MTB Rigid fork riders

Heel Drop

I am considering building a  carbon bike with a ENVE rigid carbon fork

Mainly to keep maintenance to a minimum. I have never ridden one so I would like some input from those that own a rigid fork MTB ?

For the current km's and riding I am doing I am looking at minimum time spend fixing the bike and more time riding

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will also be putting a carbon rigid fork on my steel single speed, can't comment on it yet, but I am looking forward to not losing power due to suspension bob on the big climbs!

Riding rigid is really fun. Improves your bike handling skills and one learns to find the best lines out on the trail. I've personally ridden both carbon and steel forks and IMO I would get a steel fork over a carbon fork.

Riding rigid is really fun. Improves your bike handling skills and one learns to find the best lines out on the trail. I've personally ridden both carbon and steel forks and IMO I would get a steel fork over a carbon fork.

+1. You need to sharpen up your skills or you eat gravel. Once you have ridden rigid, you realise how often your front shock saves your ass. Edited by Vetseun

I started riding an mtb with a rigid fork... pretty much all there was at the time... they are a tad more unforgiving to a bad line than suspension but they are fun to ride on most not too technical tracks.

Personally I would.make sure you have a set of carbon bars as well as a carbon fork and as high a volume front tire as you can fit to help as a pseudo suspension... saves the hands a bit..

Been riding rigid for years. 

Running an X-lite carbon fork and it has been faultless. Swapped out alu bars for a thompson carbon bar and thats made a difference to the wrists as well as always using ESI Chunky/ extra chunky just for that little bit extra! 

I ride anything, blue, green, black section doesnt matter, line choice and faith in your equipment! 

Had a rigid carbon fork on my mtb and found the feel to be very harsh. To the extent that my gravel bike on 30c tyres felt much,much more forgiving. Needless to say the shock went back on.

I've seen the more slender type of mtb rigid fork that resembles that of a road bike. I suspect that these might give a far more comfortable ride. If I'm not mistaken, I think you can pick up one at Redhub.

Lauf would be a nice option, just that it costs a fortune.

Edited by Jonesy

my first mtb was rigid from back to front - Kona Firemountain, with an awkwardly steep fork. (these Kona bikes were also fitted with the first Gripshift gear shifting back in the early 90's).

we raced down Fort Klapperkop on lookalike singletracks like hooligans, perhaps the only reason we survived no serious wrist fatigue/injuries or shoulder fractions was the stupidity factor was overshadowed by the sheer adrenaline and adventure.

today I am extremely glad mtb's are not like that anymore. 

i might consider a rigid fork on a 27.5+

I have a Surly KM fork on my bike with some wtb 2.3 tire. Rigid has changed my riding for the better. Love it. I also did it to save on maintaining the bike.

I am considering building a carbon bike with a ENVE rigid carbon fork

Mainly to keep maintenance to a minimum. I have never ridden one so I would like some input from those that own a rigid fork MTB ?

For the current km's and riding I am doing I am looking at minimum time spend fixing the bike and more time riding

Hubby has a Enve rigid fork on his singlespeed.. no hassles thus far and he has taken it places it shouldn't go. And boy it is a sexy fork.