Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

Fortunately i too have had mostly good dealings , knock on wood.

The idiots for me are those that repeatedly ask the questions that are fully answered by the advert they responding too... mmmm... 

As far as the dibs thing goes, I totally respect it as long as it goes with proper communication and commitment. I do the same with a person I Buy from. It's Common Sense. (Seems that common sense is not so common anymore :whistling: ).

I'm rather keen to rate or at least comment on profiles of persons who waist my time : saying they coming to see me and then just vanish ... Hint , Hint !!! (Really not cool)

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is obvious you don't lurk in the underwear departments.  Escapee  is another story....

I think 'lurk' creates entirely the wrong impression of my educational visits to that part of Woolies.  :whistling:

Nope. As soon as you accepted the initial offer, despite the reduced purchase price and the other buyer offering you more, you have entered into a verbal contract of sale and as such you are being highly unethical by selling to buyer 2.

The correct way to do it would be to say to buyer 1 that he has until x time to transfer the deposit, and if the funds are not transferred by that time then the sale agreement is rendered bull and void. In the meantime you tell buyer 2 that you have a buyer at the moment but if the deposit has not reached you by x time then he can take it.

In this case you must hold the goods from the time you agree to the sale, and have received either proof of deposit or the actual funds. You must also take POP as intention and proof of transfer of funds and hold until you receive the rest of the funds. Buyer must not attempt to collect the goods until full and final payment has been made and has cleared into your account.

That's the ethical way.

Agree 100% with you!

lol. You can do whatever you like. I honestly could not care. I've bought plenty of items on this site already with no issues at all. Just because I don't agree with the general b*tching on this site for everything does not make me a bad buyer/seller. But yeah, each to their own.

uhm, if you go back on your word after committing to a buyer(I am not talking dibs and that stront) I am afraid you are a bad seller hence my comment. Keeping your options open after the transaction was agreed is as big of a dick move and someone not taking an item after committing to buy it. See that knife cuts both ways. But hey if your word is worth a hundred or two hundred rand more...go for it. Like they say in the classics..."die wiel draai pappie"

I negotiate deals based on a willing buyer/willing seller principle. If I've committed to such a deal then said deal is executed. I have on numerous occasions rejected buyers from attempting to snipe/outbid other buyers, due to previously committed negotiations. Calling dibs does not entitle one to said item.

Ah ok, I think we are on the same page, dibs as you pointed out means jack, like the points on who's line is it anyway. I don't react on dibs...a firm "i will take it" means the buyer is willing. All I am saying it will be a dick move to now still consider other offers from people. He / she has committed, so should the seller. So all good

I have generally had decent dealings on the hub. But the "what's your best price" comment really irks me. The price I advertised is my best price, so asking me as if you expect me to say "oh , for you, half of that" is annoying at best. Generally ignore those. Everything in life is negotiable, however if you wish to negotiate , make contact, show intention and let's talk.

These best price guys amuse me. Best price for which party?

I just restate my asking price. In my opinion, it's the onus of the buyer to make a reasonable offer that he's willing to pay, not the seller to drop the price until some magic number is attained.

I've actually had people do this to me after a deal has been negotiated and agreed to and we meet f2f for the exchange. Suddenly the guy chirps: "so, what's your best price?", as he's taking out his wallet.

People like to bitch for the sake of bitching. Quite frankly, if I am selling something I can sell to whoever I want to. It's my thing. Even if you called dibs, if another person offers me more, I have the right to sell it to that person.

Unethical is someone advertising something as like new but when you get it, it's a piece of ****.

Bollocks why set a price that you are happy with then sell your morals for R10 more...

If nothing else this thread sure let me know who I will happily deal with the next time they have something for sale. In contrast, some sales should be glanced over.

+1

If nothing else this thread sure let me know who I will happily deal with the next time they have something for sale. In contrast, some sales should be glanced over.

Agreed, Terry. Proper character coming to the fore, despite protestations of moral quality in other threads. 

Edited by El Capitan

He lurks in the ladies change rooms, never been bust, hence the name escapee

i wont say lurks, SHE is allowed to be there more like inappropriately stares :ph34r:  :whistling:

i wont say lurks, SHE is allowed to be there more like inappropriately stares :ph34r:  :whistling:

Reminds me of those sales ladies at the expensive bra boutiques that follow you into the change room with a tape measure.  :eek:

Another thing that's getting to me a bit is the 'bike shops' who post about 10 ads at once. I go back to look at an ad I was interested in only to have to try find which page its now on. I have no problem with shops wanting to advertise their wares as that is business, but maybe they could have their own classified section? It must suck for the guy who posts up his ad only to find it on the third page within 5 minutes

Another thing that's getting to me a bit is the 'bike shops' who post about 10 ads at once. I go back to look at an ad I was interested in only to have to try find which page its now on. I have no problem with shops wanting to advertise their wares as that is business, but maybe they could have their own classified section? It must suck for the guy who posts up his ad only to find it on the third page within 5 minutes

That's what the filters on the left hand side are for... 

Nope. As soon as you accepted the initial offer, despite the reduced purchase price and the other buyer offering you more, you have entered into a verbal contract of sale and as such you are being highly unethical by selling to buyer 2.

The correct way to do it would be to say to buyer 1 that he has until x time to transfer the deposit, and if the funds are not transferred by that time then the sale agreement is rendered bull and void. In the meantime you tell buyer 2 that you have a buyer at the moment but if the deposit has not reached you by x time then he can take it.

In this case you must hold the goods from the time you agree to the sale, and have received either proof of deposit or the actual funds. You must also take POP as intention and proof of transfer of funds and hold until you receive the rest of the funds. Buyer must not attempt to collect the goods until full and final payment has been made and has cleared into your account.

That's the ethical way.

What he said, and that's that. Cannot be clearer or fairer.

If you are not selling or buying in this way you need to reassess your life.

What he said, and that's that. Cannot be clearer or fairer.

If you are not selling or buying in this way you need to reassess your life.

Adding to this - if the seller sold to the higher bidder after the agreement had come into play (acceptance of the deposit subject to terms) then the initial buyer would be within his rights to demand that the seller provide him with another bike at the same price, in the same condition, regardless of the cost to the seller. 

That's if he decided to take it to the small claims court, and if the seller disputed the claims, had sufficient evidence in the form of telephone recordings and / or text / email messages etc.