[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

Book it. The glass is (still) half full :)

Hotel, bike transport, car rental all booked. Thanks for convincing me [emoji106], your post was influential.

I am gonna bring 4x 2 litres Valpre bottles with me for the weekend, to help stay as close to zero impact as i can. I just hope Kulula doesn’t gooi me ***.

I have been practicing showering really frugally.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am honestly shocked that this thread seems to follow the same pattern on a almost daily basis. If you can't be bothered to read the previous discussions on the thread related to the issue, and you can't be bothered to listen to the facts and come in to the argument with a closed or emotionally driven mind, please think a couple of hundred times before posting the same argument that has been rehashed, that you somehow think you have attacked from an angle no one has thought of before.

The organisers are doing there best to mitigate our impact, and based on most replies, most people seem to be aware of the problem and are bringing there own water down and practicing the quick shower thing, so it's not like we are going to be wasting water Zoolander style, willy nilly spraying it everywhere.

I think we need to create a separate thread for people to read before posting here, so we don't have to read the same argument over and over again

.................I think we need to create a separate thread for people to read before posting here, so we don't have to read the same argument over and over again

:D  Funny that. Perhaps The Bikehub needs a special thread for people who don't read at all before posting, period. A "shoot your ignorant mouth off  thread? Or a "premature poster" thread? OK, now I'm jut a bit mean.  :D

I am honestly shocked that this thread seems to follow the same pattern on a almost daily basis. If you can't be bothered to read the previous discussions on the thread related to the issue, and you can't be bothered to listen to the facts and come in to the argument with a closed or emotionally driven mind, please think a couple of hundred times before posting the same argument that has been rehashed, that you somehow think you have attacked from an angle no one has thought of before.

The organisers are doing there best to mitigate our impact, and based on most replies, most people seem to be aware of the problem and are bringing there own water down and practicing the quick shower thing, so it's not like we are going to be wasting water Zoolander style, willy nilly spraying it everywhere.

I think we need to create a separate thread for people to read before posting here, so we don't have to read the same argument over and over again

Social media mirrors real life. People participate not to understand YOUR point of view, they participate to voice THEIR point of view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Social media mirrors real life. People participate not to understand YOUR point of view, they participate to voice THEIR point of view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed, usually at total disregard for logic and fact.

I'm just tired of being made to feel guilty about wanting to come to Cape Town, as if I'm going to steal all the water. . . . Go tell the people in Bantry Bay and Clifton to stop watering their massive lawns before you tell me to not come and take water from you. . .

Those are the problem, in my opinion.

City of Cape Town is about 3.7million people. At 25L pp/d, that is something like 92.5million liters per day? IF everyone sticks to the limit.

The organisers' overestimated amount of water for participants and supporters, for 2.5 days is 2million liters. Or about 800000 per day.

With all the measures being put into place by the CTCT organizers, and with people driving down bringing down hopefully enough water for at least their drinking, the CTCT and its participants and supporters should have basically no impact on the water situation.

HOWEVER, if we shoo away all tourists (CTCT and otherwise), the jobs of around 300000 people are on the line (according to the numbers from the video). The water situation won't improve, but the ability of those people to afford bottled water, or transport to go fetch water, will go out the window.

To me (and fine, yes, I am biased, I want to ride), looking at the numbers makes me think cancelling the event will be far worse for the City than holding it.

BUT... the Facebook hysteria and misinformation might well see it cancelled.

Facebook hysteria also said that if Trump wins the USD will tank and there will be a nuclear war.

Edited by Moridin

Did CT not host a big Rugby 7s tournament recently? Was there unrest and condemnation about the influx of tourists then? Can't remember seeing any.

Good Lord I don't live in Cape Town but if you guys want it so badly and are afraid to lose the tourism revenue, then enjoy it. 

It does however make sense as to how the problem has been allowed to become so serious. 

Out.

Anyhoo, back to more interesting things - I wonder how they'll tweak the layout of the expo this year. Last year was better than the never-ending one-way tunnel (in my opinion), but there is never enough seating for people at the food areas.

And... I wonder what the weather will be like... ;)

Just kidding of course - I've ridden in rain, wind, heat waves and perfect days, the weather is the least of my worries

The next big question that begs is: I wonder what my seeding will be.....

I'm going to guess I'll be somewhere between 6:30 and 7:00.

I did even less seeding races last year than usual, just the Herald and the PPA Mangaung one (where I got caught up in a crash), so my seeding won't be brilliant.

That's fine. I just want to finish number 21 safely.

In 2000 they messed up my seeding and I started in M, two or three groups behind my dad. That was probably my most enjoyable race.

Anyone from Joburg going down by car/train?

I am only flying down on Friday Morning and back Sunday afternoon but my folks are there from Tuesday 6th till Wednesday 14th. We want to take some water with for coffee/drinks/shaving etc but thinking like 50 litres and not sure what the airlines will charge us. We really want to make as little an impact on water usage as possible.

We can obviously discuss a transport fee.

Agreed, usually at total disregard for logic and fact.

I'm just tired of being made to feel guilty about wanting to come to Cape Town, as if I'm going to steal all the water. . . . Go tell the people in Bantry Bay and Clifton to stop watering their massive lawns before you tell me to not come and take water from you. . .

Don't feel guilty. Come. We need your money.

This is the city's biggest single tourist event and puts millions of rands into the local economy. The facebook crusaders just hate cyclists in general and this has given them more amo to throw at their keyboards and Ipads.

If day zero comes it will be because our government, local and national, is useless and local residents didn't take the threat to heart. Your presence here will have precisely fokkol effect on day zero*

*Don't you just love catchy marketing phrases that we can all start repeating to add to our hysteria?

Anyone from Joburg going down by car/train?

I am only flying down on Friday Morning and back Sunday afternoon but my folks are there from Tuesday 6th till Wednesday 14th. We want to take some water with for coffee/drinks/shaving etc but thinking like 50 litres and not sure what the airlines will charge us. We really want to make as little an impact on water usage as possible.

We can obviously discuss a transport fee.

Just buy some water from local spar , R20?/5l and imported from vereeniging or somewhere up country already.

Then we get your water and your money :)

Edited by Karman de Lange