Demise of XCO in SA

NicoBoshoff

Read an insightful (and in my opinion, sensible) piece in the latest Full Suss mag regarding the demise of XCO in SA.

Basically it boils down to XCM events exploding (because sponsors push there for max exposure) and as a result a downturn in the amount of quality XCO events other than the provincial and national ones.

Really sad.

We're cultivating a mass of riders with little, if any, technical ability.

You can see it in the average trail out there (not that I'm complaining - it's fun having the proper trails to ourselves).

Hopefully the Spur Series will turn a corner for SA's XCO future.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon most marathon events cater for recreational riders, looking for a journey out there and back.Yes "A" batch is competitive but for most finishing in one piece is a win.

XCO is a different type of racing / riding, really for racing snakes, and not that much fun for your average mtb rider. Good to watch though (in terms of the UCI events) but will never be big.

I reckon most marathon events cater for recreational riders, looking for a journey out there and back.Yes "A" batch is competitive but for most finishing in one piece is a win.

XCO is a different type of racing / riding, really for racing snakes, and not that much fun for your average mtb rider. Good to watch though (in terms of the UCI events) but will never be big.

Fair enough, but I think the point of concern is more to do with why in SA we suck so terribly at XCO. So although XCO has it's restricted appeal, why do Saffas then either a) suck harder at it than everyone else or b) prefer marathons so much more compared to other countries?

XCO's restrictions are global, yet here it translates to poor performances. Why?

there is no real grass roots stuff for xco or downhill. I made a goal this year to try and assist with the development of a junior downhill series....

as for xco..the school series is growing year on year here in KZN, so I think that is a good thing

What you are saying is very valid but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have been actively involved in promoting ( successfully ) a XC marathon option with all the XCO elements on single track cross country routes. We have had an excellent response and have found that the overwhelming majority of mtbikers have a very keen appetite for this format. The new guys are a little shocked to start but soon learn the necessary skills and then become avid mtbikers.

there is no real grass roots stuff for xco or downhill. I made a goal this year to try and assist with the development of a junior downhill series....

as for xco..the school series is growing year on year here in KZN, so I think that is a good thing

Yes it is a great thing. As more schools start to participate in XCO, the grassroots support will grow!

We're cultivating a mass of riders with little, if any, technical ability.

You can see it in the average trail out there (not that I'm complaining - it's fun having the proper trails to ourselves).

That makes me think of what a colleague, an absolute novice, told me when she got back from riding a relatively casual single track event down in Sedgefield this Christmas. She overheard a couple of people who were walking through switchbacks moaning that "this isn't mountain biking!"

Edited by Rata Del Spruit

What you are saying is very valid but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have been actively involved in promoting ( successfully ) a XC marathon option with all the XCO elements on single track cross country routes. We have had an excellent response and have found that the overwhelming majority of mtbikers have a very keen appetite for this format. The new guys are a little shocked to start but soon learn the necessary skills and then become avid mtbikers.

Its great to hear that there is someone out there actively working on trying to improve the situation...but what is a XC Marathon with XCO elements? They 2 are very different disciplines. Thats like saying you have 100m sprints in a 42km marathon.

XCO is not just about singletrack. Its a totally different type of fitness, skill set and race strategy.

I am not trying to say you not doing good (hell...you doing more than others!) but am interested in the concept.

Edited by Griffin

That makes me think of what a colleague, an absolute novice, told me when she got back from riding a relatively casual single track event down in Sedgefield this Christmas. She overheard a couple of people who were walking through berms moaning that "this isn't mountain biking!"

Sad really. It is these exact people who refuse to up skill themselves and then dumb down trails by cutting corners, moving rocks and breaking down little jumps on the trails.

A large number of riders have successfully dumbed themselves and the sport down to dirt roads thinking it's mountain biking. It isn't.

Each to his own though. As long as you enjoy what you do and don't ruin it for the rest then it's all good.

I wouldn't say that the situation in SA is totally hopeless. In KZN there is a very well managed, attended and supported Provincial XCO Series and a Prov XCO Championship. Both are proper XCO lap race events with the technical standard applicable to age groups. Neither the Series nor the Champs have qualification requirements and are open to any rider who would like to give it a go.

Amongst the folk I have ridden with, they want the tar road experience, except it must not be on tar. They want beauty, without technical because they want to get fit and achieve something. This seems to be the largest market, simply because that is the way things are focused. Schools level seems to be a good place to start the XCO, but even then, surely the numbers will be limited. More folk will always ride the more marathon type rides?

Kosmonooit sums it up perfectly.

Marathon offers more bang for your avg guy ito fun vs effort(training, tech abilities and kit required). It just is what it is.

It also helps that most terrain in SA is ideal for marathons

Edited by rouxtjie

Kosmonooit sums it up perfectly.

Marathon offers more bang for your avg guy ito fun vs effort(training, tech abilities and kit required). It just is what it is.

It also helps that most terrain in SA is ideal for marathons

Don't know about you (actually, I know you share my sentiment but you know what I mean) but I ascribe "fun" to blasting down a technical section barely holding on far more than miles and miles of jeep track boredom.

Maybe it comes down to education? XCO is not Marathon. Marathon is not XCO. Enduro is not DH...etc etc etc

MTBiking has grown immensely and whilst that is really good or the sport as a whole it has also created some confusion. The disciples have become mixed and cross over is inevitable