Anyone using Zwift?

6 stages of TdZ done. 

Watched GPLama do Stage 7 the other day. Jungle route not in the good books with a lot of riders. 

Gravel bike or MTB?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 stages of TdZ done. 

Watched GPLama do Stage 7 the other day. Jungle route not in the good books with a lot of riders. 

Gravel bike or MTB?

The MTB is around 20 seconds faster than the gravelbike on one lap of the Jungle Circuit. The S-Works Epic is 1 sec faster than the Scott Spark RC

Edit: I see there is a Trek Super Caliber now that beats both the S-Works and the Scott!

Edited by JohanDiv

I still want to see someone start the 5km tar lead-in with a road bike, drop the MTB'ers on the start line, and as soon as you hit the dirt, bring up the pairing screen to come to a sudden stop, swap road bike for MTB, and carry on with the MTB for the rest of the race. Should loose around 20-30 seconds standing still, but overall might beat or come close to all out MTB.

I still want to see someone start the 5km tar lead-in with a road bike, drop the MTB'ers on the start line, and as soon as you hit the dirt, bring up the pairing screen to come to a sudden stop, swap road bike for MTB, and carry on with the MTB for the rest of the race. Should loose around 20-30 seconds standing still, but overall might beat or come close to all out MTB.

Cool idea.

Best to practice the bike change until it is smooth. You would rather want to emulate Pogacar than Roglic on the bike change...

on this route you lose less by just starting with the MTB. its not even 2km before the gravel starts, rather just work a bit harder on the first 2km on the MTB and pass guys as soon as you hit the gravel.

I did the 2 lap ride before the TTT last night. I started slowly and then just kept a nice ave power. Went onto the gravel around 200th place, and passed 150 guys in less than a lap. I finished 20th.

If it is another type of route, that starts at the beach, heads to the jungle and finishes at the beach again, then a switch over can work, but the MTB is only about 1 min faster than a road bike on the loop, so the 2x30sec changeovers does make it difficult. Unless you maybe start on a gravelbike and do only one change leaving the jungle.

I just rode an MTB from the start on stage 7. Could not believe how many people remained on road bikes. We lapped a surprising number of peeps on our second lap already... and thereafter it got messy. Had to judge by closing speed whether it's somebody on your lap or not.

Just putting out some feelers here...

My Cat B ZRL team is doing pretty well in our division. I've finished 1st, 1st, 2nd in the 3 points races but we seem to always screw the pooch in the TTTs. So despite winning each of the points races we're only 4th in the league, about 4 points off top spot.

Part of our problem is that there are only 6 of us available at any one time so on TTT day we cobble together a team.

Another problem is that I'm not built for TT, I'm light and while my wkg is good my raw wattage is not amazing

Is anyone interested in helping out a struggling team? I'm talking to the heavy wattage monsters who don't meet the 4W/kg requirement for Cat A. We generally try and hold 5W/kg on the front for 30s-1 minute.

We have a DS who coordinates everything via Discord which is very handy.

Drop me a PM with your ZwiftPower profile if you're interested in lending a helping hand!

Oh, we race at 20:18 on Tuesday with an 8 minute delay

Did 2 distances of stage 7 on the gravel bike. And let me tell you, the MTB would not have made a difference to me. I got dumped after the fist lap, each time, and rode solo all the way to the finish. Today, for the first time I used a laptop, with HDMI cable to the tv, and like a true chop I did not plug in the charger. 

Laptop went into powersave mode 5km before the end....could not finish the ride as it disconnected from the kickr.

Anyhoo... i have stage 3 to do during make-up week, and I'm not looking forward...

You're a big girl's blouse :-)

We're riding gravel on Sunday.....

I've seen Copenhagen's "gravel".  Not exactly Roof-of-Africa stuff now, is it......

It's probably more technical riding down Germiston's potholed riddled streets than Danish cobble  :clap:

I've seen Copenhagen's "gravel". Not exactly Roof-of-Africa stuff now, is it......

It's probably more technical riding down Germiston's potholed riddled streets than Danish cobble :clap:

Indeed. It's mostly gravel light over here but wow there are millions of trails all over the place. Gravel travel heavan over here :-) Next time you're here I will show you....

Anyhoo... i have stage 3 to do during make-up week, and I'm not looking forward...

I've got stage 1-3 to make do as I missed them with illness. Stage 3 making me naar  :wacko:

Also did stage 7 yesterday on the Scott Spark. Weirdly i had a permanent dropout, right from beginning to the end I was the only on the course, even in the start chute. I might ride it again tomorrow, I really like the jungle route.

I also have to make up stage 3.

So random question. If I use a power meter on my bike instead of the trainers power while riding on Zwift, do I still need to calibrate the trainer (spin down)?

So random question. If I use a power meter on my bike instead of the trainers power while riding on Zwift, do I still need to calibrate the trainer (spin down)?

So you have a smart trainer and a PM on your bike?