Anyone using Zwift?

Ok, so I've read page 1-3 and now page 7 of this discussion, so if someone already mentioned what I'm about to say then I'm sorry for repeating it  :D

I've never used Zwift and do not plan to ever do so but, in my humble opinion: Download Sufferfest App onto Apple or Windows, pay the 10 AUS $ per month +/- R134.00pm after the 7 day trial and forget about high data charges. You can download the videos or stream them and it works a treat  ;).

It works great with ANT+ dongles or just a normal "dumb trainer". It tells you where your power and cadence should be at any given moment. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question if i buy n classic trainer thats not on the zwift list and my wattage is capped at 400w how bog would the impact be?

Quick question if i buy n classic trainer thats not on the zwift list and my wattage is capped at 400w how bog would the impact be?

If you plan on doing races then it would suck significantly as the first minute of a race is well above 400W. If you plan on doing intervals with power below 400W you should be fine

to hijack the thread, is R4k about the right ball park figure for a cycleops fluid 2 second hand ?

EDIT:

I see the sartori smart is going for R4k new .. so how does one choose ?

to hijack the thread, is R4k about the right ball park figure for a cycleops fluid 2 second hand ?

EDIT:

Fluid 2 isn't Smart, is it?

EDIT:

Fluid 2 any where between R 2000 and R 3000 check the classifieds and it is not a smart trainer but you can use it with Trainerroad not sure about Zwift

Fluid 2 isn't Smart, is it?

me be clueless with this stuff, so asking the guys who know their stuff..

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/tacx-t2400-satori-smart

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/265346-cycleops-fluid-2/

The Mrs rides a good old fashioned RAVX magentic trainer. She watches greys anatomy for 45 minutes. I would like to improve her experience and let her get more out of the training, yet at the same time be able to enjoy a episode or two while unwinding from the day and getting fit.

Ok, so I've read page 1-3 and now page 7 of this discussion, so if someone already mentioned what I'm about to say then I'm sorry for repeating it :D.

I've never used Zwift and do not plan to ever do so but, in my humble opinion: Download Sufferfest App onto Apple or Windows, pay the 10 AUS $ per month +/- R134.00pm after the 7 day trial and forget about high data charges. You can download the videos or stream them and it works a treat ;).

It works great with ANT+ dongles or just a normal "dumb trainer". It tells you where your power and cadence should be at any given moment.

But does it " sufferfest thing "satisfy the primal instinct to druk others in a race, or die trying?

What is your FTP? Take a look at the interval programs as well that work on %. If that then remains under 400 you don't have a problem.

me be clueless with this stuff, so asking the guys who know their stuff..

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/tacx-t2400-satori-smart

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/265346-cycleops-fluid-2/

The Mrs rides a good old fashioned RAVX magentic trainer. She watches greys anatomy for 45 minutes. I would like to improve her experience and let her get more out of the training, yet at the same time be able to enjoy a episode or two while unwinding from the day and getting fit.

If you can stretch it a touch then these would be better as they are "proper" smart trainer in that it adjusts resistance automatically.

http://asgthestore.com/accessories/bicycle-accessories/turbo-trainers/bkool-smart-go-pre-order

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/tacx-trainer-vortex-smart-t2180

Out of the two you suggested the tacx as it transmits power so no need to use the cadence/speed sensor and zpower. If you can pick up a secondhand cycleops powerbeam that would be great too.

If you can stretch it a touch then these would be better as they are "proper" smart trainer in that it adjusts resistance automatically.

http://asgthestore.com/accessories/bicycle-accessories/turbo-trainers/bkool-smart-go-pre-order

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/tacx-trainer-vortex-smart-t2180

Out of the two you suggested the tacx as it transmits power so no need to use the cadence/speed sensor and zpower. If you can pick up a secondhand cycleops powerbeam that would be great too.

Thanks Brad

OK, so the trainer is for Mrs Slowbee. Do you need to buy a monthly subscription service? Or can you run these units without those services (yes I realise that she will miss the immersive experience)? Can she set a steady "flat: course and make adjustments on the fly as and when she wants as opposed to a course? Can we choose a course? So say we have a garmin course we have ridden that she enjoys, can we load this onto the unit and she rides that?

Also, would you still be able to use these units if Mr Eskom is not home and the lights are out?

Thanks Brad

OK, so the trainer is for Mrs Slowbee. Do you need to buy a monthly subscription service? Or can you run these units without those services (yes I realise that she will miss the immersive experience)? Can she set a steady "flat: course and make adjustments on the fly as and when she wants as opposed to a course? Can we choose a course? So say we have a garmin course we have ridden that she enjoys, can we load this onto the unit and she rides that?

Also, would you still be able to use these units if Mr Eskom is not home and the lights are out?

Subscription is month to month to most of the apps at around USD10 per month each. You usually get the first month free so you can try first and see which one you like most. Zwift is a preset map with various routes on it. There are 3 maps... London, Watopia and Richmond. These change according to a preset calendar. As far as riding in "constant resistance mode" (or manually controlled) goes, its certainly more fun than just riding on the IDT. Add in group rides and races and it becomes a lot more fun than just sitting on the IDT.

As far as I know the only smart trainer which is safe from Mr Eskom is the tacx Bushido Smart. Of the other 3 the fluid will be safe. But remember she needs a speed and cadence sensor... So factor that cost in when choosing.

This is a nice list of the trainers and their capabilities.

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/203152565--Info-What-trainers-does-Zwift-support-What-do-I-need-to-ride-?mobile_site=true

Ok, so a quick google shows that you can import your own route into Zwift, a bit of effort but possible.

I wonder if the other subscription services allow it?

The Tacx software allows you to do this easily (upgrade version), which is very cool.

The main issue is watching Greys Anatomy while riding away. Mrs Slowbee is not one to watch a screen with a bunch of other riders while actually sitting on the veranda shouting at me to fetch cold water and a dry towel :)

Ok, so a quick google shows that you can import your own route into Zwift, a bit of effort but possible.

I wonder if the other subscritption services allow it?

Can the Tacx software allow you to do it ?

Please link to importing route into Zwift. Not sure it is possible... You can convert a previous fit file (with power) into a zwift workout and then load it on a workout, and ride it in erg mode, but it may mean that you're pushing hard while riding down a hill in zwift (zwift terrain won't line up to the "route"). Also your route will be based on recorded power not on recorded gradient. I think the software which you would be after is actually BKool. I haven't tried it but apparently you can recreate courses based on previous GPS gradient data.

Then I know in Cyclops Virtual Trainer you can select rides from anywhere in the world and ride those with a video of the route as recorded by the person who uploaded the course. Again.... All needs a smart trainer to be truely immersive.

I would say that the two best options for something like the fluid or satori smart would be either zwift or sufferfest. Trainer road is good for interval training but you have that functionality in zwift and sufferfest as well.