[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

Don't feel guilty. Come. We need your money.

This is the city's biggest single tourist event and puts millions of rands into the local economy. The facebook crusaders just hate cyclists in general and this has given them more amo to throw at their keyboards and Ipads.

If day zero comes it will be because our government, local and national, is useless and local residents didn't take the threat to heart. Your presence here will have precisely fokkol effect on day zero*

*Don't you just love catchy marketing phrases that we can all start repeating to add to our hysteria?

Oh, I'm definitely coming, flew down for precisely 24h last year to only have them cancel it one me. . . Massive bummer! So I ain't missing it for the world this year.

As I have said, I am bringing as much water with in the car as we can, and I have already started training the fiance with the 2 min shower thing. She is not a fan haha

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have already started training the fiance with the 2 min shower thing. She is not a fan haha

It's actually not that bad. If she's clever (and you are a gentleman) she'll get you to shower first so you get the cold water.

Our method is as follows.

1. get in put shower on

2. Do a pirouette in the shower to get wet

3. Lather up using one of those sponge things. It's not a sponge as such. looks like a plastic flower. You know what I mean

4. rinse off.

I actually think you do a better job of cleaning yourself coz you really concentrate on washing everywhere instead of just standing under running water. We try to catch as much water as possible but between the 3 of us we don't even fill a bucket anymore.

It's actually not that bad. If she's clever (and you are a gentleman) she'll get you to shower first so you get the cold water.

Our method is as follows.

1. get in put shower on

2. Do a pirouette in the shower to get wet

3. Lather up using one of those sponge things. It's not a sponge as such. looks like a plastic flower. You know what I mean

4. rinse off.

I actually think you do a better job of cleaning yourself coz you really concentrate on washing everywhere instead of just standing under running water. We try to catch as much water as possible but between the 3 of us we don't even fill a bucket anymore.

^

|

This. You do clean better soaping with the water off.

Oh!!! Sorry for the Hijack BUT!

A plumber friend gave me a water and electricity saving tip. Turn your geyser down to your preferred shower temp. That way you don't waste water fiddling with the cold water to get it to the correct temp. We haven't used the cold water tap in months.

A plumber friend gave me a water and electricity saving tip. Turn your geyser down to your preferred shower temp. That way you don't waste water fiddling with the cold water to get it to the correct temp. We haven't used the cold water tap in months.

If you have a hand hold shower in the house - take the head off and use the pipe in a water container while waiting for the warm water - this is then can be used as drinking water!

What is amazing is that faced with a huge crises, SAFFAS always pitches up with 50 different solutions and ideas. love it!!

Much prefer the 50 different solutions and ideas to the sensationalism and general crazy jumping to conclusions of most people. Everyone should jump on the bandwagon of solutions and how to deal with the problem, rather than jumping on the political bandwagon of fear mongering and doomsday predictions. We have enough politicians , we definitely don't need anymore!

Next thing the Facebook tannies are gonna requesting that the tunnel be closed and only western capers allowed through, or build a wall trump-style to keep the rest of the country from coming and using all their water. . .

Much prefer the 50 different solutions and ideas to the sensationalism and general crazy jumping to conclusions of most people. Everyone should jump on the bandwagon of solutions and how to deal with the problem, rather than jumping on the political bandwagon of fear mongering and doomsday predictions. We have enough politicians , we definitely don't need anymore!

Next thing the Facebook tannies are gonna requesting that the tunnel be closed and only western capers allowed through, or build a wall trump-style to keep the rest of the country from coming and using all their water. . .

Now there's an idea.

And while we are at it, why not build the wall through a river at a point before it runs into the ocean, that way we can use the water before it becomes salty! But wait, won't that make it a dam...? :huh:

the problem with that idea is that as the hot water leaves the geyser cold water replaces it, so if you set it to say 35deg, then only the first bit it 35, the rest will keep dropping the more you use.

Could also be a good thing though, will mean shorter showers because now the water is to cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is damn time that geysers gets retired. You want to tell me humans have not been able to develop a device that heats the water up to a desired temp in seconds while flowing through the device? Maybe I should add this:  :whistling:

Now there's an idea.

And while we are at it, why not build the wall through a river at a point before it runs into the ocean, that way we can use the water before it becomes salty! But wait, won't that make it a dam...? :huh:

you need water first make it a dam

What I don't get is the "punitive pricing" It is still waaaay to cheap.

Damn, if I had thought about this and was not a concerned citizen I could have saved a lot of money. We just did some ripping out of grass and installing stone ground coverings. During this process we used 5Kl and paid R 2,500.00 for delivery of non potable water for the construction.

However if I had used potable water it would have cost me, assuming I already used the 10.5 Kl for human consumption, R 385.00 

What they need to do is make the cost of water over the allocated volume way MORE expensive that the cost of water delivery. Until they do that there will be NO motivation for the large users to save. 

Fk how stupid can government, any government, be. They need to recover lost revenue due to people using less water and to cover additional expenses and they do such stupid things, go figure.

The big thing here is people have never ever known the cost of water.

Giving 6kl of it away for free every month. wtf? we're the 30th driest country in the world

The only reason to save water has been altruistic.

slap a price on it, and finally people will respect it.

It is still too cheap.

post-1830-0-54719300-1516363329_thumb.png

Do the math sandro (I see it is time for Shebeen to post his water usage graph on Argus day again) - cancelling the CTCT is not going to extend Day Zero by even a few minutes. It would be purely a emotional & symbolic gesture. But a well meaning gesture that is going to hurt the city economically badly, if we are going to do gestures rather do something positive. 

And the reality is we don't need gestures&miracles, we need the middle classes in the suburbs to stick to their restrictions then we will be fine.

post-1830-0-45370600-1517236995_thumb.png

people don't have a clue how water works.

It will be interesting to see how many of these BAN THE ARGUS people buy flowers on valentines day.

I have some similar devices Triton (https://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/power-showers) which I got in the Uk and I got a relatively cheap speedheat unit (http://www.speedheat.net/) . I think I need to hook the speed heat unit to my borehole water. Thank for reminding me I had it!

Problem is they use a lot of electricity so I suppose with my solar system will need to shower mid day!