Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Nice house. :eek:

a "small" family pad we did for a rather awesome client at the foot of Table Mountain

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pallet wood is not treated with anything other than being kiln dried.

Yes, companies like Chep do paint theirs, but the discarded pine or saligna pallets laying around is perfectly safe to use.

I know for a fact that pallet wood is treated with pesticides and are certified that they are even local ones

Yes not all.

Edited by porqui

I know for a fact that pallet wood is treated with pesticides and are certified that they are even local ones

Yes not all.

Pallets/components are heat treated, and not Kiln dried. ISPM specification requires a core temperature of 56 deg C, at 3 hours. This should kill all bugs apparently.

Insecticide treatment was/is done with methyl bromide, but department of agriculture would like to eliminate this process altogether.

Almost finished with 3 on the outside. Still some finishing off to do, decks, corners and around the windows. Plan changed with nr 2 and 3 as I've ordered the wrong length of wood, 600mm longer, but in the end it's larger and looks better.48a88a37e5201543bb70633b437dd7d7.jpgcd3a4cc678da54699a0b4742097da9a8.jpg

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi guys, I am looking for some steel for a Biesemeyer type fence. Angle iron and square tubing, 5 mm wall thickness. Any suppliers in Centurion, Pta, Midrand? The normal guys only have up to 2 mm wall thickness.

Almost finished with 3 on the outside. Still some finishing off to do, decks, corners and around the windows. Plan changed with nr 2 and 3 as I've ordered the wrong length of wood, 600mm longer, but in the end it's larger and looks better.48a88a37e5201543bb70633b437dd7d7.jpgcd3a4cc678da54699a0b4742097da9a8.jpg

A pic of the ceiling with insulation.99773c3115e62ed2361d934cd0039163.jpg

At last I have a proper woodworking project to show again.  My daughter's bedside "table".

It is the first time I tried dovetails for drawers and also the first time I made raised panel doors / drawer fronts.

I must say, it came out better than what I originally expected.

The carcass is pine with white chalk paint & wax.  The drawers are pine finished with wax. The top and drawer fronts are rosewood darkened a bit  with gel stain and then finished with Woodoc 25.

I will add a glass on top to prevent scratches to the gloss finish.

post-50518-0-23056400-1533103275_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-09298900-1533103297_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-36118400-1533103314_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-77392800-1533103327_thumb.jpg

Edited by carrera4s

I'd be weary of pallet wood. A friend of mine had some sort of worm in wood he got, but it might have been from a shipping crate.

Hi guys, I am looking for some steel for a Biesemeyer type fence. Angle iron and square tubing, 5 mm wall thickness. Any suppliers in Centurion, Pta, Midrand? The normal guys only have up to 2 mm wall thickness.

Have you tried NJR steel in Silverton? Or Stan Rio, also in Silverton (they are more pricey than most other shops in Pta area but they quite often have stock others don't)

http://asapsteel.co.za/

I have bought a fair amount of 5mm stuff from them - easy to deal with and they cut and deliver - perhaps go and visit them and check out their offcuts pile with tape measure and cutting list in hand - you may well be lucky.

http://asapsteel.co.za/

I have bought a fair amount of 5mm stuff from them - easy to deal with and they cut and deliver - perhaps go and visit them and check out their offcuts pile with tape measure and cutting list in hand - you may well be lucky.

Have you tried NJR steel in Silverton? Or Stan Rio, also in Silverton (they are more pricey than most other shops in Pta area but they quite often have stock others don't)

Tx, I also found Stewards&Lloyds close to our offices in Sandton.  Will check your recommendations if I cannot get sorted at S&L.

A pic of the ceiling with insulation.99773c3115e62ed2361d934cd0039163.jpg

So this is where we are at the moment.1cebaf6bb613150ab06c76f0d21142e0.jpg2031f7e9bd94cac52d1d389270252043.jpg

Guys, would you consider ryobi's 18v series (jigsaw,circ saw, reciprocal saw, 2 3Ah batteries, charger and angle grinder) all for less than R6000? Purely diy use. Makita will cost almost R20k. Will last me forever, but that's a lot of bike part money...

Ryobi Is okay for occasional DIY use - they don't have a high duty cycle or build quality but their cordless tools certainly could be useful around the house. There is good backup although I recently got a chain from them for a Ryobi electric chainsaw I scored from a client, it was silly expensive cf to the Stihl I normally  use.

Thing is as well the is the battery system, once you go a particular brand one get locked into their system.