Dopers suck

fandacious

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Why is taking ketones a questionable practice if it’s not banned? There are no known long term side effects other than those associated with ketogenic diets i.e. kidney stones or disfunction, social acceptance problems due to telling everybody you’re keto and stuff like that 

well, the UCI banned continuous glucose monitoring in competition (except for diabatic riders). I can't see the sense in that. They may as well ban HRM and power meters too.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

image.png.add3f955b63bf590b1f063a79f54d0a6.png

the combinations of who should have won these are too much fun

That was a fun decade. None of the riders in that list would have won. Probably not a clean rider in the top 10!

27 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

well, the UCI banned continuous glucose monitoring in competition (except for diabatic riders). I can't see the sense in that. They may as well ban HRM and power meters too.

The question is: Do we really want that? Do we really want ultra measured riders who are guided only by the numbers? Drones covered in sensors who ride Froome style with both eyes firmly on the 9" iPad on their bars...

That would be boring as fark. 

2 minutes ago, Eldron said:

The question is: Do we really want that? Do we really want ultra measured riders who are guided only by the numbers? Drones covered in sensors who ride Froome style with both eyes firmly on the 9" iPad on their bars...

That would be boring as fark. 

100% agree. they should ban other meters too. but we all know the UCI... socks are super-important and rider-safety is not.

5 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

It won’t make a difference at racing if they ban a power meter, pros know what X watts feel like. 

That's probably the biggest thing I have learnt this year; train to ride on feel, rather than watching the head unit.
Look at the data afterwards and see if I could nail it on feel alone. It's hard at first but gets easier with time.

8 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

It won’t make a difference at racing if they ban a power meter, pros know what X watts feel like. 

Well that begs the question, why have them at all then? Are you saying it wont affect the outcome (much) but the analytics are still useful?

7 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

How much fun was it when the Dutch were bamboozled at the Olympics without race radios?

Fun, but also kind of silly. It is incredibly hard to keep track of how many riders went in the break and count them as the get caught in drips and drabs.
At most I'd support a ban on DS playing puppet from the car, but communicating race developments and general tactical changes makes for better racing.

8 minutes ago, Frosty said:

That's probably the biggest thing I have learnt this year; train to ride on feel, rather than watching the head unit.
Look at the data afterwards and see if I could nail it on feel alone. It's hard at first but gets easier with time.

100% agree, if I look down constantly I think, **** if I go harder I won’t recover and and and

i ride for fun, results and improvements are secondary, 

but in all honesty 99% of the readers following this thread will accurately know looking back over a ride, where the went too hard and why they blew, in retro it’s always easy but after a few years most know when they have crossed the line 

1 minute ago, bleedToWin said:

Fun, but also kind of silly. It is incredibly hard to keep track of how many riders went in the break and count them as the get caught in drips and drabs.
At most I'd support a ban on DS playing puppet from the car, but communicating race developments and general tactical changes makes for better racing.

Hmmmm, this could be it's own thread I think. A lot of interesting opinions here. I've always thought that races were more exciting without radios. There was more chance of somebody sneaking away, so more chance of an underdog winning as opposed to clinical execution and the predictability of the best team winning. It makes things less "fair" in that weaker riders can sneak away and pull a fast one on the strongest rider (see the 1985 vuelta), but it also makes riders more impulsive and more exciting in general.

4 minutes ago, NickGM said:

Hmmmm, this could be it's own thread I think. A lot of interesting opinions here. I've always thought that races were more exciting without radios. There was more chance of somebody sneaking away, so more chance of an underdog winning as opposed to clinical execution and the predictability of the best team winning. It makes things less "fair" in that weaker riders can sneak away and pull a fast one on the strongest rider (see the 1985 vuelta), but it also makes riders more impulsive and more exciting in general.

At SA champs this year I was in the (heavily reduced) bunch with one of the dominant teams chasing a break and one of their riders working in the same break. They decided the break composition wasn't right, but couldn't communicate this tactical decision. Every once in a while the guys in the bunch tried whistling and shouting as hard as they could to their teammate to stop working with the break. It was quite silly.

31 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

At SA champs this year I was in the (heavily reduced) bunch with one of the dominant teams chasing a break and one of their riders working in the same break. They decided the break composition wasn't right, but couldn't communicate this tactical decision. Every once in a while the guys in the bunch tried whistling and shouting as hard as they could to their teammate to stop working with the break. It was quite silly.

The difference is team cars in the pro peleton.

Info will be relayed back and forth, but with delay. I like the limited race radio option, so 2 team members can have an ear piece/transponder and the rest have to rely on them being where they are meant to be. 

Speaking as the middle aged oke on a mid range bike in the middle of the field - I sometimes feel that I have completely cooked myself 2 hours in and then after 3 hours suddenly find I'm actually stronger than I was after one hour. 

Other times though I set out thinking "I've got the good legs today - PB's coming up" only to be halfway up suikerbossie and wishing I wasn't. 

"I don't trust my inner feelings - inner feelings come and go" - Leonard Cohen

3 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Speaking as the middle aged oke on a mid range bike in the middle of the field - I sometimes feel that I have completely cooked myself 2 hours in and then after 3 hours suddenly find I'm actually stronger than I was after one hour. 

Other times though I set out thinking "I've got the good legs today - PB's coming up" only to be halfway up suikerbossie and wishing I wasn't. 

"I don't trust my inner feelings - inner feelings come and go" - Leonard Cohen

Yeah but your routine isn't the same as for a pro cyclist. Your rest and recovery will vary and there's that MAMIL bit,....not so young anymore so every day is a gift you know

4 hours ago, NickGM said:

Well that begs the question, why have them at all then? Are you saying it wont affect the outcome (much) but the analytics are still useful?

yes analytics and data is useful post race from fatigue, nutrition and so forth.