You are such a chop

Puncture Kid

When I cycled past you today on the Tygerberg MTB trails, I said HI. Not a word, or even a grunt from you. I said HI again. Nothing. Then, while riding a few meters in front of you my chain broke. You did not offer to help, phone someone, or even looked my way. Nothing. Just cycled past. You are a chop...

Edited by LouisVanAlphen

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people greet, some don't. Some stop to help, others don't. Never know, he could have been battling his own demons, or just had a loved one die and need to get out and stomp on the pedals. He could be super insular, and honestly not want to talk to anyone. Or, he could be a dooooosh. Don't let it bother you. Well, anymore than it has done already

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Some people greet, some don't. Some stop to help, others don't. Never know, he could have been battling his own demons, or just had a loved one die and need to get out and stomp on the pedals.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ A Million times over 

yup. sadly happening more and more. we used to be such a friendly bunch...

i now go out of my way to say hi to other riders

Same , but I won't moan if ONE guy didn't 

yup. sadly happening more and more. we used to be such a friendly bunch...

i now go out of my way to say hi to other riders

On the train on the way to work while I was in London, if you greeted a fellow passenger you used to get a flat stare and they'd walk the other way.

Nothing wrong with the person, it's just not a common practice to greet random strangers. Even if they're doing the same thing as you, or reading the same book etc.

Essentially an "I'm not your friend, I don't know you. Mind your own business and I'll mind mine. I'm not affecting you in any way, so don't bother me"

It’s a paradox of the English I have found. In some settings they are jovial an approachable aN gregarious, in others aloof aN restrained. I find it very weird

Which trail exactly? No offence, but this feels like a pretty passive aggressive post. Miles put it very well...butch up Alice, some people greet, some people don't, some people like the solitude of the ride & being in their own head or maybe hard of hearing....Or maybe didn't hear you, often when I ride I'm solving problems in my head, dealing with issues, etc, it's my quiet time away from the madness of home life & work.

I generally greet people, it's polite, but you know what? There are times when I got my own **** & I don't feel like greeting strangers & you know what else? I'm an adult & I don't have to. I assume you're an adult & so act accordingly & with a little empathy for others.

Side note: if you're going to ride alone (as I often do), at least be responsible enough to pack the commonly needed extras as most mountain bikers do...and for Pete's sake, at least take a charged mobile phone!

I guess some people seem to think they are important and entitled...

oozing self entitlement and self importance  this one :whistling:

Sometimes when I ride I'm chilled and greet - other times I'm considering life, the universe and solving work problems. and probably don't even see you.  Does this mean I'm a totally cool dude sometimes and a chop the other?

Empathy people - it works. The whole world doesn't revolve around just you.