Puffy encounter

gerhardsnorbaard

Easter 2014 my mate Peter who owns the restaurant at Mokolodi Nature Reserve outside Gabs was lying in bed when a Moz spitter fell from the thatch onto his chest.He woke up and knocked it away with his hand.It bit him in the hand.

Looked like he was wearing a boxing glove for a while

I am not scared of snakes but I would have freaked if that had dropped on my chest

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone seen a Mamba standing tall?

Yip. Riding on mine road outside town few months ago, a Large one went across the road about 50 metres ahead of me. 

I say it went across the road, as it wasn't sailing... it was standing as tall as I was on my bike furiously going at a swarm of birds harassing it...

Been hiking since way back in 1985. At first was paranoid about walking into one of these things. Contemplated buying and carrying anti-venom kits and the like and then decided to read some good books on the subject to make a decision.

All the literature indicated snakes will more than likely avoid you and when you do happen to see one, you have already passed by a few hundred without knowing. Anyway, all anti-venom only last a short while and if applied in ignorance, you more likely to kill the patient than the actual venom.

Needless to say have kept on hiking with no anti-venom. Seen a handful of snakes (most in the Puff Adder family as they so slow and love laying in the sun) in all that time and never once had any serious encounters. Lucky? Don't think so. Dangerous encounters are extremely rare.

On my bike road past a thick black snake on Ocean View Drive and recognised it as a harmless Mole Snake. Then went past another I did not recognise in Richwood.

Look, admire and be on your way.

Yeah, only seen a Mamba stand like that on a documentary. Imagine it could strike you in the face. Then again I try my best not to think about snakes when I am out riding.

But

every now and again a race snake will pass.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Been hiking since way back in 1985. At first was paranoid about walking into one of these things. Contemplated buying and carrying anti-venom kits and the like and then decided to read some good books on the subject to make a decision.

All the literature indicated snakes will more than likely avoid you and when you do happen to see one, you have already passed by a few hundred without knowing. Anyway, all anti-venom only last a short while and if applied in ignorance, you more likely to kill the patient than the actual venom.

Needless to say have kept on hiking with no anti-venom. Seen a handful of snakes (most in the Puff Adder family as they so slow and love laying in the sun) in all that time and never once had any serious encounters. Lucky? Don't think so. Dangerous encounters are extremely rare.

On my bike road past a thick black snake on Ocean View Drive and recognised it as a harmless Mole Snake. Then went past another I did not recognise in Richwood.

Look, admire and be on your way.

Look... Yes

Admire... HELL NO

Be On MY Way... Already GONE!!!

Easter 2014 my mate Peter who owns the restaurant at Mokolodi Nature Reserve outside Gabs was lying in bed when a Moz spitter fell from the thatch onto his chest.He woke up and knocked it away with his hand.It bit him in the hand.

I am not scared of snakes but I would have freaked if that had dropped on my chest

:eek:

There would be laundry issues if that happened to me

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2 dead snakes out in the Cradle this morning:

I hate to see this, I don't know why people cant just drive around or stop for a minute. I am no fan of a snake but they do have their place in the ecosystem.

I hate to see this, I don't know why people cant just drive around or stop for a minute. I am no fan of a snake but they do have their place in the ecosystem.

Agreed, saw what looked like a massive cape cobra dead in the middle of the road on the way to Stellenbosh yesterday

Agreed, saw what looked like a massive cape cobra dead in the middle of the road on the way to Stellenbosh yesterday

I have seen people on a local dirt road swerve to hit a snake before. Then again in my town people dump their crap everywhere, poison the wildlife, destroy the water sources and complain about how the world is changing....!