Anyone using Zwift?

But does it " sufferfest thing "satisfy the primal instinct to druk others in a race, or die trying?

Sufferfest makes you monster strong, I think it compares with Cadence Cycling studio when done correctly. Send me a PM and I'll drop you a WeTransfer with a video to try out at home without any costs  :thumbup:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so a quick google shows that you can import your own route into Zwift, a bit of effort but possible.

I wonder if the other subscription services allow it?

The Tacx software allows you to do this easily (upgrade version), which is very cool.

The main issue is watching Greys Anatomy while riding away. Mrs Slowbee is not one to watch a screen with a bunch of other riders while actually sitting on the veranda shouting at me to fetch cold water and a dry towel :)

Sufferfest has what they call "free rides" or "cadence builders" which doesn't have any settings, you can put the resistance at the same level for the entire 20-40min ride, perfect for Mrs Slowbee  :thumbup: .

Remember one thing: A Smart trainer works independently from the likes of Trainer Road and Sufferfest and all the other apps. If you say for arguments sake go for a Tacx trainer you can just ride off the Tacx app and leave it at that. You don't have to pay subscriptions to a third party app if you don't feel like doing so. The main difference between a normal "dumb trainer" and a "smart trainer" part from the obvious is the fact that the trainer provides you with data. With said data you can analyze your ride and automatically sync with the likes of Strava. If Mrs Bee doesn't have a need for all the above then I would suggest looking at the entry level "smart trainer" in the Tacx range: Satori Smart. The Satori trainer provides a total resistance of 950W for 1 minute and has a manual resistance adjuster. You can get one of them for around R2k second hand. 

Sufferfest has what they call "free rides" or "cadence builders" which doesn't have any settings, you can put the resistance at the same level for the entire 20-40min ride, perfect for Mrs Slowbee  :thumbup: .

Remember one thing: A Smart trainer works independently from the likes of Trainer Road and Sufferfest and all the other apps. If you say for arguments sake go for a Tacx trainer you can just ride off the Tacx app and leave it at that. You don't have to pay subscriptions to a third party app if you don't feel like doing so. The main difference between a normal "dumb trainer" and a "smart trainer" part from the obvious is the fact that the trainer provides you with data. With said data you can analyze your ride and automatically sync with the likes of Strava. If Mrs Bee doesn't have a need for all the above then I would suggest looking at the entry level "smart trainer" in the Tacx range: Satori Smart. The Satori trainer provides a total resistance of 950W for 1 minute and has a manual resistance adjuster. You can get one of them for around R2k second hand. 

Bud, maybe start a Sufferfest Thread.

This thread is for ZWIFT.

I can see that you are enjoying Sufferfest and thats great, you cant really compare the two to each other though.

As I said, it seems like a bit of effort - but is possible. But to be honest I may as well have been reading french with half your reply, did not understand half of it! :blush: :blush:

https://whatsonzwift.com/gpx-to-zwift-workout/

http://kb.zwiftriders.com/real-world-to-zwift-workout

Hey Slowbee

Check out DCRainmaker for a comprehensive summary of trainer apps out there, what they can and can't do and all the rest.  https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/trainer-apps-guide.html

By the sounds of things, your (her) requirements are pretty standard.  Like said previously, you may be able to get away with the standard app that comes with your trainer (e.g. Tacx App) at no extra cost...

G

Thanks Brad

OK, so the trainer is for Mrs Slowbee. Do you need to buy a monthly subscription service? Or can you run these units without those services (yes I realise that she will miss the immersive experience)? Can she set a steady "flat: course and make adjustments on the fly as and when she wants as opposed to a course? Can we choose a course? So say we have a garmin course we have ridden that she enjoys, can we load this onto the unit and she rides that?

Also, would you still be able to use these units if Mr Eskom is not home and the lights are out?

Yes, you don't need to use a subscription service. Before I started with Zwift I used the Tacx Training App on my phone connected to the trainer and my Bluetooth HRM. When used with the Satori Smart (dumb) Trainer, you increase your power by either selecting a heavier gear, or using the resistance lever on the unit. For the most part I was able to get all my power zones without having to use the lever, and only using the gears. The Satori Smart also doesn't need an AC power source, so as long as your phone (or Garmin) has some life you can ride and still see your values.

http://i.imgur.com/k8f45ae.png

Ok, so a quick google shows that you can import your own route into Zwift, a bit of effort but possible.

I wonder if the other subscription services allow it?

The Tacx software allows you to do this easily (upgrade version), which is very cool.

The main issue is watching Greys Anatomy while riding away. Mrs Slowbee is not one to watch a screen with a bunch of other riders while actually sitting on the veranda shouting at me to fetch cold water and a dry towel :)

Yes, you can import your route to Zwift, but it doesn't quite work like that. You take an existing GPX file, set your intensity factor at which you would like to do the route, and then Zwift simulates what power zones you should be in for a set gradient. So basically, it looks like this

iOsVmqP.png

JbNz4A5.png

So on a fully smart trainer, with ERG mode, it will lock you in at a specific wattage according to the colours, which correspond with the gradients. On a dumb trainer, you'll need to self-adjust to the power levels required by the program.

Honestly, for the sake of keeping track of what's happening, I'd go with a Satori Smart. You adjust your gears to adjust your power, but you still get the benefit of having actual figures to work with and compare progress.

Yes, you don't need to use a subscription service. Before I started with Zwift...

That's a great post, makes alot more sense than my trying to explain it without pictures, Thanks Bertus!

SHucks guys you are all using language that is WAY above my pay grade ! This usually means I should not buy the product as I will not use it for any of its intended purposes!

Which suppliers are hubbers that I could call ?

Yes yes CWC are suppliers of Tacx, but they are well lets say not always a first choice. So who else?

SHucks guys you are all using language that is WAY above my pay grade ! This usually means I should not buy the product as I will not use it for any of its intended purposes!

Yes yes CWC are suppliers of Tacx, but they are well lets say not always a first choice. So who else?

Evobikes also does Tacx, and from what I've read they seem very very helpful

Great news that the link may have helped! Excited for a reportback.

As I've stated, using a new antstick helped me. But I changed to a different brand so it may be less sensitive to the USB power issue.

Sadly that didn't help, on my ride today the power signal from my Kickr dropped out for about a second or so.

Looks like it's time for a new Ant stick.

It was worth a try though!

Slowbee, where are you located?

in the south, way down south, like cape town south :)

Bummer, I was going to suggest that you borrow my Satori which is currently sitting in storage.

You could try Dennis at Sportsworld - http://www.sportsworld.co.za/contact-us 

Not sure if they have stock, but Dennis is always good for advice...

Cheers

Last question.

I am tending towards the tacx system, mainly because with the purchase of the advanced system and a google license, you can do your own routes.

Do you guys think this is worth it ? Remember, Mrs Slowbee is not wanting to look at a screen riding with others, she is wanting to simulate a road ride, while watching series.

In our chat last night, she kinda liked the idea of getting home at 8pm and getting on her bike for a ride to Stellenbosch and back, or to Kleinmond, or the atlantic seaboard etc or the 94.7 etc. She was not all the keen on Pyrenees or Alp type or those kinda routes.