Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Thanks Chris! Im already seeing a dietitian and yes I fully agree, it does make a world of difference seeing what you are actually eating!

Im pretty much the same on the morning rides as I dont want to arrive all sweaty to start the day... Luckily these winter mornings have been brisk so  not looking too bad coming into the office... A huge improvement compared to when I started mid summer and I was sweating like a dog in a Chinese restaurant.

Also my wife always comments that the days I don't ride I'm a grumpy sod... so she actively supports me to ride everyday :lol:

Your wife is not the only one!!!  :clap:

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't commute on my bike, but today I went to fetch my mtb from a lbs about 2 blocks away from work. Just on the short ride back to the office I saw how bad some people drive. Someone didn't use their indicators and turned left (instead of going straight), right in front of me where I wanted to cross the road. A guy at work stopped commuting because of getting clipped by car mirrors on more than one occasion. It would be nice to have proper cycle lanes and more bike conscious motorists.

I don't commute on my bike, but today I went to fetch my mtb from a lbs about 2 blocks away from work. Just on the short ride back to the office I saw how bad some people drive. Someone didn't use their indicators and turned left (instead of going straight), right in front of me where I wanted to cross the road. A guy at work stopped commuting because of getting clipped by car mirrors on more than one occasion. It would be nice to have proper cycle lanes and more bike conscious motorists.

cheap and in theory a simple task to achieve ...... in an ideal world!

ARGH. Sorry to hear. Glad you "ok". Where did it happen?

Shelton Avenue going under the R24 .

Motorist was behind me at the traffic light then went blind when she tried to pass me

Also my wife always comments that the days I don't ride I'm a grumpy sod... so she actively supports me to ride everyday :lol:

My wife gets grumpy if she does not accompany me on my commutes to work. Then she rides home by herself.

I am more nervous about her riding by herself then I am about my solo ride home

Shelton Avenue going under the R24 .

Motorist was behind me at the traffic light then went blind when she tried to pass me

We lost a club member at that intersection a few years ago. He was coming down the hill(from the hotel side) and a lightie that was on drugs came from the opposite side(from the caravan shop) and turned right to go under the bridge and the cyclist T-boned him. The lightie drove off but they later tracked him down. He had driven home and apparently when the cops found him he was still high as a kite.

My lesson of the day:

"A mans ego may result in a basin bath ..."  :whistling:

Was idling up the hill on the way to work, MUCH slower than required ... purely to not sweat ....

And then another commuter comes past me .... damn muscle-memory  :whistling:   DROPPED a couple of gears, and stood on the peddles .... stayed with him .... and got to work drenched in sweat .... damn ego ....  :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

I was taken a back this afternoon. Bumper to bumper traffic on klipfontein road opp red cross hospital and a roadie comes past in between the cars at the traffic light with a camera on the helmet. I think thats clever, then is buddy comes past and blasts thru the red light and he follows. Then further down the road again thru the red light and all the others after that.

I think to myself, how dumb to record all your transgressions while trying catch someone knocking you off your bike should that happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if any of you know... Many pages back the ryder rear light was recommended on here as a firm favourite of commuters. I got myself one and yes its great. One problem I have noticed and Im wondering if any of you have had similar issues. So it came fully charged and I like to use it until the battery runs out before fully charging it again (in the vague hope of extending battery life). So it eventually runs down so that it only lights up for about 30sec before switching off. Great. Plug it in and let it charge for a couple hours. Its fully charged now but it no longer flashes... the rear light is now just permanently on. I tried pressing the switch to change functions and it just goes to about three settings of brightness and then back to dim but all steady on/static with no flashing/strobe effect at all. Anybody else have this issue... this was my first time charging the thing.

https://www.rydercycling.co.za/ryder-products/lights/super-cob-usb-light-detail

I wonder if any of you know... Many pages back the ryder rear light was recommended on here as a firm favourite of commuters. I got myself one and yes its great. One problem I have noticed and Im wondering if any of you have had similar issues. So it came fully charged and I like to use it until the battery runs out before fully charging it again (in the vague hope of extending battery life). So it eventually runs down so that it only lights up for about 30sec before switching off. Great. Plug it in and let it charge for a couple hours. Its fully charged now but it no longer flashes... the rear light is now just permanently on. I tried pressing the switch to change functions and it just goes to about three settings of brightness and then back to dim but all steady on/static with no flashing/strobe effect at all. Anybody else have this issue... this was my first time charging the thing.

https://www.rydercycling.co.za/ryder-products/lights/super-cob-usb-light-detail

you are in luck ... it supposedly carries a lifetime warranty ... so take it back to your LBS for a new one

I saw that when I was looking for the spec of it... I got it at bike addict so I rather decided to mail ryder directly... figured that might be much quicker than trying through BA.

My Rider FRONT light has died twice ... recharge, and it works in all modes.

The rear light is recharged often enough to avoid it going dead

uhm .... maybe a good time for a recharge ....

Propper guilt trip for not commuting today. Visibility was fine. Have full fenders and lekker jacket. Friggen lazy ass

Propper guilt trip for not commuting today. Visibility was fine. Have full fenders and lekker jacket. Friggen lazy ass

:whistling:

Looked at the weather forecast ..  :eek:   knew I was not going to commute this week ..... so I did a nice long ride yesterday  :thumbup:

seriously considering an entry level trainer for these weeks .... dammit, have I become a cycling addict ...  :eek:   :whistling: