[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

I live with family friends in Paarl. I will already be there for the ToGH(which personally was way more enjoyable than any CTCT I've done to date)

Petrol + toll = R3000

Food = R1000

So if I ignore the ToGH entry and take it as if was just the CTCT the entry fee is around 12%

Which isn't that massive, I rate mine to be in the single digit range, but priorities are different for everyone. I'm trying to justify this while planning a wedding for the end of April. Will see how much touristy things and wine tasting will be done this year.

I fear not much :thumbdown:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, I know this gets mentioned every year but do you find the R510 entry fee fair?

I don't and I won't be entering this year as I just can't afford it.

ACE = R53 per kilo

W2W = R25 per kilo

CTCT = R4 per kilo

#justenter #jurgensforthewin #ctctischeap

35 000 plus a whole lot of dudes that did not get an entry think so!

The international people on facebook who pay R1000 were jumping for joy this morning !

Anyway thanks for the opinions.

Unfortunately all races are becoming more expensive, and my yearly race budget is only so big(sponsor dad is no longer contributing), so while I think anything over R400 is ridiculous for a race there are some I just need to cut. CTCT 2018 being one of them.

Maybe 2019

I hear you, each to their own and all that - but I also prefer to spend my limited cycling budget on a range of experiences and not do the same thing year after year. If I didn't live in Cape Town I also won't do the CTCT every year.

Coming from Pretoria the weekend cost me and my wife about R 15k. Since we make a little holiday out of it, it makes the costs bearable. Next year will probably be a bit cheaper thanks to Disco's flight booster. R 4k extra to spend on wine :clap: (after the ctct of course) :drool:

Coming from Pretoria the weekend cost me and my wife about R 15k. Since we make a little holiday out of it, it makes the costs bearable. Next year will probably be a bit cheaper thanks to Disco's flight booster. R 4k extra to spend on wine :clap: (after the ctct of course) :drool:

Flight booster, rental car discount, hotel discount and then if you eat nanandos 20% back. Then buy your healthy goodies from Pick n Pay and some more cash back. 

Win win win. 

Everyone knows, you have to spend money to make money.

I live with family friends in Paarl. I will already be there for the ToGH(which personally was way more enjoyable than any CTCT I've done to date)

Petrol + toll = R3000

Food = R1000

So if I ignore the ToGH entry and take it as if was just the CTCT the entry fee is around 12%

so if you don't Argus you don't eat?

I am going to try again to ride my first CTCC. My flights and accommodation are booked for me and my support team (wife and 2 kids).

Unfortunately 2017 did not work out for me (my wife and kids enjoyed the trip, especially after they didn't have to stand in the wind and support me, and ending up at a wine farm instead).

I will try again this year, mainly because i haven't done it before. Lets hold thumbs for 2018.

Jurgens Smit, sorry but I can't really answer your question, as my costs for trying to get one CTCC behind my name has been way more than it should be (especially with the whole family coming along 2 years in a row).

Flight booster, rental car discount, hotel discount and then if you eat nanandos 20% back. Then buy your healthy goodies from Pick n Pay and some more cash back. 

Win win win. 

Since we fly down on the Friday, we only have half of Friday and Saturday to get cash back on healthy stuff. from after the race, the stuff becomes very unhealthy- it's like Christmas :D

It's all I do.

I don't ride the amashova, 947 is also getting steep but I have no travelling costs with that.

I completely agree with you wrt to the route, but I just think it is getting waay to risky to drop that for a non refundable entry and then whatever your travel expenses are for a race thats essentially been a flop 2 years in row.

I have done this race 26 times now and 2015 was the first time we had any sort of "issue" and tbh, what did you expect them to do? People lost houses and pets and it was a devastating event. The mere fact that we still had a race was enough for me. This year I will be the first to admit I was fuming and had my pitchfork out but once I calmed down and actually viewed the situation from another point of view, it was the right choice. I was one of the lucky few who got to the end of the blue route and yes the wind was ok but I would hate to have a crosswind down chappies or a rioter run me off my bike.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

Win win win. 

So, what you are saying is that the true sponsor of this event is actually Vitality?  :whistling: 

Since we fly down on the Friday, we only have half of Friday and Saturday to get cash back on healthy stuff. from after the race, the stuff becomes very unhealthy- it's like Christmas :D

Christmans is on the 25th of November this year FYI  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I am going to try again to ride my first CTCC. My flights and accommodation are booked for me and my support team (wife and 2 kids).

Unfortunately 2017 did not work out for me (my wife and kids enjoyed the trip, especially after they didn't have to stand in the wind and support me, and ending up at a wine farm instead).

I will try again this year, mainly because i haven't done it before. Lets hold thumbs for 2018.

Jurgens Smit, sorry but I can't really answer your question, as my costs for trying to get one CTCC behind my name has been way more than it should be (especially with the whole family coming along 2 years in a row).

You will enjoy it. worth every cent (if it's not cancelled) After 2015 burnt out, 2016 was absolutely awesome. So since 2017 was totally cancelled I predict 2018 will be the best race since inception. It's a pattern. :thumbup:

I have done this race 26 times now and 2016 was the first time we had any sort of "issue" and tbh, what did you expect them to do? People lost houses and pets and it was a devastating event. The mere fact that we still had a race was enough for me. This year I will be the first to admit I was fuming and had my pitchfork out but once I calmed down and actually viewed the situation from another point of view, it was the right choice. I was one of the lucky few who got to the end of the blue route and yes the wind was ok but I would hate to have a crosswind down chappies or a rioter run me off my bike.

I'm not blaming them, safety should be the number 1 priority when there are people involved. So good on them for making the unpopular choice.

I mean that it's something you have to consider when doing your planning.

Lets say they cancel the 94, there I lost R475, cancel the argus I lose 4k+.

I'm not there for a holiday, I go there to do the race. I can't afford to take a chance on something like that.

This year was different, I did the tour, so all I lost was the entry fee, my best mate flew down friday and back monday to do the race as well. That trip (guesthouses, food, flights, bike transport) set him back 7k. 

At this stage in my life the CTCT is a risk I'm not willing to take. My motives are entirely financially driven.

I hear you, each to their own and all that - but I also prefer to spend my limited cycling budget on a range of experiences and not do the same thing year after year. If I didn't live in Cape Town I also won't do the CTCT every year.

Probably agree with you with that, if I stayed in Gauteng I would not be so quick to sign up