[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Careful, the topic-police might be out on a limb......

Agreed, we really should get back to discussing the wind and the goodie bag. . . 

I find our current sub-topic rather flaccid. 

On topic, almost, Chappies will be closed to traffic completely from 9:30- 16:30 every day from 23 October to 1 December. (This is for re surfacing from the day pass all the way to the tunnel)

This is cool, no cars to tend with on chappies rides, bleak that you wont be able to go over to Noordehoek though. 

Will just have to enjoy Constania Nek.

On topic, almost, Chappies will be closed to traffic completely from 9:30- 16:30 every day from 23 October to 1 December. (This is for re surfacing from the day pass all the way to the tunnel)

This is cool, no cars to tend with on chappies rides, bleak that you wont be able to go over to Noordehoek though. 

Will just have to enjoy Constania Nek.

Time to come ride in the Overstrand platteland.

I have a serious question for the locals- just how bad is the water situation? Usually we came down and stay for the week after the CTCT and make a little holiday of it, but thought we would just come down for the weekend due to the water situation. You won't enjoy a holiday if you can't flush the toilet after every use or aren't allowed to shower or bath properly. I've also heard that they introduced "load shedding" with the water, is this true?

I did some calculations and even to come down only for the weekend, will cost me just shy of R 10 k. I can't justify this expense for a race, hence the little holiday.

I understand the situation and am willing to make some sacrifices like shower in 2 - 3 minutes with a bucket in the shower to catch the water to use in the garden or somewhere else. But wash in a basin or not being allowed to flush the toilet or "beurt water" is not going to work for me. Then I'll rather stay home and see you guys in 2019.

All being said, I really empathise with  you guys down there and hope the situation can be sorted quickly.

I have a serious question for the locals- just how bad is the water situation? ...........

At the moment we have no practical problems, but I think it is impossible to predict exactly where we are going to be by March next year.

Theoretically at least, we have enough water, if used sparingly now, to last us until about Argus time. If we get below average rainfall from now through summer and we do not restrict consumption seriously, then we'll run out by mid March 2018. Meaning that the City of Cape Town will not be able to supply piped water any more.

There are contingency plans in place. They are setting up local desalination plants to help. They are also busy converting at least 1 sewerage treatment plant to purify water well enough to re-use. Boreholes are getting drilled to supply critical installations like hospitals. These are supposed to be up and running early in 2018. Many private households are also putting in tanks, wells and boreholes to make them independent. Most guest houses and hotels are doing the same because their survival depend on it. My own business is putting in a borehole, simply because without water we would have to shut down completely.

Personally, I think the city will keep functioning well enough, but then, only time will tell.