ScottCM

Sorry to hear about your bad race Carpet. Congrats on finishing Om Die Dam! It is the toughest ultra on my race calendar.
Well done on completing it, you could have bailed, but you didn't!!!

These are the races that will make you mentally stronger for future races. 

Don't feel discouraged.

Hope you are back on the road soon. 

• Replies 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Lopkopdam race report:

Walked 1km to the start from my accomodation which was great.

Started running and soon realized that I am not feeling good however I cannot pinpoint what the hel is bugging me.

Had to made a forced pitstip at about 8km in.

From there it was a monster sufferfest.

I never expected the run walk to start so soon, but it is what it is and at this point I was trying everything so that I will make it to the finish.

The saddest part for me was when I wasn’t able to run all the downhills and I love downs.

I walked about all of the last 5km due to nausea and vomiting.

I finished 6:08 and when straight to the medical tent.

Today I am still in bed, clearly a tummy bug of some sort.

hope you feel better Mattie,

i had the same thing yesterday at Birchwood , my gut stated at 16km and hit me hard , spend the whole of the rest of yesterday in bed .

keep hydrated and goodluck

On that note do you know when entries open for 2020? I have a very slim chance.. But I'm going to give it a go anyway

I think it's later in the year. Around September perhaps? I'm going to get my entry in. Hopefully my time is good enough.

I think it's later in the year. Around September perhaps? I'm going to get my entry in. Hopefully my time is good enough.

How far are you off your age group Target? I'm only 3.5 minutes.... But...I can hope

How far are you off your age group Target? I'm only 3.5 minutes.... But...I can hope

I just had a look now on the baa site for 2020. It looks like the times to qualify have reduced since I last looked. I'm now just over a minute below the required time. I suppose there is work to be done

I just had a look now on the baa site for 2020. It looks like the times to qualify have reduced since I last looked. I'm now just over a minute below the required time. I suppose there is work to be done

Yup... My age group was originally 3:15 and now it's 3:10....but... I'm in the 45+ age group next year so I'm back in the 3:15 category...woohoo[emoji23]

Carpet, well done! Esp under the conditions... that's not very lekker. Heal up quickly...

I've seen you listed your Freedom's as shoes - is that what you used for the race? My feet were very tired after doing only a 30 in them, so after that thought I'd not use them for longer. But that may also just have been on the day - we did klap a couple of downhills quite hard. 

Carpet, well done! Esp under the conditions... that's not very lekker. Heal up quickly...

I've seen you listed your Freedom's as shoes - is that what you used for the race? My feet were very tired after doing only a 30 in them, so after that thought I'd not use them for longer. But that may also just have been on the day - we did klap a couple of downhills quite hard. 

Thanks SeaBee

Yes I used the freedoms. I'm on my second pair at the moment. The first version was a bit better I think.

I love my freedoms, currently I can only compare them to the Kinvaras and the Peregrines.

Kinvaras I will not buy again as they do not last.

Peregrine are off road shoes and I also like them and have a more stable/solid feeling.

My shoe booster is finished now and was thinking of trying either the Saucony Thriumph or the New balance 890.

just jumping in if you dont mind,

i have had kinvara and freedoms , kinvara is a race shoes and does not like millage, its light and fast, my freedoms i have had two pairs 1st and second generation and i prefer the second generation , the upper is a tiny bit more supportive. i prefer the suppleness of the soul of the freedoms but then again i am a toothpick so im light on shoes.

millage out of interest :

last kinvara 479km only

1st gen freedoms 985km and still in use

i enjoy the freedoms so much that i train and race in them now only. 

just my two cents of random crap

My shoe booster is finished now and was thinking of trying either the Saucony Thriumph or the New balance 890.

I love my Triumph's, very cushioned, but then I am no race snake.  Only heard good feedback of Ride as well from owners.

just jumping in if you dont mind,

i have had kinvara and freedoms , kinvara is a race shoes and does not like millage, its light and fast, my freedoms i have had two pairs 1st and second generation and i prefer the second generation , the upper is a tiny bit more supportive. i prefer the suppleness of the soul of the freedoms but then again i am a toothpick so im light on shoes.

millage out of interest :

last kinvara 479km only

1st gen freedoms 985km and still in use

i enjoy the freedoms so much that i train and race in them now only. 

just my two cents of random crap

My 2c. 

If had 2 pairs of Freedom up to now, with about 600km on each. I pronate severly with my right foot, so the right shoe is now finished on both. So I've switched over to the New Balance Vongo for daily training. I've also bought a pair of Kinvaras that I will use for racing - if I keep mileage below 400km on a set they last okay. I've done marathons in the Kinvara before and they work well for me. I enjoyed the Freedom alot, but at R2.8k it is getting really expensive. At my current running rate I must buy new Freedoms every 2 months...

Okay my comments... and feedback on some of the questions.

I have the gen1 Freedoms, love them and only had that one day it gave me "tired feet" - and quite stiff afterwards. And like I mentioned, I ran with a buddy who does not like to go uphill, but hammered down. And coming down Red Hill and down that little pass into Simons Town (you climb out of Simons Town on the Argus) he just let loose. I will definitely be getting another pair of Freedom when these are done. 

Day-to-day, because of the lack of longevity of the Kinvaras, I started running daily runs with NB FF Zante, always a few models back on specials. Works well enough... My Altras I used to rotate with them are also long since buggered. 

I used to have Triumphs and now have Rides of "long distance" shoes. There are very little if any actual difference between them. That said, I am comparing an older Triumph to a newer Ride, so more current Triumph may be a bit more different to the same era Ride, but... pffff... I'm likely anyways not pro enough to notice it.

I'll most likely experiment with the Freedoms on longer runs a bit and see at the Rides' end of life whether I won't just stay on Freedom for longer runs. Because truthfully... heck, I only run a couple of long road runs per year. 

And PS to Carpet - I also love my Peregrines! My shoe booster may actually go into a new pair of those, whatever the new model may be. My 5's lasted so long that I went directly to the 8's just when they came out. But have to have a backup/rotation (esp in winter...) pair, since my 5's are now genuinely retired. (And my Altras also at the point of joining them...)