Bradley Wiggins struggling

Mamil

2 hours ago, Mamil said:

Not an easy one, this the guy who didn't pay Froome his win bonus after being dragged around France for three weeks?

Team Sky was always big money and he was the top signing, clearly he didn't look after it very well. I'm sure she's not blameless either.

but there is a human in the middle of this, a complex one. He can turn it around with the right guidance.

Never liked this guy, but a sad story indeed, this thread sent me to Google and read what actually happened - To think at his height he was worth 13 mil pounds and today is basically homeless is incerdibly sad.

Part of the article mentions his struiggles with mental health, which got me thinking when i was young and growing up as a teen and early 20's - Mental health was never an issue amongst us kids or our parents for that fact. Yes it was there and you woul hear of some people having a few struggles in life, but never at the level we see it in todays society.

I wonder why that is ? Is it that it just was not discussed openly back in the day or is it our access to huge amounts of information, which honestly is just depressing in todays world.

Or has society failed in mentally preparing the gen Y / Z for life in the big wild world out there. It seems when they hit a hurdle in life they just dont have the skills or tools to deal with it.    

5 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Never liked this guy, but a sad story indeed, this thread sent me to Google and read what actually happened - To think at his height he was worth 13 mil pounds and today is basically homeless is incerdibly sad.

Part of the article mentions his struiggles with mental health, which got me thinking when i was young and growing up as a teen and early 20's - Mental health was never an issue amongst us kids or our parents for that fact. Yes it was there and you woul hear of some people having a few struggles in life, but never at the level we see it in todays society.

I wonder why that is ? Is it that it just was not discussed openly back in the day or is it our access to huge amounts of information, which honestly is just depressing in todays world.

Or has society failed in mentally preparing the gen Y / Z for life in the big wild world out there. It seems when they hit a hurdle in life they just dont have the skills or tools to deal with it.    

As someone who grew up with a very mentally unstable father, I can assure you it existed.

There was, however, I very taboo attitude towards it. The stigma attached to mental health has been addressed and the realities of what it is or that it even exists is far more accepted.

The 'sweep it under the rug and don't talk about it' generation suffered and their kids (us) were left with pretty big scars that we were ill equipped to deal with.

It's quite a complex thing.

The internet and social media has also produced quite an interesting dynamic with regards to how much/what people feel involved in.

The fact that 'you never liked the guy' means that through his cycling and exposure, you developed an emotional reaction to him. People these days have emotional reactions to all the comments, personalities, global situations etc they are exposed to and they are exposed to a LOT

In the old days you could head in the sand it by just not reading the news paper or watching the news.

It's again more complicated, but our brains weren't made to cope with so much stimulation

Was going to reply but Jewbecca summed it up nicely.

Its both, in the past they'd tell you to just HTFU and deal with it, it was rarely recognised as an illness, you were just deemed weak.

On the information side, especially with Social media algorythms tailoring your feeds, its very easy to head down the depression hole with negative information bombarding your social feeds.

As someone that suffers with mental health, I often have to check myself when I start to recognise the signs in me, and most times upon evaluation its because I've headed down the negative hole via my social media feeds.

Its a continuous struggle and I would imagine someone that in the public spotlight has it 100 times worse.

You both make very good sense of the madness

I think social media is playing a huge roll in the mental state of people today, if you dont keep it in check, you end up down these very dark rabbit holes. 

40 minutes ago, madmarc said:

I’ve seen many a podcast where ex professional sportspeople discuss their struggles with normal life once they retire. Think Dorian Yates, Joe van Niekerk, etc. It’s really sad to see. 

32 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Pretty much all illnesses have existed always, but because they weren't known or studied, they were never a thing. Now these things are studied and known about, and so there's a consciousness around them.

Mental health is hugely stigmatised - 'ag man, just cheer up' is perhaps one such thing we've heard or even said. Many things are easier said than done, and that's one of them.

We take our physical health extremely seriously> At least we should and an extremely lucrative healthcare industry is testimony to that. But how seriously do we take mental health? It can be just as debilitating. And for those doubting that statement, count yourself as lucky.

Empathy, kindness, and acceptance are good tenets to follow where mental health issues are concerned. I wish more people kept that in mind, myself included.

That Wiggins divided fans seems reasonable, due almost certainly to his very nature, the same nature that probably took him to the top.

But remember this: Wiggins is in the news because of his stardom and exploits, but countless others are going through exactly the same, yet we don't know about them. Does change how we feel about those souls? My God, I hope not

I;ll leave this here. I think it's been on the hub before, but here it is again 

"It's a desperate situation he's in, tragic really, that's why I've put him up for a bit," she explains. "We're lucky with the home we have that he can have one end and I have another."

Cath also doesn't fully blame Wiggins for his own predicament. "I'm not going to name names. But people took advantage. And Bradley was very generous. He was never that interested in money," she concludes.

There's normal people out there with real sad stories beyond their control that never had 13 million pounds to squander. IFFA.

23 minutes ago, Irvin85 said:

Bliksem. 13Million pounds is a lot of money to spend. I feel for the him. 

The INTEREST on £13m is a lot to spend!  🤑
I think though "worth" 13bar vs "have" 13bar are two different concepts.

That said, interest rate of 8% from the bank with 45% tax gives you R1m interest after tax every month.
Mind bending serious money

Edited by Spinnekop

Oh my… how can one even understand how we got here? This is super sad, the guys classed as a national treasure! 

440 watts over 60 minutes for the hour record. The highly desired Golden Fleece made in France. Cycling achievements, custom bicycles, esteemed jerseys and medals that could fill up a small museum. Knighthood. Celebrity status. And more.

None of these sporting achievements can armour a man against the cross currents of this thing called life. What must be extraordinarily tough is to have one's struggles under the spotlight of public scrutiny. The British media is particularly rough.

Hope the man has all the support he needs; him and those all around us that are quietly and desperately bleeding from psychological wounds from what has become a harsh and rushed world.

Just had a look at his Wiki profile.

Having dealt with abandonment issues from his father as well as sexual grooming/abuse from his childhood coach, one cannot imagine how this must affect someone.

I sincerely hope that friends and family help him through these times.