Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

so according to the spam email from Olympic Cycles, you can now get this in SA 

Karl Ebel has been bringing them in for a year now.  

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Karl Ebel has been bringing them in for a year now.  

Ja, just going by the sales pitch on the email where they say "Intense is now available in SA"

Glad we agree pricing has nothing to do with it then since they both have the exact price range.

That is correct.

For me, its always nice to know in advance about the bikes I won't be able to afford anyways. 

That comment cracked me up. Hell, I have a spare kidney I am sure I can part with to afford it. 

That comment cracked me up. Hell, I have a spare kidney I am sure I can part with to afford it. 

You won't make enough out of a kidney to afford one.

I am digging the new Genius, this one is hella hot!

p5pb14885402.jpg

pb-small.png A complete contrast to the bright mint/orange color combo of some models in Scott's new Genius platform, this Genius 700 Ultimate in the Stealth option is packed with the best parts money can buy creating a weight of 11.7 kg (25.8 lb).

Bionicon

p5pb14885411.jpg
pb-small.png The Bionicon Evo has been on the market since 2016. For 2018 it grows 20mm in reach with a 10mm shorter seat tube and added clearance for 2.6" tires, while it will only be available in 27.5", with no more 26" diameter option.

p5pb14885414.jpg
pb-small.png The Bionicon system is mated to an X-Fusion rear shock and fork, allowing to riders to change the geometry and travel front and rear. You can choose between a version with 160 or 180mm of travel.

p5pb14885417.jpg
pb-small.png A custom push button activates the system, lowering the front end by 80mm, resulting in 5 degrees of head and seat angle change while stiffening the rear end by extending the rear linkage.

Merida

p5pb14889220.jpg
pb-small.png Trying to not forget about people not driving to work in a Porsche, Merida is introducing the One-Sixty platform with an aluminum chassis. With the same geometry as its carbon sister (65.3 degree head angle, 445 mm reach size M) it also features the same bells and whistles in the form of Boost hub spacing, ISCG mounts and a floating rear shock layout at a starting price for the line of only around 2,600 Euros.

p5pb14889222.jpg
pb-small.png The 160 mm travel bike is equipped with a trunnion mount shock for more standover clearance and features a 170 mm travel fork up front.

p5pb14889223.jpg
pb-small.png The One-Sixty 600 uses the same aluminum rear end as the version with a carbon front triangle.

Merida

p5pb14889220.jpg
pb-small.png Trying to not forget about people not driving to work in a Porsche, Merida is introducing the One-Sixty platform with an aluminum chassis. With the same geometry as its carbon sister (65.3 degree head angle, 445 mm reach size M) it also features the same bells and whistles in the form of Boost hub spacing, ISCG mounts and a floating rear shock layout at a starting price for the line of only around 2,600 Euros.

This is very nice. Not the biggest Merida fan but this might change my perception all together!

Bionicon

pb-small.png The Bionicon system is mated to an X-Fusion rear shock and fork, allowing to riders to change the geometry and travel front and rear. You can choose between a version with 160 or 180mm of travel.

p5pb14885417.jpg
pb-small.png A custom push button activates the system, lowering the front end by 80mm, resulting in 5 degrees of head and seat angle change while stiffening the rear end by extending the rear linkage.

Digging these vibes as well. Think theres still a market for guys in the Trail segment wanting a bike that climbs well and dropping the front end will always score well here. There seemed to be a time when everyone was doing dual position/U-turn/ travel adjust on forks but with the introduction of Enduro it seems to be more acceptable to have to climb in that position?

Locking it out doesn't do much apart from ease the bobbing when climbing out the saddle, but lowering the front end has a way bigger effect. Unless you really don't mind the uncomfortable position or walk the climbs anyway.

I can imagine it complicates things and while the focus on actual suspension performance has never been bigger the guys are perhaps focused on this, not gimmicks to drop the front end.