Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

Went Charter Fishing off Shelly beach the other day. A bloke from Klerksdorp was on the boat and offered Camels to everyone, saying he had to get it finished before the end of the day's fishing cause his missus will be mad if she finds he smokes again. I asked him how long he stopped for before he started smoking again. Very casually he said "33 years". 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went Charter Fishing off Shelly beach the other day. A bloke from Klerksdorp was on the boat and offered Camels to everyone, saying he had to get it finished before the end of the day's fishing cause his missus will be mad if she finds he smokes again. I asked him how long he stopped for before he started smoking again. Very casually he said "33 years".

Sadly i do believe that to be the case - it's an endless battle, even now 7 odd years down the line, I'm often tempted to take just one drag - if I do I know it's back to that miserable square 1. 

Sadly i do believe that to be the case - it's an endless battle, even now 7 odd years down the line, I'm often tempted to take just one drag - if I do I know it's back to that miserable square 1. 

Agreed. Myself, I've been liberated for the past 4 years after chainsmoking for the best part of 26 years. Must say, if it wasn't for Champix tablets back then, I would never have done it. Never felt better. The craving is long gone. Mind over matter really. Never will a cigarette be my boss again. Like my dad used to say. "It is the cigarette that smokes. You are only the Sucker at the other end".  Best of luck to those trying to kick the habit into touch. It is worth it.

I have been of the sig's for aboit 18 months now and still going strong.I also get anoyed by second hand smoke and the smell on the clothes of smokers now.

This afternoon I received very good news. My wife is working night shift and on her way out of the house she informed me, in a very nonchalant manner that she had decided to stop smoking.

I have been trying to get her to quit since I stopped, but she has had no desire to do so. So I am really psyched that she is finally showing iterest in queting and will be supporting her all the way.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

For the record she had stopped smoking for almost a year about 6years ago when she was pregnant with our son. In the months after she gave birth she secretly started smoking again. I only found out she had started after 6months.Back then she blamed the pressures of being a first time inexperienced young mother for relapsing.

I really hope this is the last we see of siggarettes in our house. Will be supporting het all the way.

I have been of the sig's for aboit 18 months now and still going strong.I also get anoyed by second hand smoke and the smell on the clothes of smokers now.

This afternoon I received very good news. My wife is working night shift and on her way out of the house she informed me, in a very nonchalant manner that she had decided to stop smoking.

I have been trying to get her to quit since I stopped, but she has had no desire to do so. So I am really psyched that she is finally showing iterest in queting and will be supporting her all the way.

Same boat. My OH smokes and it annoys the hell out of me. I can tolerate the smell when not in small enclosed space, but the fine dust from the ash ...arrggghh ( annoying ex -smoker - check)

Thing is he doesn't really want to quit, every now and again he gets some meds, or an e-cigarette- but never really makes the effort past that first hurdle which is the first three days.

Same boat. My OH smokes and it annoys the hell out of me. I can tolerate the smell when not in small enclosed space, but the fine dust from the ash ...arrggghh ( annoying ex -smoker - check)

Thing is he doesn't really want to quit, every now and again he gets some meds, or an e-cigarette- but never really makes the effort past that first hurdle which is the first three days.

I am hoping my wife will see this through.Since she started smoking again after the pregnancy she has expressed no desire to quit, no matter how much I would wine about it or hint at her quiting.

I have given up on trying to get her to quit, so I was extremely surprised when she broke the news to me today.

Hope you also get a surprise from youre OH soon.

I was a casual smoker, mostly a pipe smoker, with quite an expensive collection of pipes. When the religion became a nagger or a monster (which happens in most cases) I turned to cigarettes for a while and rewarded myself every now and then with a Cohiba or Montecristo or a tin of cigarillos. I could kind of manage my smoking habit. Most of the times pipe smoking was quite enjoyable. I nearly perfected a Clint Eastwood "stare you down" with a cigarillo clenched between his teeth. Who remembers those almost iconic scenes?

6 years ago I was working away on contract with a chain smoking colleague. Until then I was chasing the wind in Jonkershoek like a madman. I was fit (but smoking). I came back, joining up with my regular mtb mates (without cycling for a few months, relying only on pure muscle memory), and as we got closer to Jonkershoek I heard this funny sound. I asked my buddy next to me what the hell makes this suffocating screech! He burst out laughing telling me it was ...., me!! ****!! ME!!?? I told him about my 3 month chain-smoking holiday, when he replied "just go google Allen Carr when back home". 

So I did. That very same evening. I booked my seat on the very next seminar in Cape Town. The presenter (an ex dentist) offers you crap plastic coffee, 5 eat-sum-more biscuits, AND lots of smoke breaks (yeah, bring your smokes with!).

My mind was already made up, even before coming to the seminar.

BIG Bonus was Discovery (back)paid for the Allen Carr seminar, it wasnt cheap. 

I quit smoking for the following reasons:

* Of which the most important was, - I was born healthy, which I have donated in free will to a unhealthy habit. It is not only unhealthy to me, but to every single one keeping company with me. I wanted to reclaim my good health back!

* Intelligent design excluded an exhaust system from my body (unlike those lovely big Oshkosh trucks from years back, and most big and bright yellow toys with monster wheels, billowing black smoke into the air when them engines roar - oh how I love those upright chimneys!!)

* Mr BAT, P Stuyvesant, P. Revere, the CAMELman, Peterson & Kapp, Savenelli, and the whole crew dont give a stinking **** about my health, nor contributing a cent to my medical aid for all the years of loyal investments I have made to them. I just paid for a smoke, and it went up in smoke! 

* It simply vrots! If i really want to vrot, I just go camping up in the desert for a few weeks.

* Kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray! That sucks BIG time. Show me any smoker that loves licking an ashtray!?

* In general smokers are inconsiderate.

I have two pipes left (still with the same black vanilla tobacco of that July day 6 years ago), harmless together in the tobacco tin; - one sentimental, and one just absolute beautiful German design. Once a while I do open the holder for the vanilla aroma to escape, bringing back beautiful memories of many days and nights spent in the Namib.

Next month will be 3 years for me. My wife however has absolutely no interest in quitting and it is annoying as hell. I can't stand the smell on her clothes and its the thing we fight the most about. Just hope she does one day. I fight with her not because of the smell, or money wasting or the temptation for myself but for the fact that i want her to be in good health when i retire so we can enjoy growing old together, but alas no go :cursing:

Next month will be 3 years for me. My wife however has absolutely no interest in quitting and it is annoying as hell. I can't stand the smell on her clothes and its the thing we fight the most about. Just hope she does one day. I fight with her not because of the smell, or money wasting or the temptation for myself but for the fact that i want her to be in good health when i retire so we can enjoy growing old together, but alas no go :cursing:

I was in the same position as your wife.

My better half quit first and nagged me for years to quit, I "quit" and smoked skelm at first then started full steam again. I worked from home and was on a strict diet of strong sweet coffee and cigs (about 40-60 of them a day).

one day she started crying and reminded what the cause of my late dad's bad health was (actually most of the men in my family never reached sixty and they all smoked like chimneys) she said she didn't want to be a young widow.

i quit a few months later using champix, that was 4 years ago (i think), never looked backed, never craved a smoke.

i'm not a grumpy ex-smoker but I refuse to go into a bar (or any enclosed space) where people smoke, hated it even when I still smoked

I feel youre pain. My wife proudly informed me just before she left for work this evening that it has been 24h since she last smoked. [emoji122] Hope she can see this through till the end.

Hope youre missus somehow decides to drop the habbit aswell.

I feel youre pain. My wife proudly informed me just before she left for work this evening that it has been 24h since she last smoked. [emoji122] Hope she can see this through till the end.

Hope youre missus somehow decides to drop the habbit aswell.

Dont know why, but women in general age worse than men, when smoking.

From age 48, their once voluptuous mouths then start to look like a Kommetjiesgat muishond's poepol - just plooie! YUK

Probably a generalization, but I remember reading somewhere it takes roundabout three weeks to break a habit. It is all the worth while. Those first few days are a bit of a panic, but then, suddenly you find yourself being constructive busy without "that thought" crossing your mind. That is when you are getting on top of it,

Vasbyt!

Edited by mtb impi

Just happened onto this for reasons unknown to anyone as I don't smoke. Reason for the comment is this: Give "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg a read. Great book on habits - how they form, how to breed new ones and the challenges around them. Anyway, there's a bit in there about smoking and some other addictions and found the research very interesting. Proper medical research on the brain which led insight into habits.

In short: the nicotine is out of your system in a couple of weeks, it's the HABIT that causes havoc. 

Over and out.

PS. Another great book is The Easy Way to Quit Smoking. Know of a couple of people who put cigs down with the book and never took it up again without any issues.