• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done 65km/h on a tar downhill on the MTB and that was fast enough already. All that went through my mind was that if one comes down and that speed with only baggies and a cycling shirt you are going to have a few roasties to brag about. :blink: :wacko: :huh: ;)

84 km/h on the Simola descent to Knysna during Karoo to Coast on my Spez Camber wearing 2.30" Purgatory and Ground Control.

edit - I very nearly lost it understeering into one of the bends. The rubber only just managed to hold on...

Descending Hellshoogte into Stellies, I reached about 78km/h right beside the armco barrier, and all that went through my mind was how that steel barrier will slice me should I end up sliding down it....

Edited by Robbie Stewart

92kph, 19mm tyres, steel frame, plenty plenty youthful ignorance.

Ok just watched the clip

He has huge brass ones.

93kp/h, Tour Durban, 2006 or 2007 (can't recall). Also youthfully ignorant, but at least on 23mm tyres! 

But in a very straight line.... 

Straight line, short downhill in Pretoria last week on 25mm Conti........95.
This Covid lyfie has to count for something!  

Top end is still 113km/h behind a truck on some piece of road I was not suppose to be on.

Edited by Spinnekop

Top end is still 113km/h behind a truck on some piece of road I was not suppose to be on.

Trucks traveling at the right speed, on a good surface (no potholes) don’t come by on every ride, so it’s nice to be able to suck wheel when it does.

67km/h is my current best behind a truck before running out of gears to stay in the slip. I can’t imagine 113.

I managed a good 65km/h for 10 minutes on the flat, tucked in behind a tractor/trailer on a smooth straight road.....

Perhaps not my smartest move, but I enjoyed it at the time.

I have done just over 100 on the tandem once. stage 4 of the kremetart on that decent into town. Your helmet and glasses do weird things on your head at that speed. Done upper 80s/lower 90s many times, pretty much all on the tandem and mostly in races with little to no vehicles.

I have done just over 100 on the tandem once. stage 4 of the kremetart on that decent into town. Your helmet and glasses do weird things on your head at that speed. Done upper 80s/lower 90s many times, pretty much all on the tandem and mostly in races with little to no vehicles.

First stage of the Krematart back in 99' I was sprinting out the back of the bunch at 80kph, I just could not keep up, a tandem was leading the bunch at incredible speeds. as to that last hill, Ottosehoogte, trained on that many at time, 80kph was a mild day..

117km/h behind truck down Sir Lowrys heading  villiers dorp side many moons ago.

104km/h down front Kaapse weg as a youngster and High 90's plenty of times.

I managed a good 65km/h for 10 minutes on the flat, tucked in behind a tractor/trailer on a smooth straight road.....

Perhaps not my smartest move, but I enjoyed it at the time.

I always liked a good tow behind a truck especially if the driver was not a cowboy.  Since in Germany I very seldom get the chance to motorpace behind trucks as here they are roadworthy and accelerate to fast in most cases but every now and then their is a chance.

However I think I am getting old now, I seldom exceed 80 km/h, even on my own going downhill.  Roads are also very narrow here and when you have winding pass you can't go to fast you can't use the whole road.