride experience, they are comparable .... at least as long as the Ciovita lasts.  My Ciovita was replaced after about 10 long rides.  About 10 000km split between a couple of the First Accent (BLUE and RED) pants the chamois is starting to show its age on 4+ hour rides.

Now trying to get hold of the First Accent PODIUM (BLACK) pants .....

PS - was at Ciovita in Woodstock this afternoon, looking at a pair of Corsa 2.0 pants (not bibs) .... just could not get myself to take the gamble on it ....  Maybe their upper models are better, but not the Corsa

Edited by ChrisF

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

20230203_152907.jpg.556b18c0a2d60abbfd3e112c13a4ae6c.jpg

I have been waiting to ask if I start doing long rides amd stage races if I should get a better than the red  first ascent 

22 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

I have been waiting to ask if I start doing long rides amd stage races if I should get a better than the red  first ascent 

Took this pic at CWC .... who only has the "blue" in stock ..... :P

I have a red and two blue pants .... never knew what the difference was. :ph34r:

In fairness .... the gent at CWC DID make an effort to search their system to check if they stock anywhere else .... none of the Podium models anywhere on their system (at least so I was told)

With a proper 3 day stage race in June I want to get some more padding ....

EDIT - I see First Accent's contact number is in the Cape.  Will reach out to them next week.

EDIT 2 - Seems the Podium (BLACK) is only available in a bib, not in cycling shorts ..... uhmmm, will speak to them, hoping to get a proper chamois in a cycling shorts.  Worth noting some other better brands only do bibs ....

Surely somebody must have a quality shamois in shorts ....

Edited by ChrisF

• 4 weeks later...

I had the unfortunate privilege this morning of riding behind an older gentleman in his see through Ciovita Bib. We should probably add our bibs to the Strava equipment so that we can track the KMs on them before they become translucent 😅

On 2/1/2023 at 11:48 AM, FondTF2 said:

I guess I am a bit of a snob when it comes to bibs.

1st choice - Castelli / Assos

2nd - Santini

Surely there's nothing wrong with that.! 🙃

I think most just want the best bib that they can afford. (true for all equipment I guess)

Bought cycling shorts at Rapid Sports last week.  Yes, they have bibs as well, same padding.

Gave it a 133km trial run ....  VERY happy 👍👍

Now for the durability .... do know their tops are holding up nicely.

• 1 month later...

Also been having issues with my "seethroughvita" shorts as are my brother and his son. Previous generation ciovita bibs are still going strong but new ones only used on the indoor trainer. All get washed cold sports wash cycle with no fabric softener so I think part of the problem is that the cuts are getting smaller (therefore tighter) putting fabric under strain. 

Just purchased my 4th mens small corsa 2 (crash replacement) and it is too small. Having to swap for a med yet according to size charts I'm definitely a small.

Time to try something new I think.

On 2/26/2023 at 4:08 PM, ChrisF said:

Bought cycling shorts at Rapid Sports last week.  Yes, they have bibs as well, same padding.

Gave it a 133km trial run ....  VERY happy 👍👍

Now for the durability .... do know their tops are holding up nicely.

you're a lucky man.

Bibs are not a 'one size fits all' kinda deal... one person can love Assos and only be able to wear assos. that person needs to spend assos money to make their a$$-os happy. personally, i'd like to be able to get away with the cheapest that works best and it looks like you've nailed it.

Do enjoy not spending the assos money while keeping your bits happy. 🙃

2 hours ago, tygerbergmtb said:

Also been having issues with my "seethroughvita" shorts as are my brother and his son. Previous generation ciovita bibs are still going strong but new ones only used on the indoor trainer. All get washed cold sports wash cycle with no fabric softener so I think part of the problem is that the cuts are getting smaller (therefore tighter) putting fabric under strain. 

Just purchased my 4th mens small corsa 2 (crash replacement) and it is too small. Having to swap for a med yet according to size charts I'm definitely a small.

Time to try something new I think.

Another size discrepancy with Ciovita. Honestly never seen a company this bad with inconsistent sizing. 

BTW, I wouldn’t swap for a medium just yet. It’s more than likely a mistake on their hand. If you search this forum there’s plenty of comments of Ciovita sizing just being all over the place.