So, how was the wind?

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a6c9ef2af10e04c10afe11e8e25eaf54.jpg

Police told us they heard was moved and protesters moved. That's why they suggested we not go over ou kaapse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which tells me they targeted the race. The City must get behind the main instigators of this, else next year we will have the same happening.

Which tells me they targeted the race. The City must get behind the main instigators of this, else next year we will have the same happening.

Perhaps the city should FIRST get behind efforts to help the fire victims out?

There will always be trouble makers and they must be caught! But the victims don't need to be ignored because of this.

Perhaps the city should FIRST get behind efforts to help the fire victims out?

There will always be trouble makers and they must be caught! But the victims don't need to be ignored because of this.

He is not saying to turn a blind eye to the victims.

This is a serious threat to the future hosting of the event. Imagine the revenue that the city will lose out on if people don't feel safe to ride this event in future.

This is a serious threat to the future hosting of the event. Imagine the revenue that the city will lose out on if people don't feel safe to ride this event in future.

Dakar race is a perfect example of what can happen if the problems aren't sorted out. Edited by Cacey

Safety first. There are many thousands more that need to be safe than the few cyclists practicing a very first world hobby. Good choice by organizers taking the collective safety into account rather the the "me first" approach most people tend to take   :thumbup:

So no need to to be aghast about a gust that blew the 'Argus' away ;) 

This potential lost revenue is extactly why the city WILL go after the instigators.... the investigation is not the part that we need to worry about. City has plenty of motive to get to the bottom of it.

The wind at the start was not the only issue.

Emergency services would have had their hands full on the Hout Bay side of Chappies, and then again down towards the 12 Apostles Hotel. The crosswinds there are something else.

And that is if fires and protests did have any effect to the riders along the already shortened route

I feel for the fire victims and all must be done to help them.

That being said, this country is held hostage by individuals' illegal barracading and protests of popular routes. Only this week Gautengers endured 3hr delays around ORT airport, Boksburg town was a no go zone, and Pretoria barracaded by trucks. Now this.

It's fair to say Joe Public is now gatvol.

And perhaps a rant on the wrong thread, but it needs to be said.

Feeling better, thanks

Edited by Nettie R

:-)

Nee man! I love South - Africa. And if I can't ride like a flandrien, then maybe I should drink like a Belgian :lol:

If you can find any decent beer to drink that is, I am afraid you have been spoilt at home.

Although I believe there are some tasty craft beers on-tap now at the more discerning establishments.

Otherwise, here's a secret for sunny windy CT days: Clifton beaches will be wind-free, but the water will still be very cold.

Edited by kosmonooit

Now I see the reason why the vent was cancelled - black hill -as said a few min ago on the other thread below:

Here goes and this was my started of my 34 Cycle tour so now what I have to my 50th at 61years of age and not 60! I also was stopped at Tokai Bridge (end freeway) more or less 1st man of @ group.

What should have the Cape Town Cycle organizers done?

1. At the start of my group, remember $ was 8 min ahead - 3rd group off, they should have moved the whole group forward. I personally did move forward, way easier then the rest, as I had an interview been moved ahead of the ropes. While walking forward alone, I even walk past David Bellairs and shook his hand and carried on man alone to the point where the riders from the other side start came to our side start. If the whole group were allowed too - apparently the start marshals were been quite insistent about not allowing riders to follow me - the idea should have carried through all the groups. If this was the course of the event been cancelled then the Cycle tour may still have happened. At the end of the freeway the wind was not bad at all.

2. We now live in a way different country / world to what we use too. After the short 47km route, I on the hub made comments that this should always be the cycle tour route - somebody else who know how to find old post can try find them. I am now changing that statement that this route should always be the possible route of the cycle tour - and if they have a long route and a short route Cape Town cycle tour on the day that's fine. If thing in the south get bad then everyone rides the short route - easy to change even 15 min before the start possible even after the start has taken place. I not saying that then people will not try and burn tires on the freeway - but I think the police could possible control this quite well.

I do really believe that what happened today could have been avoided and was even kind of predictable to happen at some point. Maybe the start mats should even only be on the free way - all that is need is a start timer for the groups. remember the 1st Cycle tour started at the castle. Thus I do believe the Cape Town cycle tour possible should consider offering every participant a full refund on their entries. But why should charities suffer due to the lack of foresight by the cycling bodies representative at the Cape Town cycle tour?I wait for all the details of exactly why the event was stopped - windy weather cannot be the final argument!

Protest action can be sorted out. But it is and will always be a risk.

Issues surrounding fire cannot be sorted out.

It is what it is.

Pfffffft as if you have any authority on fires.... ????????????

;)

Cyclo sportif No 1 next weekend at Malmesbury - 109km - wonder what YR.no has to say about that.