Puffy encounter

gerhardsnorbaard

Guest notmyname

They are coming out of, or have recently come back from hibernation so they are hungry and grumpy. Steer clear for the next few weeks.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja . The geelslange here are also lank agro. Always pose for a pic. Puffies are very lazy but stand their ground. Geelslang poses

and ten moves along fast.

I fear a geelslang move because they are to uptight and hyper

Geelslang , the roadie of snakes?

Edited by Starvin' Marvin

I got tagged a couple of weeks back while mtbbiking ...My long vis is not so hot any more i saw the this strange black plant  thickish stem bulbous head standing up about 50 cm high in the path... then it disappeared.As I passed the spot i caught a flash of movement to my right and got stuck on the arm...just piercing the skin.i stopped a little further down no sign of the snake by then...the  2 holes were bleeding freely and the blood seemed diluted.

So the snake was either a Rinkhals or a cobra luckily both don't necessarily  inject poison on every strike.As it was very black and although rare in our area it was probably a Rinkhals.

This was on the Tokai side the path along the fence next to a very reedy spot at the river. 2 days ago  a woman stepped on a puffie in the Tokai walking /horse ridding park luckilly she was wearing wellington boots and it didn't pierce the rubber.

Just a note of caution although lazy remember a Puffadder can stike backwards .

Edited by howardsteele

I got tagged a couple of weeks back while mtbbiking ...My long vis is not so hot any more i saw the this strange black plant  thickish stem bulbous head standing up about 50 cm high in the path... then it disappeared.As I passed the spot i caught a flash of movement to my right and got stuck on the arm...just piercing the skin.i stopped a little further down no sign of the snake by then...the  2 holes were bleeding freely and the blood seemed diluted.

So the snake was either a Rinkhals or a cobra luckily both don't necessarily  inject poison on every strike.As it was very black and although rare in our area it was probably a Rinkhals.

This was on the Tokai side the path along the fence next to a very reedy spot at the river. 2 days ago  a woman stepped on a puffie in the Tokai walking /horse ridding park luckilly she was wearing wellington boots and it didn't pierce the rubber.

:eek:  :eek:

Liewe aarde....man van staal is that you

My wife seems to attract them. She sees a snake more often than I care to know. Might be in her head as she was bitten once as a kid.

Anyhow on one (of a few) actual sightings in Tokia she came across a Puffy on the single track that goes beside the road that climbs up from the start.

I was ahead of her, she screams, I stop and walk back and there is the rather large lad crossing the path. Must have been crossing because I just passed there a few second earlier.

Anyhow, here's the thing. The snake moved into a tuft of grass in the middle of the path. It went in and never came out. Do you think I could see it once in the grass? Impossible....

Eventually it moved off and onto the otherside of the path.

With such amazing camouflage, I'm positive we cycle past them all the time and never even notice.

Scary stuff! But this is Africa!

Edited by MarcL

It's also the fastest striking snake on earth and can strike objects 3 times its body length away. They may be lazy, but they are damned dangerous!

Edited by GrahamS2

Came across this one about 3 weeks ago just before the famous WTF climb East of Pretoria

Think it was a Mfezi - Mozambique Spitting cobra. 

Beautiful.

No man! Right on my doorstep.

Reading this thread it seemed as if all the snakes were in the cape. Thanks for spoiling that idea! :P

A couple of years ago, we encountered a Rinkhals in the ORT airport track, I will go through my photos and see if I can find the pic.

:eek:  :eek:

Liewe aarde....man van staal is that you

Ja...Quite a surreal experience. I have had quite a few sightings while mntbiking  over the years,Cobras ,puffies and mole snake my biking Buddy is a snake nut and relishes every sighting...He's disappointment ...he wasn't out riding with me when i got Tagged.

Ja...Quite a surreal experience. I have had quite a few sightings while mntbiking over the years,Cobras ,puffies and mole snake my biking Buddy is a snake nut and relishes every sighting...He's disappointment ...he wasn't out riding with me when i got Tagged.

Some people [emoji12]

Hubby also loves every sighting. . Stops turns round takes pics ..and all I want to do it get the hell put of there real fast.

He once saw a mongoose kill a puffie while out riding ..

Personally I would prefer seeing jackals and buck than these damn snakes..but it seems the snakes are more common than the buck.

This thing gave me a fight at Tokai last year 

The guy in front of me stopped and started shouting and waving, so I waved back.

It was only when I was almost on top of it, that I clicked. And then panicked.

I think I let out a short high pitched scream and maybe a little bit of wee came out.

It eventually moved off the road. I must admit that it did look quite beautiful in the sun light.

post-615-0-47888300-1445494199_thumb.jpg

I'm super involved reading this thread, and my cat just brushed its whiskers past my leg. I kakked myself whilst unsuccessfully landing a backflip off my office chair...

Lol

Jinne.. speaking of cats.. ours likes bringing us gift, sometimes she even brings as snakes as gifts. (Always brown houses and redlips)

I'm super involved reading this thread, and my cat just brushed its whiskers past my leg. I kakked myself whilst unsuccessfully landing a backflip off my office chair...

:w00t: Just had a quick check under my office desk as well........... :devil:

Geez. This thread has me all paranoid now. Sounds like most times nothing happens, but what do you do when things do go pear shaped? Any doctors out there with some sound advice?

I've heard all sorts of conflicting advice (e.g. "suck out the poison" and "never suck out the poison" or "move as little as possible" and "run like hell". I guess much of what you do will depend on the situation, where you are and what kind of snake bit you. 

Would be good to at least have basic a plan of action in case of a snake bite.