Puffy encounter

gerhardsnorbaard

Geez. This thread has me all paranoid now. Sounds like most times nothing happens, but what do you do when things do go pear shaped? Any doctors out there with some sound advice?

I've heard all sorts of conflicting advice (e.g. "suck out the poison" and "never suck out the poison" or "move as little as possible" and "run like hell". I guess much of what you do will depend on the situation, where you are and what kind of snake bit you.

Would be good to at least have basic a plan of action in case of a snake bite.

And what snake it was.

I think the best thing we should all do is familiarise ourselves with the snakes in our areas ..because if bitten, identification is key to know what to do.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not only in the bush that one sees them. almost rode over a snake crossing the road during the amshova on sunday. had to brake and swerve a little whilst in the bunch at 35kph. almost peed in my pants as I little room to manoeuvre.

As it was very black and although rare in our area it was probably a Rinkhals.

Cape Cobras come in every colour, including completely black, spotted, greenish, golden, straw, brown, banded. Much more likely that it was one than a Rinkhals.

Just also remember, most of us won't be able to quickly identify snakes from each other riding along (unless it's a puffy of course)

Look at this Cape Cobra:

cape-cobra-1-africa.jpg?w=300&h=199

I got tagged a couple of weeks back while mtbbiking ...My long vis is not so hot any more i saw the this strange black plant  thickish stem bulbous head standing up about 50 cm high in the path... then it disappeared.As I passed the spot i caught a flash of movement to my right and got stuck on the arm...just piercing the skin.i stopped a little further down no sign of the snake by then...the  2 holes were bleeding freely and the blood seemed diluted.

So the snake was either a Rinkhals or a cobra luckily both don't necessarily  inject poison on every strike.As it was very black and although rare in our area it was probably a Rinkhals.

This was on the Tokai side the path along the fence next to a very reedy spot at the river. 2 days ago  a woman stepped on a puffie in the Tokai walking /horse ridding park luckilly she was wearing wellington boots and it didn't pierce the rubber.

Just a note of caution although lazy remember a Puffadder can stike backwards .

:eek:

it turns out, snakes hunt at night, too. And I am the fool hiking at night without a headlamp. :drool:

A mere week ago snakes were only a figment of my imagination, now they present a real consideration. But, alas, rather a snake than the taxman. 

Geez. This thread has me all paranoid now. Sounds like most times nothing happens, but what do you do when things do go pear shaped? Any doctors out there with some sound advice?

I've heard all sorts of conflicting advice (e.g. "suck out the poison" and "never suck out the poison" or "move as little as possible" and "run like hell". I guess much of what you do will depend on the situation, where you are and what kind of snake bit you. 

Would be good to at least have basic a plan of action in case of a snake bite.

Tygerberg Snake bite unit.

021 931 6129. Keep the number handy..

"Would be good to at least have basic a plan of action in case of a snake bite."

A site worth reading 

http://www.seanthomas.net/oldsite/venom.html

Where to go, who to call, if you have been bitten Institution Phone Number (Cape Town area code 021) Poison Unit, Red Cross Hospital 021-689 5227 Groote Schuur Hospital, Casualty 021-404-4141 Tygerberg Hospital, Poison Unit 021-931-6129 Constantiaberg Mediclinic, Casualty 021-799-2087/021-799-2122

Tygerberg Snake bite unit.

021 931 6129. Keep the number handy..

Anyone have a similar emergency no. for the Southern Suburbs? Anything like that at Groote Schuur?

Edit, ignore, I see HS already answered - telepathy, I tell you, or great minds?

Edited by DJR

"Would be good to at least have basic a plan of action in case of a snake bite."

A site worth reading 

http://www.seanthomas.net/oldsite/venom.html

Where to go, who to call, if you have been bitten Institution Phone Number (Cape Town area code 021) Poison Unit, Red Cross Hospital 021-689 5227 Groote Schuur Hospital, Casualty 021-404-4141 Tygerberg Hospital, Poison Unit 021-931-6129 Constantiaberg Mediclinic, Casualty 021-799-2087/021-799-2122

I think i will prob died before i reached Tygerberg. Coming from Mpumalanga i will have to first book a flight or drive 20hours,  :eek:  :whistling:  :ph34r:

Anyone have a similar emergency no. for the Southern Suburbs? Anything like that at Groote Schuur?

Edit, ignore, I see HS already answered - telepathy, I tell you, or great minds?

Nah. Can't speak for all but me, I'm just scared..

every year this thread starts, i think you guys spread snake rumors just to keep the trails to yourselves  :ph34r:

Well it works. No chance that you will see me on a MTB soon.

Lexx, popular wisdom reckons that if you bitten by those snakes you see (Black Mamba) just find a nice tree, sit down and make peace with the world because it wont be long. Considering I have asked you to show me the routes down there in December a bit nervous now.