the unofficial UCI Mountain Bike World Cup thread

nathrix

True - all they've done is mention on their insta that the events are taking place at x and y venues. 

The XCO and DH coverage is pretty good, perhaps better than RBTV, I think. In stark contrast to the XCM 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Spafsack said:

Why cant she get part of a team, seems such a shame, and she is a legend in the Epic. Maybe Cannondale must incorporate her? To get 6th place is scary good.

Several factors;

- budget, teams need to budget for an extra rider and A saffa not based in Europe is expensive 

- visa issues 

-and results have not been in the range where a trade team would have taken much notice. Since she’s switched to Barry Austin she’s picked up form and her results have improved. I suspect that biting the bullet and going to Europe living out of a camper van had also played a positive role rather than travelling back and forth.

if she keeps up her present form she might get a good shot at a trade team for next year. CFR is full but who knows how the the merry go round will play out for 2025 after the Olypmics. 

Consistently plugging away, same/similar challenges as any rider not based on the European continent. Although same riders seem to cruise. But without speaking on Candice Kill’s behalf she’s also been as focused on having the right people around her as a support structure. And there’s no doubt her husband is a big part of this, often seen him on a lot of behind the scenes stuff getting stuck in and helping out, not just with Candice but any Saffa/African riders present. 
There’s a decent core of African staffers/industry professionals working on the circuit, often helping each other out. People underestimate the impact of this is, particularly if just starting out and trying to build a network.

Saw somewhere where someone thanked one of the Specialized Toyota mechanics, Nick. Helped them with a problem.

Anyway, Lill is in good company, her current ranking speaks for itself. 
IMG_4904.jpeg.0b632c873e31283ebe9caa25d244ecee.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Consistently plugging away, same/similar challenges as any rider not based on the European continent. Although same riders seem to cruise. But without speaking on Candice Kill’s behalf she’s also been as focused on having the right people around her as a support structure. And there’s no doubt her husband is a big part of this, often seen him on a lot of behind the scenes stuff getting stuck in and helping out, not just with Candice but any Saffa/African riders present. 
There’s a decent core of African staffers/industry professionals working on the circuit, often helping each other out. People underestimate the impact of this is, particularly if just starting out and trying to build a network.

Saw somewhere where someone thanked one of the Specialized Toyota mechanics, Nick. Helped them with a problem.

Anyway, Lill is in good company, her current ranking speaks for itself. 
IMG_4904.jpeg.0b632c873e31283ebe9caa25d244ecee.jpeg

Yes she’s definitely got a lot more support around her than in previous seasons and that is showing in the results. She still has time in her career to get a trade team contract. She and Darren have also taken U23 XCO racer Tyler Jacobs under the wing 

Maybe because you see it every day @J Wakefield but for the Average Joe that's a Double Century, the kind of event mere mortals train month for.

While I have you here, that "Cherry" juice riders take directly after a stage, is it pure Cherry juice or a mixture of berries & apple juice? Or is it a cherry coloured masking agent? 😉

51 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Maybe because you see it every day @J Wakefield but for the Average Joe that's a Double Century, the kind of event mere mortals train month for.

While I have you here, that "Cherry" juice riders take directly after a stage, is it pure Cherry juice or a mixture of berries & apple juice? Or is it a cherry coloured masking agent? 😉

Yes, it's a masking agent that is used to tease WADA cause it's in their face and there is nothing they can do about it cause its taken directly at the finish in a area that chaperones are unable to enter. It's so quick acting that within 4.86 seconds your body is clear of everything and anything including and not limited to toothache from to many gels all the way to preventing world hunger in 2032. 
its an incredible product. 

22 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

Yes, it's a masking agent that is used to tease WADA cause it's in their face and there is nothing they can do about it cause its taken directly at the finish in a area that chaperones are unable to enter. It's so quick acting that within 4.86 seconds your body is clear of everything and anything including and not limited to toothache from to many gels all the way to preventing world hunger in 2032. 
its an incredible product. 

This sounds juicy …. Tell me more😌

On 5/27/2024 at 11:58 AM, Spafsack said:

Why cant she get part of a team, seems such a shame, and she is a legend in the Epic. Maybe Cannondale must incorporate her? To get 6th place is scary good.

Wasn't she on Bart's team last year? which folded?

38 minutes ago, kosmonooit said:

I am not actually sure. I recall an SA lady in XCO, but she didnt fair well, the competition is just on another level, but maybe it was her. Candice is however doing dam well now!

2 hours ago, kosmonooit said:

No that was Mariske Strauss who ended up with a bit of myocarditis and had to take a break. Shes very happy living her best life right now 

• 2 weeks later...

This is such a great sport. More and more i find that anything else, F1, Moto X etc  pales into insignificance compared to this. You can buy a bike imagine your a WC racer going down DH 3 and then watch them do it properly. Yeehaa.