Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

Havnt been riding. Been stuck under the bonnet of my car the last 4 days.

4 days.........either youre doing a massive rebuild or you dont know what youre doing....... [emoji185]

#justjoking

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll just have to do this one in stages:

1. Northern entrance to the Swartberg Pass - the "secret canyon" where you can see how the original horizontal layers of sandstone got folded when Africa and Antarctca crushed together so that they ended up vertical, making cliffs of about 700metres high.

post-17716-0-05382600-1459173130_thumb.jpg

2. A little further up, at Eerste Water, there is a cement dance floor where many years ago the Prince Albert locals held their dances. The dominee declared dancing a sin and forbid it in his town, so like the sensible folks they were, they did it outside of town and beyond his reach. In the towering cliffs above the "dansbaan" there is a rock formation of a clock face, with the hands indicating 20 min past 1, so that is the time dancing finished.....to allow everyone some sleep before Sunday church!

post-17716-0-59947300-1459173525_thumb.jpg

3. The steepest part on the Northern side of the pass, at "Droe Waterval", is always a good spot for a quick breather before tackling the famous hairpin bends with their beautiful hand built dry stone walls. The road was completed in the 1880s well before the car (or the bicycle) was invented. It was designed to carry horse and mule drawn wagons.....which turned out a perfect gradient for cycling.

post-17716-0-10357200-1459173883_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

4. The hairpin bends from above. There are 4 more not showing in the picture. Someone with a drone, please invite yourself along next time so that we can get a picture to tell the real story!

post-17716-0-99351200-1459174316_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

5. To Hell, or not to Hell, that is the question?! This time I had to rush, so I didn't go to Hell, but rather went all the way to The Top! This stretch is a nice rest for the legs. Sadly, it was burnt to a crisp recently. Oh, and b.t.w. don't ever let the 37 km distance fool you into thinking you are close to Hell!

post-17716-0-63702000-1459174542_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

Jonkershoek, for a 4h20 ride and 850m climbing. Canaries, then twice up to the top for Red Phoenix. Epic morning out with Raydek. Red route is riding BEAUTIFULLY after the rain. Bring on winter!

What time were you there, was there as well...?

I say a reign in the parking i know coz i was green with envy [emoji63]