Ciovita Corsa 2.0 vs First Ascent Domestique

PappaWatTrap

Hi Everyone,

I would like to get a feel from people who have owned both brands before.

What has your experience been with quality, longevity and comfort of the bibs?

I've been cycling with the first ascent stuff for more that 12 years and have always been happy. But I've never tested anything else.

So is it a case of ignorance is bliss and would it be worth it to try something else? 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, PappaWatTrap said:

Hi Everyone,

I would like to get a feel from people who have owned both brands before.

What has your experience been with quality, longevity and comfort of the bibs?

I've been cycling with the first ascent stuff for more that 12 years and have always been happy. But I've never tested anything else.

So is it a case of ignorance is bliss and would it be worth it to try something else? 

I see lots of peeps in Ciovita bibs so they must be doing something right more often than not. However I purchased 2 end of last year and neither of them lasted the full year before they were "see through" and I was grossing out peeps around me. And now that I'm aware of it I spot "see through" Ciovita bibs every now and then... So no thanks, will rather pay a bit more and have something that last longer than 6 months.

If you have a limited budget and liked the first ascent stuff in the past I would say stick with that. Personally I found them a bit uncomfortable on very long rides but they lasted longer for me than ciovitas.

6 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

I see lots of peeps in Ciovita bibs so they must be doing something right more often than not. However I purchased 2 end of last year and neither of them lasted the full year before they were "see through" and I was grossing out peeps around me. And now that I'm aware of it I spot "see through" Ciovita bibs every now and then... So no thanks, will rather pay a bit more and have something that last longer than 6 months.

If you have a limited budget and liked the first ascent stuff in the past I would say stick with that. Personally I found them a bit uncomfortable on very long rides but they lasted longer for me than ciovitas.

How are you washing your bibs?

I have been rotating two Ciovita shorts with my Zwift training everyday for the past 3 years odd. They are still very comfy with no see through-ness at all. I have used the First Ascent shorts in the past and found the chamois didn't last nearly as long as the Ciovitas

15 minutes ago, Dappere said:

How are you washing your bibs?

Normal washing with my other laundry... The chamois is still fine but the other material stretches out. Also I don't have issues with any of my other bibs

@PappaWatTrap I ride with the Corsa 2.0 bibs, for me they are super comfy and the fit really is great, I do feel when I am on the bike for longer than 4 hours that I could do with a pair of bibs that are designed for 6+ hours, but that is just me. 

@Skubarra how are you washing your bibs? I alternate between two Ciovita bibs at the moment, but they are used purely for my weekend out rides and I have other bibs that are used for indoor/training rides. They are roughly a year and a bit old now but they get washed separately on a hand wash cycle and just with minimal washing liquid (no softeners), and that seems to work as they still look and feel as new.

I've had Ciovita Corsas and First Ascent (although the Pro Elite, not the domestic).

Based on their sizing chart I bought a large Ciovita online in 2019 and they were not a good fit (unfortunately my first ride in them coincided with trying out a new saddle which made it even worse).  Fortunately my wife can sew, so she lengthened the bib straps and even moved the chamois position.  Since then they've been ok.

Just after that I then got a pair of First Ascent and ended up getting an XL and they have been great!

And I think that's where I went wrong with the Ciovita, I should have gone with an XL. I've just bought a pair of XL Ciovita's on their Black Friday special, so here's hoping I was right!! 😄

16 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Normal washing with my other laundry... The chamois is still fine but the other material stretches out. Also I don't have issues with any of my other bibs

are you sure you didnt buy their indoor bib ?

Almost made that mistake the first time I bought, luckily there was a sales assistant on hand otherwise everyone that would pass me riding would see more of me than they wanted to. :) 

47 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Watch out for fabric softener. Causes the fibers in material to loose their ability to stretch. Which after a while causes the fibers too thin out. 

Hand wash in cold water is your best bet. 

5 minutes ago, Dappere said:

Hand wash in cold water is your best bet. 

My Corsa shorts (not the 2.0) initially chafed me quite badly. Then one day instead of hand wash, they ended up in the machine (no fabric softener) and since then they've been much better.

They are somewhat see-through by now, but I've had them since buying three pairs for black Friday 2017 😁 But I use shorts only on the indoor trainer, so not going to blind anyone.

My Corsa bib was replaced by Ciovita .... chamois issues, which they acknowledged was due to a "production issue".

New Corsa, though the same size, was a lot smaller .... I gave it away.

I have many First Accent products, and intend to keep buying First Accent.  Spent nearly 7 hours in the saddle last Saturday, First Accent did the job perfectly.

16 minutes ago, HdB said:

My Corsa shorts (not the 2.0) initially chafed me quite badly. Then one day instead of hand wash, they ended up in the machine (no fabric softener) and since then they've been much better.

They are somewhat see-through by now, but I've had them since buying three pairs for black Friday 2017 😁 But I use shorts only on the indoor trainer, so not going to blind anyone.

You get those mesh laundry bags, which you can place your bib in to wash in a washing machine. Some brands give you one of those with the bib. 

Key is not to use fabric softener. 

I prefer my ciovita bib even over my castelli bib.  amazing ride and feel.  the bib straps (over the shoulders) are also excellent.

I have both - My First Accent are probably over 5 years old and Ciovita 3 years old - Happy with both although First Accent have become a bit stretched, i would certainly buy them again though.

Ciovita are also good - I done some seriously long rides in them TB being one and they were perfectly suitable for that kind of riding.

My only issue is their sizing, they are a small cut so normally where i wear XL i have to go XXL - and the last 2 i bought online were not the same as the 1st set i got - the shamy kind of formed a bit of a wedgie and the straps were far to short, nearly had me doubled over. When i emailed them the courier was back the next day to collect them and they sorted the straps out. 

I certainly would not buy any Ciovita without trying them on first - I go to cylelab to try out the fit and then buy them online if CL doesn't have what i want in stock - Last time i bought they were exactly the same price between online and CL