Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

Marko the post is an over generalization making out that most riders would be rogue riders just given the smallest opportunity whereas it would be only a very small number that would ride where they are not supposed to ride. Most riders are responsible riders. Jonkers and Tokai would have been spaghetti by now if there were so many riders doing what they should not.

Edited by porqui

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marko the post is an over generalization making out that most riders would be rogue riders just given the smallest opportunity whereas it would be only a very small number that would ride where they are not supposed to ride. Most riders are responsible riders. Jonkers and Tokai would have been spaghetti by now if there were so many riders doing what they should not.

his post didn't once mention 'most', and thus is not a generalisation. As you well know, it only takes the few to muck it up for the most. same old story. round and round we go. quibbly about days gone by.

ai. can this damn place open already.

Yes, but have you seen how much growth there is up there now?

I understand that reasoning, but it's just not as valid as it was a few months ago.

Please explain your reasoning

Please explain your reasoning

It's not my reasoning, it's the reason given by San Parks - more vegetation next to the roads (because that's where the fire department were able to keep the flames at bay) and therefore that's where the animals are seeking refuge. If people are allowed in then the animals will be frightened away into a potentially dangerous area.

That did (slightly) make sense, but there's a lot of vegetation about now, so the reasoning is not as valid.

All it takes is 1.. then he shows his friend, then they show 2 more friends...

As the law abiding folk go on about their business there will always be those who know better. B52 in Tokai, the horse trails which turned into fashionable #ENDURO trails which popped out at the end of Fairy Garden and many more were unsanctioned, uncontrolled trails which were built in unsolicited areas of the forest...

If the same folk go back they will not be content to do a loop of jeep track around the dam, no. They will as history shows find new unsanctioned places to throw a hoe..

I am certainly not generalizing nor am I pointing fingers at what I would call the general law abiding riding public.

But unfortunately all it takes is one to get the ball rolling and then we will have a big fight on our hands as to whether we will ever be allowed back, never mind when

It's not my reasoning, it's the reason given by San Parks - more vegetation next to the roads (because that's where the fire department were able to keep the flames at bay) and therefore that's where the animals are seeking refuge. If people are allowed in then the animals will be frightened away into a potentially dangerous area.

That did (slightly) make sense, but there's a lot of vegetation about now, so the reasoning is not as valid.

Silvermine's reopening is expected at the end of this month. Panties back in handbags.

Silvermine's reopening is expected at the end of this month. Panties back in handbags.

Yay!

Hopefully I'll be able to shed my winter roundness soon....

All it takes is 1.. then he shows his friend, then they show 2 more friends...

As the law abiding folk go on about their business there will always be those who know better. B52 in Tokai, the horse trails which turned into fashionable #ENDURO trails which popped out at the end of Fairy Garden and many more were unsanctioned, uncontrolled trails which were built in unsolicited areas of the forest...

If the same folk go back they will not be content to do a loop of jeep track around the dam, no. They will as history shows find new unsanctioned places to throw a hoe..

I am certainly not generalizing nor am I pointing fingers at what I would call the general law abiding riding public.

But unfortunately all it takes is one to get the ball rolling and then we will have a big fight on our hands as to whether we will ever be allowed back, never mind when

There are some who refuse to believe this or accept it as a point for the unwillingness to get behind the ideas we had for any expansion. Basically, we could not be trusted to keep off the horse trails after making promises that an expanded DH trail, one that completes the trail from the top, is all the guys were looking for. Within weeks the trail Renaissance Man and I had closed without the help of those making the promises was reopened and despite several efforts from both Parks and the mountain bike community, it remained open and festered in the mind of the new section manager who felt betrayed for committing to us - in good faith.

Hands up those who on a daily basis had to contend with the constant nag for more trails, and on the flip side the nag to live up to the promises that "won" 3 new sections of a trail running through restored fynbos.

Simple fact, the 10 percent killed it for the 90.

Edited by (Deon)
SP

my dogs are going to be so happy.

Great news that.

Great news, sad to say it might end up looking like peak hour traffic though.

Hopefully Tokai wont take much longer to alleviate the stress on Silvermine

How official is this? From SANP or speculation?

There wont only be many happy cyclist around, but also so many ecstatic triathletes.

Ha ha, if you swim there with the current water temperature of the dam, you have bigger problems than being a triathlete :-) Just kidding!