• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

The Swartberg Pass runs over the Swartberg mountain range which runs roughly east–west along the northern edge of the semi-arid area called the Little Karoo The construction of the Swartberg pass was started under the guidance of Jan Tassies who used 100 workers from Mozambique. After 13 months he went bankrupt and only completed 6 km of the road. The rest of the pass was built between 1883 and 1888 by Thomas Bain, son of the famous Andrew Geddes Bain who built Bain's Kloof Pass and many more. It followed their earlier construction of another pass in 1858, the Meiringspoort, through the same mountains but further east.

- Wikipedia

IMG_8119.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

3 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Solo. Adventure. Mountains. Bliss.

IMG_8074.jpeg

Great to see you out & about and exploring @Prince Albert Cycles valley. Swartberg Pass my ultimate favourite climb in the country.

Also visited recently, great pics but I must confess I don't think the brown filters do the area quite justice, I have never seen the area so green in my life! May it last for a while!

3 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Great to see you out & about and exploring @Prince Albert Cycles valley. Swartberg Pass my ultimate favourite climb in the country.

Also visited recently, great pics but I must confess I don't think the brown filters do the area quite justice, I have never seen the area so green in my life! May it last for a while!

My beautiful country in the header of winter. 💟
My 5 hr ride started at 0 degrees in Prins Albert and ended at lunch time in Oudsthoorn at 24 degrees.

#nofilter

IMG_8097.jpeg

IMG_8069.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

Unfortunately not today or yesterday because riding in this weather would be nuts but rather Saturday morning along Clarence Drive. What a beaut of a day it turned out to be 🤙

This is my Eddy Merckx Titane (Titanium) running a 10 speed Dura-Ace setup. Sublime ride on a classic 🤙

EM Titane.jpg

15 hours ago, 'Dale said:

My beautiful country in the header of winter. 💟
My 5 hr ride started at 0 degrees in Prins Albert and ended at lunch time in Oudsthoorn at 24 degrees.

#nofilter

IMG_8097.jpeg

IMG_8069.jpeg

Stunning! I am insanely jealous of where you are cycling now!

First solo ride in a while. 
Weather report warned of strong headwinds coming home, they were not there when I stopped at the 55km mark, but soon picked up and nearly took me off the bike on a few occasions as gust from the side. 

I’ll be doing this route a few times over the next few weeks as I’ll be checking on my folks house whilst they are gone. 

IMG_1430.jpeg

10 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Stunning! I am insanely jealous of where you are cycling now!

The weather gods smiled on Saturday's adventure ride as it was storming yesterday and it is snowing today with a maximum of 9 degrees forecasted, with wind chill factor that would get any boerseun out of his khaki hemp into his K-Way jacket. 🥶

IMG_8169.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale