World hour record

Shebeen

Obviously he is on an outdoor track so any headwind/tailwind + Crosswind will affect him, it being bumpy also is an energy-sapper.

Although the power numbers may not be mind blowingly high, keep in mind that he would need to sustain those numbers for the hour - so maybe he had some left in the tank? I don't know - maybe he was absolutely spent....try and maintain 250 watts for an hour solid....

Wiggins had a huge support team - access to the best aero testing, power testing and the like - plus he had a bike custom built (as did Jens) so all those marginal gains add up to a big gain...

If I look at what Jean Spies has gone through to start being competitive on the track in world cups it is massive - and he is still a couple of clicks off...to the point where the aerodynamics of his shoes and socks gets looked at in fine detail, the lubrication on his chain and bearings.

So for Gert to pull of his effort took some doing and I think the record will stand for a while yet as I don't believe we currently have enough people hungry to chase it.... 

I was there on the day, and I think the power is a Strava best guess. Gert will have to average over 350w to maintain that speed. Anyone that knows anything about power will agree. The only way you can average 250W for that speed is to be 5 foot tall weigh 60kg, and  be super aero, of which Gert is neither.

Gert is just plain a monster on the bike. He was riding at my pursuit speed for some of the ride. An effort I manage once and need 2 days to recover from.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 250 W Strava figure was not accurate.

Here is a website that computes it for you:

https://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html

Assumptions for Hector Norris and Gert:

• Frontal Area of TT position: 0.32
  • Gert + Bike: 80 kg
  • Drag coefficient: 0.7
  • Air Density: 1.225 kg/m3
  • Track Surface: 0.008 - 0.012

Realistically, he pushed about 370 W an entire hour.

Someone would need about 425 W output to break the 50 km mark.

I was there on the day, and I think the power is a Strava best guess. Gert will have to average over 350w to maintain that speed. Anyone that knows anything about power will agree. The only way you can average 250W for that speed is to be 5 foot tall weigh 60kg, and  be super aero, of which Gert is neither.

Gert is just plain a monster on the bike. He was riding at my pursuit speed for some of the ride. An effort I manage once and need 2 days to recover from.

the flying scotsman has spoken!!!

SA record is good enough to impress me anyday of the week

Hi Guys, thank you for all the kind words.

Where to start. I started riding track on Hector Norris in 2015. Enjoyed it so much that I just kept working on it. Really love riding the track.

This year I was riding elites and had the privilege to go to Common Wealth Games. As a result I couldn't go and ride the Master Worlds, I was barred from going because I had UCI points.

So I had to set myself a new challenge. I decided with all my endurance training and no other racing plans Id pursue this endeavor. There was something about the hour that always intrigued me. I spent a lot of time on the TT bike and doing specific intervals on the track. Sitting in that position for long was a challenge.

The hour is one of the more technical efforts, everything has to be right, so many things make a big difference. On the track aero is everything. So yes air density plays a huge role, your position and equipment.

I didnt have much support, at all. Most sessions was done alone. All funding was by myself. Luckily I have a real job. 

Once I decided to go ahead and give it a go Martin van Wyk helped me to arrange the officials, Im so grateful for their time and effort without them I couldn't have made it official. 

The effort itself was less painful than I prepared myself for. I knew was going to fight with myself for the last 15 minutes. As for the bumps, I can compare it to riding corrugations, at first it feels fine, no issues at all, after 30min in TT position it starts hurting, lets just say I was chaffed badly afterwards, broken skin. The track seemed to get bumpier and bumpier. It isn't a slow track by any means and it being longer also makes it easier. It isn't ideal unfortunately. It doesn't compare with indoor wooden velodromes. That is a whole different ball game.

Luckily the effort worked out well and I managed a decent speed. As for power, yes Im not sure what went on there. I did a lot of testing regarding my gearing, speed and power to make sure I go out at a sustainable speed. The  power reading isn't correct. But Ill add, all power isn't equal. Its not the same as going out on the road, riding a climb or anything else I've done.

This was my first full effort, I have some ideas and there are a few things a can improve. I really didn't know what to expect.

To the guys comparing me to Wiggins, Ill take that as a massive compliment hahaha, but you really cant. I'm not in that league or anywhere close for that matter

Yes, there a many SA guys that can and will go much quicker! I look forward to seeing what is possible! A good friend of mine always says: "records are made to be broken".

Cheers

Gert

Where to start. I started riding track on Hector Norris in 2015. Enjoyed it so much that I just kept working on it. Really love riding the track.

This year I was riding elites and had the privilege to go to Common Wealth Games. As a result I couldn't go and ride the Master Worlds, I was barred from going because I had UCI points.

So I had to set myself a new challenge. I decided with all my endurance training and no other racing plans Id pursue this endeavor. There was something about the hour that always intrigued me. I spent a lot of time on the TT bike and doing specific intervals on the track. Sitting in that position for long was a challenge.

The hour is one of the more technical efforts, everything has to be right, so many things make a big difference. On the track aero is everything. So yes air density plays a huge role, your position and equipment.

I didnt have much support, at all. Most sessions was done alone. All funding was by myself. Luckily I have a real job. 

Once I decided to go ahead and give it a go Martin van Wyk helped me to arrange the officials, Im so grateful for their time and effort without them I couldn't have made it official. 

The effort itself was less painful than I prepared myself for. I knew was going to fight with myself for the last 15 minutes. As for the bumps, I can compare it to riding corrugations, at first it feels fine, no issues at all, after 30min in TT position it starts hurting, lets just say I was chaffed badly afterwards, broken skin. The track seemed to get bumpier and bumpier. It isn't a slow track by any means and it being longer also makes it easier. It isn't ideal unfortunately. It doesn't compare with indoor wooden velodromes. That is a whole different ball game.

Luckily the effort worked out well and I managed a decent speed. As for power, yes Im not sure what went on there. I did a lot of testing regarding my gearing, speed and power to make sure I go out at a sustainable speed. The  power reading isn't correct. But Ill add, all power isn't equal. Its not the same as going out on the road, riding a climb or anything else I've done.

This was my first full effort, I have some ideas and there are a few things a can improve. I really didn't know what to expect.

To the guys comparing me to Wiggins, Ill take that as a massive compliment hahaha, but you really cant. I'm not in that league or anywhere close for that matter

Yes, there a many SA guys that can and will go much quicker! I look forward to seeing what is possible! A good friend of mine always says: "records are made to be broken".

Cheers

Gert

What a gentleman!

good luck with the next one

Cheers

Gert

Lekker Gertjie.

Flapping around gasping for air behind your fat ass this morning on the tandem made me realise how much I still need to train to be able to stick with you guys on a normal club ride.   :blush:  :whistling:  :P

Well done on the hour.   :thumbup:

I echo the gentleman sentiment, with a capital G, a really serious cyclist, someone who is absolutely passionate about getting the best out of this amazing invention of the bicycle.

I must disagree that the comparison with Wiggo is a compliment, more like the other way around!

Thanks Gert for the inside info, that is the side that a lot of people may not take into account - the endless hours of preparation and testing to make sure the attempt is successful!

well done again and now you have me thinking of perhaps one day making an attempt myself...

I echo the gentleman sentiment, with a capital G, a really serious cyclist, someone who is absolutely passionate about getting the best out of this amazing invention of the bicycle.

I must disagree that the comparison with Wiggo is a compliment, more like the other way around!

I did a 2 man time trial with Gert years ago. I never saw the front, and we still won by a mile. He is a beast.

........... ..............be 5 foot tall weigh 60kg,................

There you went and burst my own 1 hour dreams.  :D  ;) 

Lekker Gertjie.

Flapping around gasping for air behind your fat ass this morning on the tandem made me realise how much I still need to train to be able to stick with you guys on a normal club ride.   :blush:  :whistling:  :P

Well done on the hour.   :thumbup:

True story, not sure if its worse arriving on a Tuesday morning to see Gert on the tandem or on the TT bike..?! Just know there will be pain involved...

Well done Gert

• 2 months later...

I started watching that.

Then they started getting all sciencey.

I realised wiggo's current record would need to be improved by 10% to break 60km.

They've picked all the low hanging fruit, it ain't going to happen on this planet.

there's a relationship between altitude and performance for athletics too.

but only for short sprints. anything over about 400m and the lack of oxygen affects the ability to breathe well. For cycling the speed is so much higher that the lack of drag is probably larger than the lack of oxygen.

ie. the mexico city olympics had some legacy records (Bob beamon's long jump was one of them), and I think they're no longer ratified above a certain height - same way as following wind is measured too.

Interestingly Beamon's Olympic record is the only one still standing as an Olympic record. And it was superseded as a world record by a jump at sea level in 1991, but it's still #2 on the longest jumps ever. There are some great images of that jump on the web...

• 3 months later...