Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That pic sums up every trip to any hardware store...

I have an old world hardware store around the corner from me in Observatory where they still know stuff and where you can buy things like nails per weight, not in little plastic packets.

I have an old world hardware store around the corner from me in Observatory where they still know stuff and where you can buy things like nails per weight, not in little plastic packets.

damn I wish there was still one of those around me.

I grew up knowing a hardware store to be like that, not these modern hardware supermarkets that we have now.

BTW, the closest I've come to buying by weight recently is at Leroy, you buy a little packet, and then can put as many bolts, nuts, washers, screws etc. as you need into the packet.

Shortly after builders started doing the same thing but at 4x the price.

My father in law was given a few planks of Imbuia from a golfing mate. The smell when you are turning it is absolutely amazing, I still think its the best smelling wood and it sands to a glass like finish.

I love going to sites where we are specifying timbers when the guys are working ... you can smell the different types by now.

And timber samples in the office .... I always tend to smell them when I get them :)

A friend of mine has two 220x35mm beams of meranti, more than 50y old, taken from his cousin's house. one is 3m long, the other 4.8m. Took the white paint off, random orbital at 40grit to get rid of the primer and get them prepped, so we can decide what to do with them. 

Proper, old, strong and well-grained meranti. The way they used to make it. 

My old man had a plank of imbuia that he was saving for something. I dunno what came of it, but I'd love to make something out of it if it's still there in the garage at my mom's place. 

Not all meranti is good meranti ... we have seen some shockers, and then some really decent timber coming to sites.

Most icon wood workshop I have ever been to belonged to a "seasoned" German and English gentleman combo (real gentlemen!) who had their premises a couple of meters from Parliament in CT.

It has been about 15 years since I was in that space, but I can still see it in my minds eye and can still smell the workshop.

Lock and Shultz (spelling) were exceptional joiners!

I love going to sites where we are specifying timbers when the guys are working ... you can smell the different types by now.

And timber samples in the office .... I always tend to smell them when I get them :)

Literally everything I hand to my wife to look at after I have finished turning goes straight to her nose.

If she likes the smell then she likes the piece!

I had quite a lot of eucalyptus at one stage and that met with much approval. One of the pieces was a turned lampshade so when the bulb warms up that eucalyptus scent starts permeating the room.

Where where where ???   

:w00t:

Some of my Coivid projects are eventually getting done

One thing about a Cruiser with 370,000km on the clock, every panel at the back is asymmetrical 

I have just completed designing something similar for my bakkie in Sketchup and now I am busy costing the project to see where it will end. So far, it is hovering at just over R2800.00, but will likely end at around R3500 or thereabouts. It wont be as flashy as some of the stuff on Safari world or 4x4 centre, but it also is not going to whack me R20k.

I despise Meranti.

Don't ask. (Maybe do, a real sopstorie)

In Std 6 & 7 at Rondebosch in woodwork we used Meranti as a stock wood for all practice joints etc.Our models were funded out of our own(parents) pockets.My favourite was Philippine Mahogany.

I have just completed designing something similar for my bakkie in Sketchup and now I am busy costing the project to see where it will end. So far, it is hovering at just over R2800.00, but will likely end at around R3500 or thereabouts. It wont be as flashy as some of the stuff on Safari world or 4x4 centre, but it also is not going to whack me R20k.

One of our local steel merchants (Steel and Pipes for Africa) are agents for Connect-it fittings. They look like they could make life easy.

http://steelandpipes.co.za/connect-it-connectors/

Hout mense!

My kids want a bunk bed, I want some new tools. 

What is the view on those pocket hole jigs? They look pretty nifty! Looking at the Kreg one, thoughts?

Also looking at a small router to make the edges lekker. - Saw a "mini bosch blue one" any thoughts?

I already have a circular saw and some chizzles and plane. 

Was thinking building a bunk bed may be rad, will pop into my wood place to check out some pine prices.