Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

attachicon.gifDSC_1065.JPG

I got this bench from a friend of mine . Any advice on how to bring it back to life ? Which sandpaper(grit) and do I varnish or stain ?

Start with p60 grit if your sander is strong enough and/or you need to remove a lot of material.

Otherwise 120 and finish off with 240 if you are bored and want it any smoother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start with p60 grit if your sander is strong enough and/or you need to remove a lot of material.

Otherwise 120 and finish off with 240 if you are bored and want it any smoother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does one get the black marks out of wood ? I think its water marks or lack of maintenance.

How does one get the black marks out of wood ? I think its water marks or lack of maintenance.

With a belt sander :D

Most of those will be pretty deep so generally easier to just stain or use coloured varnish in a similar shade.

or check the bottom of the planks, and turn them upside down if the lower face is better. Given the radius on the outer planks, they'll need to be swapped and then inverted. A lot of work, but potentially worthwhile if those top surfaces are properly kuck.

or check the bottom of the planks, and turn them upside down if the lower face is better. Given the radius on the outer planks, they'll need to be swapped and then inverted. A lot of work, but potentially worthwhile if those top surfaces are properly kuck.

Yeah I know about this and about sanding, but I heard something along the lines of some sort of bleach(maybe called something else) which can be applied.

Cool guitar! I built myself a similar one back in my wasted youth - couldn't play it though as much as I wanted to, not in my code. Also built the amp (from components and own etched pcb) and the speaker box.

That table  - I would start with paint stripper and with an orbital sander start with 40 or 60 grit and work your way up to 100. Belt sanders are good for material removal but can get out of hand quick!

For coating / sealing wood, I am big fan of Nova 17

Edited by kosmonooit

You can try with "washing soda" - mix double strength and use a scrubbing brush - this has worked well for me in the past on varnished garage doors - but does take some of the old varnish off as well. - Pick and Pay stock it.

You can try with "washing soda" - mix double strength and use a scrubbing brush - this has worked well for me in the past on varnished garage doors - but does take some of the old varnish off as well. - Pick and Pay stock it.

Awesome thanks

My holiday project: Paint living room and make a live edge Silver Oak shelf to replace the funny little kassie we used to put the television on for the last 8 years... My dad planted the the tree some 35 years ago as part of a wind shield in his citrus orchards. Turned out that the shade of the large trees created bigger problems than wind and down they came. My boet had the foresight to take some of the wood to a sawmill and one plank made its way from the farm in Patensie to Stellies... I still need to source better brackets (will be hitting antique shops soon) and the make a plan with the freaking tv/dvd wires.

post-33762-0-79347500-1515573478_thumb.jpg

post-33762-0-93233400-1515573484_thumb.jpg

My holiday project: Paint living room and make a live edge Silver Oak shelf to replace the funny little kassie we used to put the television on for the last 8 years... My dad planted the the tree some 35 years ago as part of a wind shield in his citrus orchards. Turned out that the shade of the large trees created bigger problems than wind and down they came. My boet had the foresight to take some of the wood to a sawmill and one plank made its way from the farm in Patensie to Stellies... I still need to source better brackets (will be hitting antique shops soon) and the make a plan with the freaking tv/dvd wires.

go look at Gelmar..

they have some nicer Brackets

from wrought iron look to cleaner chromed steel

attachicon.gifDSC_1065.JPG

I got this bench from a friend of mine . Any advice on how to bring it back to life ? Which sandpaper(grit) and do I varnish or stain ?

Easy fix. 80 grit cabinet paper, finish with 120 grit and treat with a deck sealer.