Beware of CB 68 GK GP

argie1

Our usual Saturday morning jaunt down Lynnwood road seems to bring the "best" out in some drivers. In the 35 years I ahve been perched on my saddle, :thumbup: only having being knocked off my perch once, this one tops them all.

Please be aware of the Land Rover Discovery 3 or 4, light greenish colour from the East side of Pretoria who cannot drive like 99% of the other motorists and negotiate their way past a group of cyclists. Now we all know that cyclists legally must ride in single file and one day I'd like to arrange a massive group doing just that so see how motorists react, but thats for another day.

So you hear this hooter, not a polite warning but the constant blare. I'm at the back and see this Landy, next second it's on the gravel verge overaking us on the left only to push into the group about halfway. So I sprint past and slow down forcing her to either hit me or stop. :eek:

We exchange verbals, she has a baby behind the driver and a 4 or 5 year old right in the back. She could have thrown this thing over on the gravel.

Anyway, she told me in no uncertain terms how wrong we were and that she had not broken any laws and she believes it. :cursing:

At the Boschkop SAPS they told me that as no one was injured and nothing damaged, the prosecutor would just throw the docket out. I mean really, W T F ???

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the Boschkop SAPS they told me that as no one was injured and nothing damaged, the prosecutor would just throw the docket out. I mean really, W T F ???

LOL an indication of the current state of the judicial system, not funny actualy...

Sorry for the hijack below...But your incident made me think of this story that i read about in the papers yesterday, and LOL ja this could only happen in switzerland...

Background story:

Just to put this into context, its pretty common and fairly impossible to ride offroad anywhere in switzerland without riding on some farmers land, as a lot of hiking and bike trails go over farm land.

A farmer and his son get involved in a heated debate with 2 mountain bikers (aged 38 and 40), they were riding on his property and he wanted them to leave, to encourage them to leave he fired a shot in their direction. Needless to say they left quickly.. and reported the incident to the local police…

Now this is the LOL :eek: part…The police PHONED the farmer and ordered him to report to the police station…

He refused, so they went out to his place and after some resistance from the farmer and his son they were both detained overnight. A search of the property revealed a 12 gauge hunting rifle with ammunition

Apparently the 2 mountain bikers have filed a law suit against the farmer.

http://translate.goo...ved=0CC0Q7gEwAA

Edited by SwissVan

That is scary!! I am so going to go ahead and plan the peak traffic ride. Have a route, just need a date that doesnt clash with critical mass and a date when we all have money for dinner after.

Motorists need to learn that we also have a right to the road.

Mini hijack - if I organise this, would you guys prefer it casual as in we swarm traffic or do we do it 100% legal and ride single file? (single file idea is from this thread)

Picture this: 100 or more cyclists riding down Sandton Drive whilst cars are hardly moving. Version 1: motorists are shocked at the swarm of cyclists coming past on both sides. Version 2: motorists see a quick blur as a line of 100+ cyclists go past. Personally think the swarming will get more attention.

Great way to really improve relations between bikers and drivers! I am sure that after creating a lot of frustration the response from drivers will be

"OMG why didnt i think about that nice cyclist, thay are such nice people, please can i be just like them"

That is scary!! I am so going to go ahead and plan the peak traffic ride. Have a route, just need a date that doesnt clash with critical mass and a date when we all have money for dinner after.

Motorists need to learn that we also have a right to the road.

Mini hijack - if I organise this, would you guys prefer it casual as in we swarm traffic or do we do it 100% legal and ride single file? (single file idea is from this thread)

Picture this: 100 or more cyclists riding down Sandton Drive whilst cars are hardly moving. Version 1: motorists are shocked at the swarm of cyclists coming past on both sides. Version 2: motorists see a quick blur as a line of 100+ cyclists go past. Personally think the swarming will get more attention.

Well, this is a sort of Critical Mass idea, isn't it? There's also the "Ride of Silence" - I think we've only had 1 or 2 in CT - where everyone rides single file, obeys every traffic law, and doesn't say anything - it's in respect of all cyclists who have died on the road.

Boschkop SAPS is not, in my experience, a cyclist-friendly police station. Some years ago they threatened to arrest the whole bunch of us for cycling in a double row (big bunch with the club van behind us) because "our station commander told us to".

Our usual Saturday morning jaunt down Lynnwood road seems to bring the "best" out in some drivers. In the 35 years I ahve been perched on my saddle, :thumbup: only having being knocked off my perch once, this one tops them all.

Please be aware of the Land Rover Discovery 3 or 4, light greenish colour from the East side of Pretoria who cannot drive like 99% of the other motorists and negotiate their way past a group of cyclists. Now we all know that cyclists legally must ride in single file and one day I'd like to arrange a massive group doing just that so see how motorists react, but thats for another day.

So you hear this hooter, not a polite warning but the constant blare. I'm at the back and see this Landy, next second it's on the gravel verge overaking us on the left only to push into the group about halfway. So I sprint past and slow down forcing her to either hit me or stop. :eek:

We exchange verbals, she has a baby behind the driver and a 4 or 5 year old right in the back. She could have thrown this thing over on the gravel.

Anyway, she told me in no uncertain terms how wrong we were and that she had not broken any laws and she believes it. :cursing:

If I remember correctly, Lynnwood does not have a shoulder lane after Hans Strijdom? So why did you ride there? Did you expect everyone to just accept that cyclicts that ride at maybe 30km/h, will be fun to watch?

Why do you get mad when a vehicle drives behind you and starts hooting for you to get out of the way? If you are in the lane where cars drive then you are in the wrong. If you are in single file on the shoulder of the road then there won't be any problems. But nooooo you cyclists have to ride abreast so you can talk to your buddy annoying the cars behind you. And when someone loses their temper because of this you run to the cops... I don't care how macho you think you are, one day someone with a Taxi/SUV/car/Truck will drive over one of you because you had a stupid f. you attitude. It seems you don't get the whole physics thing. Car = 1500kg. Bicycle = ~10kg. Car is made of steel. Cyclist wears a helmet made of polystyrene. Cyclist is made of poo. Car drives over cyclist, poo comes out, poo everywhere, car ok, cyclist is out of poo and cannot be put back together... I hope you get the idea

Now you are going to say that you have nowhere to ride, If you use google maps, I am sure you would be able to find a safer road to travel on that maybe has a shoulder.

I was traveling South on Hans Strijdom drive the other day (going up the long hill past Garsfontein) and a couple guys on bikes (will full riding gear looking all professional) were riding abreast on the shoulder. 2 guys were constantly going into the traffic lane. I, had to swerve out the way to not hit him. Luckily I managed to squeeze between 2 cars on my right, otherwise I would have hit him. Obviously I hooted, this guy just flipped me the bird.

So my attitude towards cyclists have changed completely and the next time one of you are in front of me I will casually go around you when I have the opening, open my sunroof and proceed to empty my can of pepperspray in your general direction. At least then you won't be able to annoy people on the road

Seriously though, use your head when you are on the road. It does not matter if you think you are not doing anything wrong, DON'T DRIVE IN THE TRAFFIC LANE its might just turn out to be unhealthy.

If I remember correctly, Lynnwood does not have a shoulder lane after Hans Strijdom? So why did you ride there? Did you expect everyone to just accept that cyclicts that ride at maybe 30km/h, will be fun to watch?

Why do you get mad when a vehicle drives behind you and starts hooting for you to get out of the way? If you are in the lane where cars drive then you are in the wrong. If you are in single file on the shoulder of the road then there won't be any problems. But nooooo you cyclists have to ride abreast so you can talk to your buddy annoying the cars behind you. And when someone loses their temper because of this you run to the cops... I don't care how macho you think you are, one day someone with a Taxi/SUV/car/Truck will drive over one of you because you had a stupid f. you attitude. It seems you don't get the whole physics thing. Car = 1500kg. Bicycle = ~10kg. Car is made of steel. Cyclist wears a helmet made of polystyrene. Cyclist is made of poo. Car drives over cyclist, poo comes out, poo everywhere, car ok, cyclist is out of poo and cannot be put back together... I hope you get the idea

Now you are going to say that you have nowhere to ride, If you use google maps, I am sure you would be able to find a safer road to travel on that maybe has a shoulder.

I was traveling South on Hans Strijdom drive the other day (going up the long hill past Garsfontein) and a couple guys on bikes (will full riding gear looking all professional) were riding abreast on the shoulder. 2 guys were constantly going into the traffic lane. I, had to swerve out the way to not hit him. Luckily I managed to squeeze between 2 cars on my right, otherwise I would have hit him. Obviously I hooted, this guy just flipped me the bird.

So my attitude towards cyclists have changed completely and the next time one of you are in front of me I will casually go around you when I have the opening, open my sunroof and proceed to empty my can of pepperspray in your general direction. At least then you won't be able to annoy people on the road

Seriously though, use your head when you are on the road. It does not matter if you think you are not doing anything wrong, DON'T DRIVE IN THE TRAFFIC LANE its might just turn out to be unhealthy.

TJOP!!!