Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

57 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

42 garbaruk chainring with 10/50

I usually use a 38 up front but to win the argus I’ve gone with the 42  - actually surprised how comfortably I’m climbing proper hills with the 42 but I know that when I tour I’m not strong enough when tired 

that gearing has to lug 95kgs up hill and that number sadly excludes bike 

How did you get the road control to work with a 12 speed 10-50t?

• Replies 30.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Trashy said:

It's a section of the Paarl DH track, called Rail DH on Strava. Literally the first corner from the top.

I wasn't expecting the line choice and tried to cut in to jump it, front tire washed out on the loose, off-camber bit and spat me out over the jump.

Eish. I hope you heal up well. I need to go ride that line then. It looks lekker. I did a similar stunt coming down Black Rhino at Contermanskloof. I turned into a very steep switchback into a rocky drop and was undecided on the line choice. Before I knew what was happening I got chucked over the bars onto the rocks below. As I was flying all I could think was "great, I just healed up from a broken ankle" and the ooph . . . (try explain that the missus)

2 hours ago, TheoG said:

🙈 Was just about to ask what happened, doesn't look particularly difficult, even for me 😁

Those are the ones that normally bite back. You tend to approach them with the mindset of "this should be easy" and then WHAM!

23 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Those are the ones that normally bite back. You tend to approach them with the mindset of "this should be easy" and then WHAM!

This was exactly my downfall.

I specifically went out for an easy ride and let my guard down.

If I'd been pinning it I would have been riding aggressively enough to make the corner.

17 minutes ago, Trashy said:

I've seen this movie. I know how it ends. 

Funny story. A few weeks ago while out riding G-spot, mate goes down hard on one of the gaps. Luckily no major injuries, only bruises. A week after we're coming down Black Rhino again and he leads off saying he's just going to take it easy.

About mid way down I come around a corner to hear him screaming at me to stop. He's hit the berm after washing out the front wheel. After much laughter and jeering, he sets off again, and as he passes me he says, "let's go crash again"

Two berms later, there he is curled up in the fetal position, making weird noises.

Ja, easy rides are the ones I avoid.

41 minutes ago, Trashy said:

This was exactly my downfall.

If I'd been pinning it I would have been riding aggressively enough to make the corner.

I know the feeling, I ended up in hospital with broken ribs last year with a similar scenario (neg camber, turning, front wheel went), was on "auto-pilot" on my way back home (last 8ks) on a piece I did hundreds of time before, didn't pay attention and wham, on the ground at about 30 km/hr ... 

Edited by TheoG

7 hours ago, Nakoota said:

Axs is designed to work with the mtb cassette/deraileur  as far as I know 

I have in the past used sram force 11 mechanical with an 10/50 no problem - (oversized garbaruk cage and pulleys)

7 hours ago, Nakoota said:

Obviously AXS is electronic but mechanically  You get a few products these days that can mate road and mtb groupos. 

i have 11 speed 11-46 XT stuff paired with 105 shifters on my wifes gravel bike. 

microshift and Gevenalle both make bar-end as well as mechanical levers/shifters in correct pull ratios for mtb derailleurs/casettes. 

then there are things like wolftooth tanpan too (what i used on wifey’s bike)

Edited by MORNE

2 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Obviously AXS is electronic but mechanically  You get a few products these days that can mate road and mtb groupos. 

i have 11 speed 11-46 XT stuff paired with 105 shifters on my wifes gravel bike. 

microshift and Gevenalle both make bar-end as well as mechanical levers/shifters in correct pull ratios for mtb derailleurs/casettes. 

then there are things like wolftooth tanpan too (what i used on wifey’s bike)

Then there’s the gadget that converts 11 speed sram to 12 speed and that also works with mtb rear  - can’t remember what it’s called but inexpensive