My wife hates my cycling

W@nna-BE

Make the most fo what you have, whilst you have it. I might not have all the answers, but I definitely do not ride my bike as much as my wife allows me to.

*Tell your wife that your cycling is good for your mental health.

*Try and reduce the impact early morning rises have on her (pack your goed the  night before)

In my personal experience, its about compromise and being considerate.

I try to be home by 10:30 / 11:00 latest on weekend rides to be able to spend time with my family when they're actually awake, and gauge my start time accordingly. Generally this means getting going at 04:00/04:30, so as to not be an inconsiderate jackass I lay out all of my kit in the bathroom the night before so that I can get dressed without waking my wife. This is also a little mental-ninja for me as on the occasion I wake up and am not lus I know I already went through the effort to get my kit ready, might as well get up. Its also the quietest time on the roads and trails.

It also allows me to get home stuff done and help with the kiddos the rest of the weekend. Everybody wins with that small time compromise.

It surprises me how many guys think I'm "forced" to do these things. Why the hell did you get married and have a family if you don't want to spend time with them? The best time to do this is on a weekend as everyone's at home and happy.

That's why it baffles me when guys don't get it that I don't want to ride to some coffee shop and have brunch with a bunch of semi-rando's for 45min before riding home. Or they just don't want to wake up early so rather spend an entire waking day at a trail having a dawdle and a chat.

I happily married to a strong, independent woman that don't take no crap, and yet we've had minimal to no ructions about cycling and its related time and expenses.

Maybe I'm just lucky and/or antisocial? 

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

snip 

*Tell your wife that your cycling is good for your mental health.

mine agrees with this...it takes the edge off so she gives me that time to leave it all out on the road/trails...and i do use it as self reflection time, why i have zero issues riding on my own for hours. When i get moerig she sommer tells me to go ride my bike :lol:

I try to be home by 10:30 / 11:00 latest on weekend rides to be able to spend time with my family when they're actually awake, and gauge my start time accordingly. Generally this means getting going at 04:00/04:30, so as to not be an inconsiderate jackass I lay out all of my kit in the bathroom the night before so that I can get dressed without waking my wife. This is also a little mental-ninja for me as on the occasion I wake up and am not lus I know I already went through the effort to get my kit ready, might as well get up. Its also the quietest time on the roads and trails.

It also allows me to get home stuff done and help with the kiddos the rest of the weekend. Everybody wins with that small time compromise.

It surprises me how many guys think I'm "forced" to do these things. Why the hell did you get married and have a family if you don't want to spend time with them? The best time to do this is on a weekend as everyone's at home and happy.

That's why it baffles me when guys don't get it that I don't want to ride to some coffee shop and have brunch with a bunch of semi-rando's for 45min before riding home. Or they just don't want to wake up early so rather spend an entire waking day at a trail having a dawdle and a chat.

I happily married to a strong, independent woman that don't take no crap, and yet we've had minimal to no ructions about cycling and its related time and expenses.

When I read this it was as if I wrote it, I have the same philosophy as you.

I have relatively young kids, 4 and 8 years old. Sometimes after a long ride I need to take the 8 year old for a ride in the reserve close to us, or play cricket, all that jazz. I can’t skimp on this, not because my wife will get angry, but because being a bit tired is no excuse.

I also limit big events that require a large amount of training to max one a year, and I don’t do long stage races. I don’t like being away from the family for long.

But hey I get to ride every Saturday and Sunday, so I consider myself to be lucky and I don’t want to wreck a good situation.

100% agreed, though I can't wait for the day when lightie comes along for the dawdles.... 

Sherbet, I am not even married yet or in a serious relationship and now you guys are scaring me.

That being said I already irritate the living daylights out of my parents with my cycling, even though I do it early in the morning before anybody gets up. It's only on weekends where I ride a bit longer but I am usually back home by 10. And then from there we still go and put in a full day's work and the house I am renovating. I ride 8 to 12 hours per week as my work obligations don't really allow for more.

I understand one has to be considerate to others but I think a lot of people just don't get why we do it.

100% agreed, though I can't wait for the day when lightie comes along for the dawdles.... 

I'm also chomping at the bit for that. Daugther's only 4 so still working up to it but seems to have radness bred into her (don't know from where). She tried to ramp a driveway kerb the other day by just going full pelt and smashing into it. Unfortunately misjudged it and ended up ramming into the pavement kerb.

Bail, scraped knee and tears obviously ensued (as expected), but what I didn't expect was that she got back on her bike while still sobbing quite vigorously and kept on riding, stukkend knee and all, without me prompting her. I nearly shed a tear out of pride!

She maybe inherited my lack of balance and general coordination, but it seems she got some toughness along with it (I'm hoping that's also from me).

Edited by TyronLab

I'm also chomping at the bit for that. Daugther's only 4 so still working up to it but seems to have radness bred into her (don't know from where). She tried to ramp a driveway kerb the other day by just going full pelt and smashing into it. Unfortunately misjudged it and ended up ramming into the pavement kerb.

Bail, scraped knee and tears obviously ensued (as expected), but what I didn't expect was that she got back on her bike while still sobbing quite vigorously and kept on riding, stukkend knee and all, without me prompting her. I nearly shed a tear out of pride!

She maybe inherited my lack of balance and general coordination, but it seems she got some toughness along with it (I'm hoping that's also from me).

I'm rather proud of my little 5 year old daughter too.

3 weeks ago, rode for the first time without training wheels.

2 weeks ago, stops, starts and rides on her own, so we went for a ride around the neighborhood together.

last weekend, spent the weekend with my folks, hits the single track through the veld near my folks with her older sister and cousins.

This right here ,is my winning recipe also.. 

You delusional potato. That is not how it was at all. Shortly after I posted this everything went for a ball of **** and I divorced her in 2013.

Bought my wife an e-bike.....both having lots of fun!

With hindsight divorce might have been cheaper...

Same until i bought her a bike. Bike for the Mrs plus Stay in domestic = win win  :thumbup:

Cool - advice taken.

She's got the bike - enjoys looking at it more than riding it.

Next step: Live-in domestic... or a ring? I'm stuck here

There’s a wonderfully crafted first  post beaut , on a random 8 year old thread , about wild boars in the night , and ous just carry on the conversation where it left off . 

There’s a wonderfully crafted first  post beaut , on a random 8 year old thread , about wild boars in the night , and ous just carry on the conversation where it left off . 

I KNOW! Are we not going to talk about the wild boars? Where is this guy living that boars are so problematic? 

Also, if you were riding at 52kph and "a boar hit you", then actually you hit the boar. No disrespect meant, it sounds like it was a serious injury. 

I KNOW! Are we not going to talk about the wild boars? Where is this guy living that boars are so problematic? 

Also, if you were riding at 52kph and "a boar hit you", then actually you hit the boar. No disrespect meant, it sounds like it was a serious injury. 

Correct . Do boars bite ? 

My wife wasn't too keen on me spending so much time on the bike when I was doing it mainly for myself. Training for stage races and things like that, took a lot of family time. Somehow I managed to keep enough of a balance, but once my sons were old enough to ride with me, she actively started encouraging it. I think she enjoyed the time it gave her to escape the "boys" and do "girl" stuff. She also saw the value in it for the boys. Now she only worries about crashes and injuries........I have given her enough reason to worry :blush:

My wife wasn't too keen on me spending so much time on the bike when I was doing it mainly for myself. Training for stage races and things like that, took a lot of family time. Somehow I managed to keep enough of a balance, but once my sons were old enough to ride with me, she actively started encouraging it. I think she enjoyed the time it gave her to escape the "boys" and do "girl" stuff. She also saw the value in it for the boys. Now she only worries about crashes and injuries........I have given her enough reason to worry :blush:

For sure, she would not want the bikes damaged.

Correct . Do boars bite ? 

Can't say for sure. Apart from being accosted by a bushpig at a camp site in St Lucia, my knowledge of the hog family is limited.