ScottCM

19 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Agreed. Also you need to test your body in rave conditions and know that there are so many variables that you can't discount something after one bad experience. 

experience... you can't buy it...

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, dave303e said:

experience... you can't buy it...

the initial question was what other tried and tested long distance fuel options were out there, since I started getting GI upset on Maurten after using it for a year and a half; now that I've increased length and duration. Sometimes it's not worth reinventing the nutrition wheel if a thousand others already went through the same rigmarole hence the reason we ask within our community. Experience, in this case - has to be bought 🙂 Since I now have the fun (if not expensive) task ahead of setting up comparison runs on brands X, Y and Z and see what works, what doesn't. Endurance vs Race products; Solids vs Gels vs Bars vs Jellies. When to start, frequency, combinations and whathaveyou's.

Anyway thank you all for all the input. Now it's a game of either over or under doing it. Hitting a wall or hitting a negative split pb sprint home for all the wrong reasons... 

image.png.33e26d77ab27456d1ac7d94b5ae621c0.png

2 hours ago, Vallende Vaandel said:

the initial question was what other tried and tested long distance fuel options were out there, since I started getting GI upset on Maurten after using it for a year and a half; now that I've increased length and duration. Sometimes it's not worth reinventing the nutrition wheel if a thousand others already went through the same rigmarole hence the reason we ask within our community. Experience, in this case - has to be bought 🙂 Since I now have the fun (if not expensive) task ahead of setting up comparison runs on brands X, Y and Z and see what works, what doesn't. Endurance vs Race products; Solids vs Gels vs Bars vs Jellies. When to start, frequency, combinations and whathaveyou's.

Anyway thank you all for all the input. Now it's a game of either over or under doing it. Hitting a wall or hitting a negative split pb sprint home for all the wrong reasons... 

image.png.33e26d77ab27456d1ac7d94b5ae621c0.png

Sadly no one answer fits all for THIS ^^^

A friend that does a range of long distance events, from 36one to Ironman to Comrades has an ongoing issue with nausia, but only when doing the ultras.

Various dietary options later this one issue remains.

Hope you do get your answer.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Sadly no one answer fits all for THIS ^^^

A friend that does a range of long distance events, from 36one to Ironman to Comrades has an ongoing issue with nausia, but only when doing the ultras.

Various dietary options later this one issue remains.

Hope you do get your answer.

One thing people don't take into account is the amount of time one forces the body to ingest stuff.

3 to 5 hours? Cool, most of us should be fine. 6 to 9 hours things start getting iffy. The mouth starts getting sensitive and your teeth start getting furry.

9 to 14 hours you probably should have mixed in some real food and savory stuff along with a balanced fluid in take.

Longer than 15 hours? Eat real food mostly, have a carb drink on hand and keep some Gu/sweets close in case you feel a bonk coming.

Keep some enos handy too.

That's my sort of formula and it works 'for me'

Considering I've done non stop running races lasting almost 4 days, non stop AR races lasting over a week as well as 33 minute 10ks and sub3 marathons, I have a small Idea of how my body works and gee wizz it's taken a lot of time on my feet to get there. 

I'm sure I could have been a 'better runner' if I had actually cared more, but the reality I was and am still there for the doing of it, not the results. 

The times and the results have always been secondary or a product of the experience.

Edited by Jewbacca

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

One thing people don't take into account is the amount of time one forces the body to ingest stuff.

3 to 5 hours? Cool, most of us should be fine. 6 to 9 hours things start getting iffy. The mouth starts getting sensitive and your teeth start getting furry.

9 to 14 hours you probably should have mixed in some real food and savory stuff along with a balanced fluid in take.

Longer than 15 hours? Eat real food mostly, have a carb drink on hand and keep some Gu/sweets close in case you feel a bonk coming.

Keep some enos handy too.

That's my sort of formula and it works 'for me'

Considering I've done non stop running races lasting almost 4 days, non stop AR races lasting over a week as well as 33 minute 10ks and sub3 marathons, I have a small Idea of how my body works and gee wizz it's taken a lot of time on my feet to get there. 

I'm sure I could have been a 'better runner' if I had actually cared more, but the reality I was and am still there for the doing of it, not the results. 

The times and the results have always been secondary or a product of the experience.

I don't have anywhere near @Jewbacca's experience, but I've just done my first ultra, so I have some experience with runs up to 6 hours as well as much longer bike rides.

I fuelled my ultra, and any training run over 2 hours, almost exclusively with Tailwind drink mix and gels - mainly Maurten and SiS. Any run under 90 mins, fasted or not, I didn't bother taking any carbs along at all.

I was pleasantly surprised that I finished a six hour ultra on a croissant and Red Bull before the start, and 6 gels and some Tailwind and other carb drinks during the race, without feeling hungry or having any GI distress or cramping. One thing I do know is that the SiS Lemon and Lime gels taste ****ing awful.

I don't get along with sweets and bars on runs for some reason, where I have no problem with them when riding.

I make my own “adventure” bars for anything over two hours. Oats, dates, Cacao, cashews, sunflower seeds, coconut oil. Home made, can adjust flavour, salt, etc to suit you pallet. 

And I’m also a fan of tailwind, but I do use much less than the recommended scoops (Probably half). Lastly, Gu gels.

But it needs to be said that I’ve admittedly not had any real issues other than the odd bonk here or there over multiple ultras, etc. I’ve probably not gone fast enough for those issues to occur. Lol. I’ve always seen ultras as more of a eating contest rather than a race. I like eating!! 

38E7C807-4B7B-4F95-BEA4-8BF5EA07AC19.jpeg.d416d58ce31a300d82d51a6bd18c5902.jpeg056B8276-3C06-4EF7-9DF0-C8407A4F8D8E.jpeg.7117cbd926a48b162bb9e822ed0d0272.jpeg

9 hours ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

I make my own “adventure” bars for anything over two hours. Oats, dates, Cacao, cashews, sunflower seeds, coconut oil. Home made, can adjust flavour, salt, etc to suit you pallet. 

And I’m also a fan of tailwind, but I do use much less than the recommended scoops (Probably half). Lastly, Gu gels.

But it needs to be said that I’ve admittedly not had any real issues other than the odd bonk here or there over multiple ultras, etc. I’ve probably not gone fast enough for those issues to occur. Lol. I’ve always seen ultras as more of a eating contest rather than a race. I like eating!! 

38E7C807-4B7B-4F95-BEA4-8BF5EA07AC19.jpeg.d416d58ce31a300d82d51a6bd18c5902.jpeg056B8276-3C06-4EF7-9DF0-C8407A4F8D8E.jpeg.7117cbd926a48b162bb9e822ed0d0272.jpeg

Just on this. There are a lot of things in that that take a long time to digest. For an ultra it is not bad to have the fibre and to know your stomach is always working at digesting and always has a little available. If you need to burn energy quick, like a big long hill or needing to push for a cutoff or something like that. You will not be able to digest that fast and the bioavailability is not high. So this with a combo of a carb drink for topping up as and when you need or if you hit a wall/bonk and then this for the base. These would work well for proper ultras. For real ultras a warm meal is always a big one. 

My guideline is that the longer you go the more real food you need, but your intensity is lower so you have more capacity to digest. But ya every event, every weather pattern and every person is different so you need to just test yourself over and over again. 

If you know how many times I have thrown up or k....ed on the run due to disease or nutrition mistakes you would probably shake your head in disgust. 

So far I’ve found the best thing that works for me; a mix of peanuts, raisins and biltong. Optional add on, a protein bar/s and maybe some gels. 

Anyone with some inside info on the expected date for Two Oceans 2025?

• 2 weeks later...

As I am getting desperate, I was wondering if there was maybe a hubber who had an entry for the GunRun and could maybe not run anymore? See entries got capped this year at 8000 and sold out very early. A lot of people looking for entries and a lot of scammers on the FB site of Gun Run. Been running the event since 2018 and would be sad to miss. As this is always prep for Cape Town Marathon a month later.

Blast from the past question. For many years and all my Two Oceans races i ran in Asics Gel DS Trainers all the way up to the DS 26 when it was dis-continued. I don't run far anymore, up to 10km, so got some Asics GT 2000.

Great shoe but feel " soft and slow", maybe its the "high stack" thing.

Any former users of DS Trainers out there.....what did you switch too?

19 hours ago, Prince said:

Blast from the past question. For many years and all my Two Oceans races i ran in Asics Gel DS Trainers all the way up to the DS 26 when it was dis-continued. I don't run far anymore, up to 10km, so got some Asics GT 2000.

Great shoe but feel " soft and slow", maybe its the "high stack" thing.

Any former users of DS Trainers out there.....what did you switch too?

Stretch who is no longer on BikeHub, use to run in GT2000 and is now running in  Saucony Guide 16

On 7/9/2024 at 7:31 PM, b-rad said:

Anyone with some inside info on the expected date for Two Oceans 2025?

good question, was much easier when it was always easter saturday.

Easter is very late in 2025, 20 April, might even be the weekend before.

• 2 weeks later...

Very decent results for the three SA ladies at the Olympic marathon yesterday! Superb Olympics for Sifan Hassan too. 
Finishing 1h30 behind Sifan was a runner from Bhutan. Finished 80th in 3h52 (79th place finished almost 1hr ahead in 2h55 for perspective). This runner “qualified” by way of a IOC ‘universality’ place. Quickest marathon prior to Olympics being a 3h26.
Qualification standard for all the other genuine athletes was 2:26:50.

I admire the perseverance to push on and finish because at the end of the day a marathon is a marathon and for anyone taking part it’s a challenge and a major achievement to finish. But let’s also be realistic here. The Olympics are the pinnacle and showcase (or should showcase) the best athletes from different countries. Qualification standards are there for a reason. But here we have someone being awarded a starting place with a time almost 1hr slower than the actual qualification standard? In fact almost too slow for a Boston marathon qualification.
There are many other big events to send such runners if international scale marathons are the goal. Any of the majors or platinum level marathons would suffice surely? Leave the Olympics for the Olympians