Anyone using Zwift?

I'm into week 3 now of the 3 Run 13.1 Plan and the GF cycling plan.

Sh1ts definitely getting real now - I can still manage the run but the cycling is getting a bit tough now. Battled to do the 2hr ride on Sunday

My riding suffered too when I started moving from 5/10Km runs to the HM. Three runs per week, 2 IDT rides and a long outdoor ride. Luckily

I’m over that big and can focus on riding more and jogging once a week.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you have a smart trainer and a PM on your bike?

Yes, Wahoo Kickr Core (from yesterday, before that wheel on Tacx Bushido), and Garmin Vector power meter pedals.

In my mind the spin down should not be necessary as I am not using the trainer power measurement, but I do wonder if the spin down plays a role in the trainer resistance control.

Yes, Wahoo Kickr Core (from yesterday, before that wheel on Tacx Bushido), and Garmin Vector power meter pedals.

In my mind the spin down should not be necessary as I am not using the trainer power measurement, but I do wonder if the spin down plays a role in the trainer resistance control.

I tried riding Zwift with my Stages as my power reading, controlling the Smart IDT... The issue was that it wasn't as responsive as having the IDT doing all of the heavy lifting. Especially on rolling sections like Titans Grove, the lag was irritating.

Disclaimer: I ride a Computrainer, so the Kickrs might behave better in this regard.

Spindown will have an effect on the trainer’s responsiveness and feel.

if you are looking for consistency in power training, and using the baseline of only one powermeter, I think you may get frustrated when using the pedals on Zwift.

i would rather do an FTP on the trainer, and use that with Zwift, especially if you are going to do workouts in Zwift (brought in from trainingpeaks)

The FTP on your Pedals, tested outside will be different to that of the kickr. 

so Pedals FTP for outside, and Kickr FTP for inside. 

My riding suffered too when I started moving from 5/10Km runs to the HM. Three runs per week, 2 IDT rides and a long outdoor ride. Luckily

I’m over that big and can focus on riding more and jogging once a week.

Yup I've called time on the Grand Fondo.  Had a shocking TTT on Thursday night and my 5km TT for the 3 13.1 Plan where they use that pace for the rest of the plan going forward was also a disaster.

So time for a reset.

Disclaimer: I ride a Computrainer, so the Kickrs might behave better in this regard.

Good Morning,

Would there be any sort of negatives using a CT on the Zwift platform? (latest controller firmware is up to date, using CT puck as cadence)

Been considering this for years, just haven't bit the bullet.

Good Morning,

Would there be any sort of negatives using a CT on the Zwift platform? (latest controller firmware is up to date, using CT puck as cadence)

Been considering this for years, just haven't bit the bullet.

Zwift is the only remaining platform that supports Computrainer natively(ie. you plug it into the laptop/pc and it just works, no workaround required)

I am very happy with it.

It is a Wheel-on trainer, so you make peace with the sequence of warming up for 10mins before you completely trust the power numbers.

If you keep the tyre pressure the same and turn the resistance knob the same amount every time you may even be able to ride without a roll down if you don't mind a bit drift in readings and just doing a cruise or recovery ride.

Yup I've called time on the Grand Fondo.  Had a shocking TTT on Thursday night and my 5km TT for the 3 13.1 Plan where they use that pace for the rest of the plan going forward was also a disaster.

So time for a reset.

It's actually been quite interesting - with my Wife being a coach she usually does some form of Training Program for me - especially when we're full-on racing.  But with no real goals, I've been following the Zwift stuff.  Did all three the ZA's and now the 3 13.1 Plan and the Grand Fondo plan.  When I go onto Training Peaks and look at my Fatigue vs Fitness vs Form charts, even though I'm doing each Zwift session by the book and getting all the stars and working in a rest day my fitness is actually decreasing.  I was really surprised.

Just goes to show I guess - you can follow all these on-line programs and sure they will get you to a certain level, but nothing beats a personalized one.

Zwift is the only remaining platform that supports Computrainer natively(ie. you plug it into the laptop/pc and it just works, no workaround required)

I am very happy with it.

It is a Wheel-on trainer, so you make peace with the sequence of warming up for 10mins before you completely trust the power numbers.

If you keep the tyre pressure the same and turn the resistance knob the same amount every time you may even be able to ride without a roll down if you don't mind a bit drift in readings and just doing a cruise or recovery ride.

I am very happy with it.

Perf Pro work 100% on the CT,but it is only for training like TR.

Perf Pro work 100% on the CT,but it is only for training like TR.

True, there is still that.

I  meant to say it is the only one of the Modern Online training platforms that support my Computrainer.

There is a PerfPro Emulator, costed out to about R600, that would make your CT compatible with the rest of the platforms. But you will also need to make sure you have two Ant+ dongles. So it sets you back a bit to get that functionality.

https://perfprostudio.com/CTSmart.aspx

Edited by Vetplant

I am very happy with it.

Thank you, Vetplant. 

Have previously researched this topic in-depth, and have gained much information from various (international) websites.

However, these articles were all several years old (& who knows if still applicable after all the latest Zwift s/w patches and updates etc are run), so hugely appreciate your response in giving current and true 'real-time' feedback here from a local South African CT user's perspective.  :thumbup:

Am a big CompuTrainer fan, and it is inspiring to see the original old-skool, bullet-proof, mid-80's indoor cycling originator of yore, working seamlessly together with today's modern leading-edge Zwift 3D multi-user technology - USB serial-port wires and all. >>  :)

Edited by silversonic

Thank you, Vetplant.

Have previously researched this topic in-depth, and have gained much information from various (international) websites.

However, these articles were all several years old (& who knows if still applicable after all the latest Zwift s/w patches and updates etc are run), so hugely appreciate your response in giving current and true 'real-time' feedback here from a local South African CT user's perspective. :thumbup:

Am a big CompuTrainer fan, and it is inspiring to see the original old-skool, bullet-proof, mid-80's indoor cycling originator of yore, working seamlessly together with today's modern leading-edge Zwift 3D multi-user technology - USB serial-port wires and all. >> :)

You are most welcome.

I have only owned mine for 2 years now, but it has been absolutely rock solid. I can see it lasting a lifetime.

I prefer the direct wired approach, no connection dropouts. :)

I see they finally added the hard-wired option to the Kickr 5, getting there... ;)

Just goes to show I guess - you can follow all these on-line programs and sure they will get you to a certain level, but nothing beats a personalized one.

I've been doing "free" programs for years and as you say they only take you so far and then starts to drop off.

since having a coach my fitness and (more importantly) fatigue is managed to a tee.

I also find that even without goals just having someone looking over my shoulder is motivation enough.

someone please save me. I'm using the Kickr Core with Zwift - if I use my Dell, the app freezes constantly, requiring a shutdown and restart. If i use a mac, its perfect? 

Any ideas?