Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

10 minutes ago, RobbyB said:

Someone needs to design a Pepper Spay / Smoke & Dye bomb that attaches to the bike with a cord connected to the cyclist. (Similar to a kill switch on a jetski).  There would also be a ring pull to activate the device allowing the cord to activate the device when separated from the cyclist.

So when the rider and bike are separated by more than two and a half meters...the bomb goes off spraying everyone within range with a good dose of itchy scratchy coloured dye. If released in a vehicle it would render the car unusable for a few minutes and impregnate the interior by a bright coloured dye. (There could also be microscopic particles present that could identify which cannister it came from therefore giving evidence to police/investigators whose bike was stolen)

Someone needs to run with this idea...if you do I'll take a 1% commission on sales...

Personally, perhaps because it is year-end and I am unusually grumpy, I think a handgranade in the saddle that can be activated with an app...............bad thoughts..............fight them..............ban them..................aaaaah hell..................too difficult.............🤪

Edited by DJR

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, RobbyB said:

Someone needs to design a Pepper Spay / Smoke & Dye bomb that attaches to the bike with a cord connected to the cyclist. (Similar to a kill switch on a jetski).  There would also be a ring pull to activate the device allowing the cord to activate the device when separated from the cyclist.

So when the rider and bike are separated by more than two and a half meters...the bomb goes off spraying everyone within range with a good dose of itchy scratchy coloured dye. If released in a vehicle it would render the car unusable for a few minutes and impregnate the interior by a bright coloured dye. (There could also be microscopic particles present that could identify which cannister it came from therefore giving evidence to police/investigators whose bike was stolen)

Someone needs to run with this idea...if you do I'll take a 1% commission on sales...

I like it -- with a beeper that reminds you to disarm it at the Bootleggers

5 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Just received a message on a cycling group of a lady who was knocked down by a vehicle at the Llandudno robot around 9am, there were eye witnesses. Prefer not to say exactly what the message says as that is speculation at this point. Also received a photograph taken at the scene. No confirmation of injuries or as to how serious the victim is. That is an extremely fast descent going down from top of Suikers toward Town. Let's hope for the best.

That is one of the "BE WIDE AWAKE" places on the Atlantic route. Another is the traffic lights on the Hout Bay side of Suikerbossie.

15 minutes ago, DJR said:

That is one of the "BE WIDE AWAKE" places on the Atlantic route. Another is the traffic lights on the Hout Bay side of Suikerbossie.

This is the spot where a lady got dragged by a drunk driver in his BMW a couple of years back if memory serves. Since then I have been very cautious on approach on both the ascent and descent towards that set of traffic lights.

Another person was knocked down in Lakeside this morning when 2 taxis stopped and let a car cross into a side road and the poor dude hit the car. 

He will be ok but his Niner gravel bike not so much.

1 hour ago, Pure Savage said:

Another person was knocked down in Lakeside this morning when 2 taxis stopped and let a car cross into a side road and the poor dude hit the car. 

He will be ok but his Niner gravel bike not so much.

Wasn't the taxi's fault from what I understand.

News from hospital: Compression fractures in my spine, chipped off a piece of bone in one of my vertebrae, 10 stitches in my chin, 7 in my knee.  Too much pain to walk - staying overnight for pain management.

1 minute ago, splat said:

News from hospital: Compression fractures in my spine, chipped off a piece of bone in one of my vertebrae, 10 stitches in my chin, 7 in my knee.  Too much pain to walk - staying overnight for pain management.

is that from the lady on suikers north?

Edited by Jbr

Seems theres a lot of areas to watch out for but suppose its not much different to riding in Joburg...

Im gonna be in Somerset West from the 23rd December and one of the rides I wanted to do was from SSW through Strand, Gordons bay all the way on the coastal route to Hermanus. Is there any caution areas?

Ive gone as far as bettys bay and then back to SSW about 2 years back and it was fine.

Will br riding MTB mostly but a tar ride on the MTB isnt out of the question and thats one of the rides I want to do.

49 minutes ago, ChUkKy said:

Seems theres a lot of areas to watch out for but suppose its not much different to riding in Joburg...

Im gonna be in Somerset West from the 23rd December and one of the rides I wanted to do was from SSW through Strand, Gordons bay all the way on the coastal route to Hermanus. Is there any caution areas?

Ive gone as far as bettys bay and then back to SSW about 2 years back and it was fine.

Will br riding MTB mostly but a tar ride on the MTB isnt out of the question and thats one of the rides I want to do.

I posted a link to your infamous youtube video to all local newspapers...no one will bother you. 

On 12/10/2021 at 7:57 AM, Mamil said:

Yes it is good news that these criminals seem to have been caught. But unless the systemic issues underlying the problem are addressed, which they aren't being IMO, there will be more and more of these incidents. It is going to take progressively higher levels of private security, CCTV etc to maintain islands of safety. 

Why do we need MORE private security? Can't the police do there flippen jobs? Can't the government channel more money into recruiting and training a bigger police force? South Africa needs leaders who's aren't in it for the glitz and glamour but who will actually roll up their sleeves and get involved. 

I'm glad these guys were caught but there's so many factors that affect this that it needs a government intervention. No jobs  = crime lack of border control = bikes get through to neighbouring countries. Lack of policing and convictions = these chops will be back on the streets soon

So again, glad they are caught but hope they are off the streets for a long period. 

FYI I saw the fuzz patrolling our area twice in to days... WTAF??

MEDIA RELEASE
Sea, Air and Mountain operators arrests suspicious criminal
South African National Parks (SANParks) today announced an encouraging development in the Table Mountain National Park (TMNP) Sea, Air and Mountain (SEAM) special operations rangers, as they embarked on their anti-crime operations across the park.
The TMNP Park Manager, Mr. Frans van Rooyen congratulated the SEAM operators who managed to remove those illegally overnighting in hot spot areas, and has welcomed the arrest and detainment of a suspected criminal this weekend.
This according to van Rooyen who confirmed that this is the start of our SEAM operators park wide deployment with a successful extended operation in the Signal Hill, Lions Head, Tafelberg road, and Table Mountain front face areas of the park. The unit with the canine detachment conducted covert and visible policing operations, supported by the South African Police Services (SAPS) and TMNP rangers.
On the 11th of December 2021, SEAM operators successfully removed individuals illegally overnighting in the Schotschekloof area of TMNP. On the 12th of December 2021, SEAM operators arrested a suspicious individual on the slopes of Signal Hill who was in possession of a dangerous weapon and drugs. It was later confirmed by the SAPS that the 35 year old male has an existing criminal record.
“We are grateful to have successes coming from the SEAM operators in their first official week of operation and we will continue to focus on these urban edge zones to ensure the safety of our visitors. We urge our surrounding communities to continue to help us in a fight to curb crime within and around Table Mountain National Park. Congratulations to the entire SEAM team, K9 unit, operations center management and stakeholders and we thank you for your dedication, discipline and tenacity,” concluded van Rooyen.
The suspects have been handed over to the SAPS for further investigation and will be appearing in court in due course.
**END**

On 12/12/2021 at 9:12 AM, ChUkKy said:

Just be careful on the piece of road between Strand and Gordons Bay.

A few attacks on this piece of road.

Also remembers the guy that got stabbed with a knife in his head.

Wimpie vd Merwe was also attacked on this road.

https://www.news24.com/you/news/cyclist-attacked-with-a-knife-near-somerset-west-20181120

https://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/news/former-top-sa-cyclist-lucky-to-escape-spear-attack-near-strand-40912334