Future of SA road cycling

Net800m

6 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I guess when I look at the race websites or event pages it always talks about the prizes, the racing, the winning 

I didn't even know a non competitive, but amped person could enter the Tour du Cap. It just focusses on racing and uses the word racing way too often.

I would have entered every year. 

Who you calling "non competitive"?

.... And does this mean you riding next year's tour du cap? 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

SASREA came into play in 2010, when safety at events changed things.

I did allude to that, if I recall the uptake on complying was a little bit slow as it was all rather grey area for a lot who don't think it applies to outdoor events without a defined stadium.

Bikepacking races for one probably totally skirt this, but can somehow fly under the radar. A Mike Hall incident could totally change that.

The big events in both MTB & Road have lost their appeal - They cost an arm and a leg and riders are simply saying, for that kind of money I can do my own thing with a few mates.

Remember the Argus at entry time sold out within a few hours and multi day stage races had a 3 year waiting list. Nowadays they still trying to fill entries up to the day before the race.

The big events attracted a lot of participants because of the hospitality areas that were taken up by companies or clubs for customers and members - These turned into serious kuier sessions after the race and you simply had to be there. Organizers ripped the prices of these areas until clubs could no longer afford them and companies said "mmmm Naaaaa our money is better spent elsewhere"

Prices for food and drink in the general hospitality area became insane - 30 ronds for 350ml water - People simply finished the ride, got in their car and went home. 

Value for money just isn't there anymore.

The only events that I can say are still value for money are some of the old MTB races like the Nissan series, Garmin series (even they are now few and far between) NF quickie. 

Gravel events are the flavor at the moment because both roadies and MTBers get to ride the same route and the big events like Race to the Sun and Race to the Sea plus some others are well organized and people still see value for money. 

15 hours ago, Frosty said:

At R400/entry, that’s 150 entries needed just to cover the advertising costs.

How many entries could you generate for a well organised event with a great route like Tour de Worcester if you spent the R60k on social media placements? I'd be surprised if you don't easily hit the required 150, but not my field...

19 hours ago, Dazshell said:

We have started that here in Dirtbin (Durban). The Ethekweni Safe Cycling Forum. Most of the bigger clubs and bike shops represented, PPA, Metro Police and some of the EMS guys.  Works to a degree and the PPA do a great job getting some action out of the municipality.  However, it is an uphill battle.  Like climbing Suikerbossie at the end of CTCT!

What we need from these forums is FEEDBACK (to the clubs). What are the successes that these forums have achieved?

Otherwise it becomes a talk shop where lots of talking is done with very little effect. 

Have we ever identified main cycling routes and ensure that they are kept in top condition for riding. I say this coz I had a bad accident, flying off my TT bike at 41,5km/h due to a narrow open channel next to a manhole cover on a seemingly perfect road in central Pinetown that was upgraded and re-tarred during our last world cup. Broke my elbow and tore ligaments and was concussed for an hour and a half (have video of accident as it happened right outside Toyota entrance). Recovery has been painful and slow...

Favourite roads need to be identified and road inspections need to be carried out by these forums/clubs to create a safer cycling experience for commuters/ weekend warriors/  racers & Pro's.

Hi.  The forum is a fairly in formal group that does it's best to get the City to resolve any reported issues.  The cutting back of bushes along the cycle path and M4 is a prime example.  It took a lot of perseverance but eventually we got some action. Sadly, the City seems to have bigger problems to deal with than making sure our roads are safe for cyclists.

Perhaps it is time to try and get more of the clubs involved as Covid seemed to have seen it fizzle out a bit, so I will try and see what can be done through the structures at KZN Cycling.  In the mean time, please send me your or your club chairman's contact details to chairman@eccc.co.za and I will get you added to the Whatsapp group.

39 minutes ago, robbybzgo said:

What we need from these forums is FEEDBACK (to the clubs). What are the successes that these forums have achieved?

Otherwise it becomes a talk shop where lots of talking is done with very little effect. 

Central Gauteng have a WhatsApp group for clubs, with 56 participants on the group. Some are from the same club, so the number of clubs represented is diluted. When clubs are asked to attend a session to discuss this very matter, the attendance is poor. Why?

Do clubs actually care about matters like this, or do the representatives actually represent their club?

Then there are cyclists that don’t want to belong to a club, even though CyclingSA are now forcing the matter with membership and licensing. Who hears their voice? Does their voice even matter?

In the last (CGC club) meeting, a lot was said but very little was achieved on the way forward. No disrespect to those that attended, as they were there to hear, or be heard. As a club that has organised road and MTB events, as well as cyclists ourselves, we can offer more than one perspective, but it’s not the only perspective.

21 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Sad but very likely true.

there are also other factors that has contributed to this demise. One that has not been mentioned yet is that road closures

Not just difficult but incredibly costly. The costs associated with paying municipalities, police, metro police etc for road closures and personnel are significant for event organisers.

22 minutes ago, b-rad said:

Not just difficult but incredibly costly. The costs associated with paying municipalities, police, metro police etc for road closures and personnel are significant for event organisers.

In 2019, Ekurhuleni Metro charged us R105k, and wanted to charge double that for 2020. Thankfully covid forced us to change venues and route. And that wasn’t even full rod closure, just for them to be present at the event. There are some good officers and then there are those just collecting the overtime.

10 years ago, the bill would have been R20k-R30k, and 20 years ago it was free (community service delivery).

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

and 20 years ago it was free (community service delivery).

While reading your comment I was thinking this really should just be a service to the greater good of the community...

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

How many entries could you generate for a well organised event with a great route like Tour de Worcester if you spent the R60k on social media placements? I'd be surprised if you don't easily hit the required 150, but not my field...

Sorry, I missed your question.

I guess one way is to have a coupon code where, if using the link provided, you would get a small discount. It’s then measureable.

56 minutes ago, b-rad said:

Helping out on an established event hosted by a school - as mentioned earlier the costs and the hoops one have to jump through to meet SASREA requirements are insane. Then add negotiating the Education laws (good luck trying to add a beer tent to the event 🤣) that sometimes contradict the SASREA requirements 🤦‍♂️

The event is still profitable - mostly because of dedicated parents giving their time for free and sponsors loyal to the school - but its obvious there are more efficient ways for the school to use their time & resources to raise funds. I don't see how new road funrides will be added to the WC calender given current conditions 

Not to alarm anybody, but...
Road from Val de Vie, all the way to the right-turn to Dutoitskloof, is a big construction site (so much for the live in the rural quiet Winelands...) - what will this mean for Tour du Cap and Boland 100 miler?

Road was very busy this past Sunday, at the time these events typically roll through there...

Two ways to increase road cycling events.

*CSA unlock funding from lotto and allocate to deserving events so they can be subsidized, lots of other sports get this right

*People support the events that are there

Here's a bonus one. Have hugely reduced entry fees for people riding on a bike worth less than R7k. Special number board. Name and shame people who try this on their sworks

13 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Two ways to increase road cycling events.

*CSA unlock funding from lotto and allocate to deserving events so they can be subsidized, lots of other sports get this right

*People support the events that are there

Here's a bonus one. Have hugely reduced entry fees for people riding on a bike worth less than R7k. Special number board. Name and shame people who try this on their sworks

I Smaak it stukkend